18 June 2019, 11:09
The Georgian Church official accuses US acting ambassador of trying to aggravate the situation around LGBT-action in Georgia
Moscow, June 18, Interfax - Two actions were held in front of the Tbilisi City Hall on Friday evening: LGBT activists came out to stand for their rights, their opponents were also there. They were divided by a police cordon.
According to mass media reports, Georgian Orthodox church official archpriest David Isakadze accused acting US ambassador to Georgia Elizabeth Rood of attempts to aggravate the situation in Georgia in connection with LGBT activists action.
“It is clear who administer the processes in Georgia. We want to be an independent country, but in deeds, not in words. US authorities in person of the ambassador directly interfere in our domestic affairs. She wants to administer the processes here and turn people against each other,” the priest said and noted that together with his allies he was ready to ask the USA to recall their ambassador if she did not immediately urge the LGBT activists to disperse.
According to Georgian media, nine people were detained for disobedience to fulfill the requirements of law-enforcement agencies, especially for trying to break the cordon and prevent LGBT activists from holding their action.
Earlier on Friday, the patriarchate expressed an opinion that LGBT actions in Georgian capital on June 18-23 can cause unrests.
“Unfortunately several LGBT groups and their allies say to their foreign partners that they are oppressed and persecuted in Georgia and for this reason they want to receive serious financing. They want to represent their actions as struggle against discrimination, but in fact they just popularize and promote their lifestyle and strive to achieve its legalization,” the patriarchate said in its statement.
- The Russian Church warns that Trump's taxes on Chinese goods may lead to crisis of Christian mission in the USA 22 July 2019, 16:35
- Sagrada Familia and Notre Dame listed among five most frequently photoed sights 22 July 2019, 13:56
- "Contemporary" church to be built in the Setun valley in Moscow 22 July 2019, 11:38
- Georgian campaigners for gay propaganda ban hand out treats for signatures 22 July 2019, 11:34
- Icons presented to Putin and Lukashenko at Konevets monastery near St. Petersburg 18 July 2019, 11:58
- Russian Church hopes authorities will not impede Christianization Day procession in Ukraine 18 July 2019, 11:13
- The Russian Church warns Constantinople about probable awkward situation its officials can face in Kiev on the Day of Russia's Baptism 17 July 2019, 18:36
- Metropolitan Hilarion doesn't consider Moscow "the third Rome" 15 July 2019, 12:10
- Church split isn't matter for Russian, Ukrainian presidents - Russian Orthodox Church 15 July 2019, 11:16
- Rights of sexual minorities should not be violated in Russia – Moskalkova 10 July 2019, 14:10
- Priest's statement that women are less smart than men is nonsense - Russian human rights council head 10 July 2019, 11:50
- Holy Synod of Russian Church speaks out against split of Serbian Church in Montenegro 10 July 2019, 10:38
- Lukashenko denies rumors of secret talks he might have with Putin in Valaam 09 July 2019, 12:25
- Almost half of Jewish Europeans considering emigrating over antisemitism - report 08 July 2019, 18:41
- Women less smart than men - head of patriarch's commission 08 July 2019, 17:46
- Filaret 'Moscow's ally' - Orthodox Church of Ukraine 08 July 2019, 17:44
- Georgian priests demand square before parliament be cleared of protesters' banners 08 July 2019, 13:19
- Georgian LGBT community calls off Tbilisi action due to threats 08 July 2019, 12:06
- Putin speaks of pope's favorite writers, Dostoyevsky and Tolstoy 05 July 2019, 13:20
- Pope hails Russia's efforts to protect Christian holy places in Syria – Peskov 05 July 2019, 13:09
- Putin, Pope Francis did not discuss latter's visit to Russia – Peskov 05 July 2019, 13:07
- Putin talked with Pope Francis about protection of Christians in Syria 05 July 2019, 12:14
- Names of submariners killed in Barents Sea to be perpetuated on Kronstadt Naval Cathedral's walls 04 July 2019, 18:28
- Russian Orthodox Church hails contacts between Putin, Vatican 04 July 2019, 17:54
- Putin - Pope Francis meeting lasted exactly one hour (updated) 04 July 2019, 17:06
- Inviting Pope to Russia not to be raised during Putin's visit to Vatican - Ushakov 03 July 2019, 18:22
- Putin in Vatican to discuss restoration of Christian shrines in Syria, Roman Church's humanitarian projects in Donbas, Venezuela 03 July 2019, 18:20
- Filaret declares tomos granted by Constantinople to Ukraine false 02 July 2019, 18:03
- Peskov unaware whether Putin plans to invite Pope to Russia 01 July 2019, 14:39
- The Russian Orthodox Church condemns the law on bishops’ citizenship adopted in Latvia 01 July 2019, 13:29