18 June 2019, 11:09
The Georgian Church official accuses US acting ambassador of trying to aggravate the situation around LGBT-action in Georgia
Moscow, June 18, Interfax - Two actions were held in front of the Tbilisi City Hall on Friday evening: LGBT activists came out to stand for their rights, their opponents were also there. They were divided by a police cordon.
According to mass media reports, Georgian Orthodox church official archpriest David Isakadze accused acting US ambassador to Georgia Elizabeth Rood of attempts to aggravate the situation in Georgia in connection with LGBT activists action.
“It is clear who administer the processes in Georgia. We want to be an independent country, but in deeds, not in words. US authorities in person of the ambassador directly interfere in our domestic affairs. She wants to administer the processes here and turn people against each other,” the priest said and noted that together with his allies he was ready to ask the USA to recall their ambassador if she did not immediately urge the LGBT activists to disperse.
According to Georgian media, nine people were detained for disobedience to fulfill the requirements of law-enforcement agencies, especially for trying to break the cordon and prevent LGBT activists from holding their action.
Earlier on Friday, the patriarchate expressed an opinion that LGBT actions in Georgian capital on June 18-23 can cause unrests.
“Unfortunately several LGBT groups and their allies say to their foreign partners that they are oppressed and persecuted in Georgia and for this reason they want to receive serious financing. They want to represent their actions as struggle against discrimination, but in fact they just popularize and promote their lifestyle and strive to achieve its legalization,” the patriarchate said in its statement.
- Russian Orthodox Church welcomes Jerusalem patriarch's proposal of Church leaders' meeting to settle differences 21 November 2019, 20:50
- Patriarch of Jerusalem awarded for strengthening Orthodox Christian unity 21 November 2019, 20:47
- Patriarch of Jerusalem initiates meeting of heads of local churches in Amman with view to preserving church unity 21 November 2019, 17:22
- Putin stresses importance of joint efforts to protect Christians in Middle East 20 November 2019, 21:09
- OCU opponents picket Greek, Turkish embassies in Moscow (updated) 18 November 2019, 18:21
- St. Petersburg court releases leader of local Scientologists after 2.5 years of arrest 15 November 2019, 17:10
- Putin meets in Brasilia with church rector who converted from Catholicism to Orthodoxy 15 November 2019, 11:10
- There is war going on against traditional religions, younger generation is most vulnerable in this war - Patriarch Kirill 14 November 2019, 18:18
- Patriarch Kirill invited to visit Finland in spring 2020 14 November 2019, 16:57
- Christians persecuted in some African countries - Patriarch Kirill to religious leaders 14 November 2019, 16:55
- Europe losing Christian identity due to secularism - Patriarch Kirill 14 November 2019, 16:51
- Russian specialists may help restore Notre Dame in Paris 14 November 2019, 16:41
- Cathedral mosque to open in Crimea in summer 2020 13 November 2019, 18:28
- Ukrainian Jewish Committee slams Kiev lawmakers for naming streets after Nazi collaborators 13 November 2019, 13:13
- Patriarch of Alexandria receives letter with Kiss of Judas fresco after recognizing OCU 13 November 2019, 12:29
- Patriarch Kirill to cease liturgical commemoration of Patriarch of Alexandria - Moscow Patriarchate spokesman 08 November 2019, 17:41
- Jihadists prepare lone terrorists in the social networks - FSB chief 07 November 2019, 18:40
- Latvian Orthodox Church denies rumors about transition to Constantinople jurisdiction 07 November 2019, 14:54
- The synagogue near Moscow wins international award 07 November 2019, 14:22
- Lavrov blames U.S. for split of the Orthodox world 06 November 2019, 16:57
- The Russian Orthodox Church is responsible for the destiny of Orthodoxy all around the world 06 November 2019, 11:42
- Patriarch Kirill says global Orthodoxy will overcome schism 06 November 2019, 11:39
- Relations between Russian Orthodox Church, Russian Archdiocese abroad not based on submission - Metropolitan Jean 06 November 2019, 11:37
- Head of Russian parishes in Europe believes the West has great missionary potential 06 November 2019, 11:35
- Leader of Russian parishes in Europe expects new "Russian Exarchate" communities to join Russian Orthodox Church 05 November 2019, 19:50
- Sentence for leader of Tomsk Jehovah's Witnesses consistent with current Russian law - Peskov 05 November 2019, 16:13
- Radical Islamist detained on suspicion of plotting terror attack in Moscow 05 November 2019, 13:25
- Patriarch Kirill stopped mentioning head of Greek Church during religious service 03 November 2019, 11:32
- Patriarch Kirill gives Archbishop Jean document reuniting Archdiocese of Russian Churches in W. Europe with Moscow Patriarchate 03 November 2019, 11:27
- Metropolitan Hilarion says his meeting with Pompeo foiled by Russian Orthodox Church opponents 02 November 2019, 18:49