20 June 2019, 18:46
"Kiev Patriarchate" cancels its dissolution
Kiev, June 20, Interfax - The meeting held on Thursday by Filaret Denisenko and called by him the Local Council of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the Kiev Patriarchate (UOC-KP) cancelled a resolution of the December 15, 2018 Bishops' Council of UOC-KP on its liquidation.
"The Local Council does not approve but cancels the resolution of the bishops' or so-called Local Council because it was not a Local Council but the collection of signatures of hierarchs, one priest and two laymen on the nominal liquidation of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the Kiev Patriarchate at the requirement of Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew. The unifying council of Ukrainian churches on December 15, 2018 and the issue of the tomos of autocephaly would have been impossible without the nominal liquidation of the Kiev patriarchate," a resolution of the Local Council of the UOC-KP obtained by Interfax says.
The document says that UOC-KP "is registered by a government body and continues to exist and operate."
It also says that Patriarch of Kiev and all Russia Filaret "elected for life at the Local Council of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church (Kiev Patriarchate) on October 20-22, 1995" remains the head of the UOC-KP.
In line with the resolution, UOC-KP continues to own all means and property acquired at its own expense or received from government bodies or local self-government bodies, including churches, monasteries and educational institutions. All bank accounts are accounts of the Kiev Patriarchate as a legal entity.
All the monasteries in Kiev as well as all the parishes in Kiev are to be governed by the Kiev Patriarchate, the document says.
The resolution says that the tomos of autocephaly extended to the new church of Ukraine on January 6, 2019 in Istanbul does not comply with the charter of autocephalous Churches as it makes UOC dependent on the Ecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople.
"The council thanks Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew and all bishops of the Mother Church for attempting to resolve the Ukrainian church problem but we are not satisfied with the contents of the tomos of autocephaly of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church," the resolution says.
The document says that the charter of UOC-KP adopted at the council on May 13, 2016 and registered by the Ukrainian Ministry of Culture on July 8, 2016 remains its effective charter.
- Christ the Savior Cathedral "mined" the third time in a few days 09 December 2019, 17:12
- Patriarch Kirill asks Mayor Sobyanin to help restore Orthodox Church in America's representation church in Moscow 06 December 2019, 18:51
- Moscow's Cathedral of Christ the Savior receives 2nd bomb threat this week 06 December 2019, 12:41
- Zelensky urges clerics to back Ukraine's initiatives in run-up to Normandy-format summit 05 December 2019, 13:54
- Saint Isaac's Cathedral and 5 other churchs in St. Petersburg received bomb threats 05 December 2019, 13:52
- Serbian president invites Putin to attend opening of St. Sava Cathedral in Belgrade 04 December 2019, 19:35
- Moscow's Christ the Savior Cathedral alerted to bomb threat 03 December 2019, 20:55
- One year on OCU defectors account for less than 1% of our parishes - UOC 03 December 2019, 18:46
- Moscow Jewish Museum to break stereotypes - director 03 December 2019, 17:26
- FSB reports detention of 9 Hizb ut-Tahrir members recruited Muslims 03 December 2019, 14:12
- Russian Bishops' Council to assess global Orthodox situation in near future 02 December 2019, 20:27
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church calls for end of infowar between Ukraine, Russia 02 December 2019, 18:45
- Russian Patriarch Kirill invited to Estonia by country's Lutheran leader 29 November 2019, 18:31
- Moscow court arrests U.S. rabbi in absentia in Schneerson library case 29 November 2019, 13:56
- Putin notes importance of coordination with OIC in countering threats 29 November 2019, 12:04
- Abortion rate in Russia declines considerably in past 18 years 28 November 2019, 19:06
- Patriarch of Alexandria sends kisses to head of OCU 28 November 2019, 18:29
- FJCR sees plans to arrest U.S. rabbi in Schneerson library case as absurd 28 November 2019, 17:23
- Bulgarian Church takes step toward recognizing OCU 28 November 2019, 17:21
- Ukraine has seen no attacks motivated by anti-Semitism in past 3 years - Association of Jewish Communities 27 November 2019, 17:18
- ROCOR to build new church in U.S 27 November 2019, 17:17
- Orthodox priest in Russia's Jewish Autonomous Region suspected of child molestation 26 November 2019, 14:25
- Georgian patriarch, foreign ambassadors discuss detention of doctor Gaprindashvili in S. Ossetia 26 November 2019, 10:07
- Interreligious Council of Russia calls on int'l community to restore Middle East's holy sites 25 November 2019, 20:28
- Sholem Aleichem monument vandalized near synagogue in Kiev 25 November 2019, 18:46
- Russian parliament, govt agree that extra measures needed to fight domestic violence - Matviyenko 25 November 2019, 16:06
- Russian Orthodox Church cautions against combating domestic violence with Western methods 25 November 2019, 16:05
- Patriarch Kirill suspends operation of Alexandria Patriarchate's Moscow mission 25 November 2019, 11:35
- Meeting between heads of Churches important in crisis in inter-Orthodox relations - Metropolitan Hilarion 22 November 2019, 15:41
- Russian Orthodox Church welcomes Jerusalem patriarch's proposal of Church leaders' meeting to settle differences 21 November 2019, 20:50