20 June 2019, 19:39
Filaret's 'local assembly' shows Constantinople project in Ukraine is not viable - Russian Orthodox Church
Moscow, June 20, Interfax - Filaret Denisenko's decision to restore the "Kyiv Patriarchate" shows that Constantinople's plans to create a new Ukrainian church have failed, the Moscow Patriarchate said.
"There is nothing surprising that a building built on something other than the holy church canons, to suit seasonal political interests, starts rapidly disintegrating after another election," Archpriest Nikolay Balashov, deputy head of the Synodal Department for External Church Relations, told Interfax on Thursday.
"The situation has somewhat changed and suddenly everything became clear as daylight, and it became evidence that situational lies did not bring anything good, there was no and there is no recognition from local Orthodox Churches, and that means there was no point pretending that the elaborately decorated scroll for guest tours in Ukraine's regions really talks about autocephaly, that is, full independence recognized by everyone, there was no reason to share rights with Constantinople," the priest said.
Not only politicians and representatives of non-canonical religious organizations took part in the project, he said. "The saddest thing is [the situation with] the Constantinople Church, with which so many things are connected in our history, and in our recent life, at least for some of us. How could people who have centuries-old experience and keep Holy Traditions be tempted with such a cheap thing? When will the sun shine again on Tsargrad? It don't find answers to these questions. It hurts," he said.
At a meeting in Kiev on Thursday, which was called a local assembly, Filaret reversed the decision made by a similar assembly on December 15, 2018, where the non-canonical Kiev Patriarchate announced its self-dissolution.
- Russian prosecutors seeking to shut down Church of Last Testament 25 September 2020, 17:34
- Patriarch awards Lavrov the church order of Glory and Honor 23 September 2020, 18:35
- Followers of Church of the Last Testament gave part of their income to sect every month - source 23 September 2020, 18:29
- Two followers in Vissarion's community developed mental disorders - source 23 September 2020, 18:18
- Court arrests 3 leaders of Krasnoyarsk Church of the Last Testament 23 September 2020, 13:07
- Putin bestows Order for Merit to Fatherland, 1st degree on oldest ruling bishop of Russian Orthodox Church 22 September 2020, 17:38
- Berel Lazar invited to Bahrain 22 September 2020, 13:18
- Russian Church wishes Depardieu to stop on Orthodoxy in his spiritual search 21 September 2020, 15:39
- Forty percent of Russia support Lenin reburial, 1 out of every 5 say his body should stay in Mausoleum - poll 18 September 2020, 20:44
- FJCR head views Hasidic pilgrims attempting to enter Ukraine as 'violence against common sense' 18 September 2020, 18:31
- Zelensky's Rosh Hashanah greeting expresses hope for return to normal rhythm of life next year 18 September 2020, 18:26
- No Hasidic pilgrims left on Belarusian-Ukrainian border 18 September 2020, 18:23
- The FJCR calls a huge breakthrough recognition of Israel in the Arab Emirates and Bahrain 18 September 2020, 16:46
- Case opened against 2 Baltic Fleet servicemen who washed shoes in holy spring in Orthodox chapel 18 September 2020, 16:32
- Hasidic pilgrims initially heading to Uman begin leaving Belarusian-Ukrainian border 18 September 2020, 12:15
- Putin notes Russian Jewish community's role in countering Covid-19, in strengthening peace and accord 18 September 2020, 11:17
- Some 1,000 Hasidic pilgrims expecting permission to enter Ukraine from Belarus 17 September 2020, 15:30
- Minsk accuses Kiev of empty rhetoric, urges it to respect rights of Hasidic pilgrims 17 September 2020, 10:39
- Kiev calls on Belarusian authorities to ensure Hasidic pilgrims adhere to quarantine regulations 16 September 2020, 20:27
- Ukraine urges Belarus to stop raising tensions on border, not to make false statements to Hasidic pilgrims (updated) 16 September 2020, 17:18
- Ukraine closes checkpoint on border with Belarus near which Hasidic pilgrims gathering 16 September 2020, 15:35
- Ukraine unable to let in additional numbers of Hasidic pilgrims due to current situation - Foreign Ministry 16 September 2020, 10:45
- Minsk seeks to agree with Ukraine on green corridor for Hasidic pilgrims 16 September 2020, 10:43
- Pope of Rome to consider possibility of visiting Belarus 16 September 2020, 10:42
- Vatican insists on Archbishop Kondrusiewicz's return to Belarus 16 September 2020, 10:40
- Tents set up for Hasidic pilgrims gathering on Belarus' border with Ukraine 15 September 2020, 20:00
- Archbishop Kondrusiewicz deprived of Belarusian passport, not citizenship 15 September 2020, 18:45
- Ukraine asks Belarus not to allow Hasidic pilgrims gathering at border to cross it 15 September 2020, 18:20
- Man brought down from roof of Alexander Nevsky Monastery in St. Petersburg 14 September 2020, 19:02
- Man on roof of St. Petersburg's Alexander Nevsky Monastery for over ten hours refused to come down 14 September 2020, 15:23