20 June 2019, 19:39
Filaret's 'local assembly' shows Constantinople project in Ukraine is not viable - Russian Orthodox Church
Moscow, June 20, Interfax - Filaret Denisenko's decision to restore the "Kyiv Patriarchate" shows that Constantinople's plans to create a new Ukrainian church have failed, the Moscow Patriarchate said.
"There is nothing surprising that a building built on something other than the holy church canons, to suit seasonal political interests, starts rapidly disintegrating after another election," Archpriest Nikolay Balashov, deputy head of the Synodal Department for External Church Relations, told Interfax on Thursday.
"The situation has somewhat changed and suddenly everything became clear as daylight, and it became evidence that situational lies did not bring anything good, there was no and there is no recognition from local Orthodox Churches, and that means there was no point pretending that the elaborately decorated scroll for guest tours in Ukraine's regions really talks about autocephaly, that is, full independence recognized by everyone, there was no reason to share rights with Constantinople," the priest said.
Not only politicians and representatives of non-canonical religious organizations took part in the project, he said. "The saddest thing is [the situation with] the Constantinople Church, with which so many things are connected in our history, and in our recent life, at least for some of us. How could people who have centuries-old experience and keep Holy Traditions be tempted with such a cheap thing? When will the sun shine again on Tsargrad? It don't find answers to these questions. It hurts," he said.
At a meeting in Kiev on Thursday, which was called a local assembly, Filaret reversed the decision made by a similar assembly on December 15, 2018, where the non-canonical Kiev Patriarchate announced its self-dissolution.
- Synod authorizes Patriarch Kirill to stop mentioning head of Greek Orthodox Church if it associates itself with OCU 17 October 2019, 17:36
- Traditional moral values, democracy can coexist - Patriarch Kirill 14 October 2019, 20:22
- Patriarch Kirill could visit Korean Peninsula next June 14 October 2019, 20:09
- Holy Synod of Moscow Patriarchate to assess Church of Greece decision to recognize OCU this fall 13 October 2019, 20:45
- Greek Orthodox Church hierarchs recognize OCU autocephaly 13 October 2019, 20:44
- New Syrian constitution must guarantee interests of all ethnic, religious groups - Putin 13 October 2019, 20:36
- Alma-Ata police conduct searches at Jehovah's Witnesses office 13 October 2019, 20:35
- Kardashian was named Egine after baptizing in Armenia 11 October 2019, 10:47
- Three Russian Islamist women accused of killing prison guard in Pakistan 11 October 2019, 10:45
- Man hurt in shooting near monastery in southern Urals 11 October 2019, 10:33
- Today's methods for countering anti-Semitism insufficient - FJCR 11 October 2019, 10:32
- Daughter, son-in-law of Orenburg priest charged with child molestation left in custody 09 October 2019, 14:12
- Two Jehovah's Witnesses released from custody, placed under house arrest in Russia's Primorye 08 October 2019, 13:38
- Kardashian baptized children in Armenia 08 October 2019, 10:12
- Georgian patriarch hopes for German president to facilitate settlement of Transcaucasia's crises 08 October 2019, 10:07
- Patriarch Kirill congratulates Western Europe's 'Russian exarchate' on rejoining Russian Orthodox Church 08 October 2019, 10:03
- Russian Exarchate to keep financial independence, traditions within Russian Orthodox Church 08 October 2019, 10:00
- Russian Orthodox Church Synod includes in it former Constantinople 'Russian exarchate' (updated) 07 October 2019, 15:46
- FJCR announcing two new synagogues in Crimea 04 October 2019, 10:00
- The Maronite Patriarchate denies it has recognized the OCU 04 October 2019, 10:00
- Bashkir hunter shot the priest taking him for a bear 03 October 2019, 11:57
- Chasids leave Uman 02 October 2019, 20:15
- Russian religious donators give Syria school worth $300,000 30 September 2019, 15:57
- The Russian Orthodox Church official believes Jehovah's Witnesses in Russia are persecuted for extremism, not faith 30 September 2019, 13:57
- Adult adopted children of arrested Orenburg priest don't believe accusations against him 30 September 2019, 13:27
- Belarusian Orthodox Church doesn't need autocephaly - church head 30 September 2019, 11:57
- Russian Church welcomes the news about reunion with "Russia exarchate" clerics 30 September 2019, 10:37
- Putin greets Russian Jews on Rosh Hashanah 30 September 2019, 10:30
- Absolute majority of Russian Exarchate clerics in Europe join Moscow Patriarchate 28 September 2019, 19:42
- Russian Orthodox Church calls on media to refrain from labeling Archpriest Stremsky as pedophile before court ruling 27 September 2019, 16:51