02 June 2006, 14:23
Moscow Patriarchate: no negotiations held so far with Vatican on meeting between Alexy II and Benedict XVI
Moscow, June 2, Interfax - A Russian church official has stated that so far a meeting between Patriarch Alexy II of Moscow and All Russia and Pope Benedict XVI has not been discussed at the talks with the Vatican.
It has been reported earlier on Friday that the head of the Vatican's foreign policy department has expressed hope that a meeting between the patriarch and the pope will take place in the nearest future.
'There is no sensation whatsoever in Archbishop Giovanni Layolo's statement as every person has the right to hope. So far no official negotiations on the meeting between the patriarch and the Pope of Rome have been held', Rev. Igor Vyzhanov, secretary for inter-Christian relations of the Moscow Patriarchate Department for External Church Relations, said to Interfax on Friday.
At the same time, he reminded the agency that Patriarch Alexy had never rejected the possibility for such a meeting, pointing out that it might happen only after the fundamental contradictions in relations between the two Churches were resolved.
Commenting on Archbishop Layolo's statement that the Vatican and the Moscow Patriarchate still had difficulties 'in pursuit of a common vision of doctrine and history', the agency's interlocutor noted that 'it is difficult and perhaps impossible to rectify these differences after over one thousand years of division'.
'But what we can rectify must be rectified, first of all the practical problems of proselytism and the Greek-Catholic expansion in Ukraine', Father Igor added.
Speaking about the Catholic mission among the Orthodox, he stated that 'it is not an official policy of the Roman Catholic Church, as Cardinal Walter Kasper, among others, has stated'.
The priest also expressed hope that 'an improvement that has begun to show in our relations will influence particular representatives of the Catholic clergy who tolerate such an awkward activity in Russia and Ukraine'.
'I would like to believe in the good will of these people', the priest summed up.
- Notre Dame fire is menacing sign to all Europe, including Russia - Patriarch Kirill's press secretary 19 April 2019, 21:05
- Russia ready to help France with Notre Dame fire inquiry - emergency minister 19 April 2019, 18:06
- Over 100 tons of matzo produced in Russia on the eve of Passover 18 April 2019, 18:02
- Patriarch Kirill sends condolences over the fire at Notre Dame Cathedral 18 April 2019, 13:30
- Bortnikov warns about 1,500 trained Islamist terrorists returning to Europe 18 April 2019, 13:21
- FSB director says concerned about anti-Islamic terrorism, psycho killers 18 April 2019, 11:36
- Russian Church about Notre Dame fire: the world will never be the same 17 April 2019, 11:19
- Kremlin announces readiness to send Russian specialists to help restore Notre Dame in Paris 16 April 2019, 12:32
- Parishioners return to the restored Armenian church in Aleppo 16 April 2019, 12:06
- Russian Culture Ministry to propose organizing fundraiser to help restore Paris' Notre Dame 16 April 2019, 12:02
- Putin offers sympathy over Notre Dame Cathedral fire, offers sending best Russian specialists to Paris – Kremlin 16 April 2019, 12:00
- Russian Orthodox priest believes "real men" exist only in the Special Forces 15 April 2019, 17:40
- Lavrov, Patriarch Kirill discuss church crisis in Ukraine, Christian presence in Middle East 15 April 2019, 10:51
- Peter the Great's charter by which he appoints Metropolitan of Kiev delivered to Ukraine from Germany 15 April 2019, 10:50
- Crosses dismantled in Kuropaty have nothing to do with perpetuation of memory of Stalinist-era victims - Belarusian Ministry of Forestry 12 April 2019, 09:15
- Tajik court sentences former functionary of prohibited Islamic party to 15 years in prison 10 April 2019, 14:19
- Passover to prevent Jews from voting on April 21 "before star-rise" - Ukraine's chief rabbi 09 April 2019, 19:05
- Kiev court finds involuntary renaming of canonical Ukrainian Orthodox Church to be unlawful 08 April 2019, 10:56
- Synod conducts rotation of Patriarch Kirill's vicars 05 April 2019, 15:44
- Beautification works, dismantling of illegally erected crosses underway at Kuropaty 05 April 2019, 10:47
- Rabbi Lazar thanks Putin for his help in returning home Israeli soldier's remnants 04 April 2019, 19:01
- Head of OCU congratulates NATO on anniversary, calls to protect freedom from evil together 04 April 2019, 15:33
- Religious communities in Russia begin joint efforts for restoring schools in Syria 04 April 2019, 10:59
- Ukraine's new church fears possibility of tomos revocation 04 April 2019, 10:26
- 750,000 abortions performed in Russia annually, only one-fifth for medical reasons 03 April 2019, 14:29
- Russian Church calls on OSCE to boost religious freedom monitoring in Ukraine 03 April 2019, 12:25
- Karabakh settlement process cannot be one-way road - Catholicos of All Armenians 03 April 2019, 12:19
- ECHR to consider case of discrimination against UOC community in Rovno Region 01 April 2019, 18:18
- Leader of Russia's Jewish community outraged with new Rammstein video 29 March 2019, 18:28
- Kiev court to consider Church's name change lawsuit against Culture Ministry 29 March 2019, 18:22