02 June 2006, 14:23
Moscow Patriarchate: no negotiations held so far with Vatican on meeting between Alexy II and Benedict XVI
Moscow, June 2, Interfax - A Russian church official has stated that so far a meeting between Patriarch Alexy II of Moscow and All Russia and Pope Benedict XVI has not been discussed at the talks with the Vatican.
It has been reported earlier on Friday that the head of the Vatican's foreign policy department has expressed hope that a meeting between the patriarch and the pope will take place in the nearest future.
'There is no sensation whatsoever in Archbishop Giovanni Layolo's statement as every person has the right to hope. So far no official negotiations on the meeting between the patriarch and the Pope of Rome have been held', Rev. Igor Vyzhanov, secretary for inter-Christian relations of the Moscow Patriarchate Department for External Church Relations, said to Interfax on Friday.
At the same time, he reminded the agency that Patriarch Alexy had never rejected the possibility for such a meeting, pointing out that it might happen only after the fundamental contradictions in relations between the two Churches were resolved.
Commenting on Archbishop Layolo's statement that the Vatican and the Moscow Patriarchate still had difficulties 'in pursuit of a common vision of doctrine and history', the agency's interlocutor noted that 'it is difficult and perhaps impossible to rectify these differences after over one thousand years of division'.
'But what we can rectify must be rectified, first of all the practical problems of proselytism and the Greek-Catholic expansion in Ukraine', Father Igor added.
Speaking about the Catholic mission among the Orthodox, he stated that 'it is not an official policy of the Roman Catholic Church, as Cardinal Walter Kasper, among others, has stated'.
The priest also expressed hope that 'an improvement that has begun to show in our relations will influence particular representatives of the Catholic clergy who tolerate such an awkward activity in Russia and Ukraine'.
'I would like to believe in the good will of these people', the priest summed up.
- Most of the priests from Africa who joined the Russian Church have already received the right from Moscow to celebrate the liturgy 27 January 2022, 17:07
- Candles lit in Moscow in memory of the Holocaust victims 27 January 2022, 17:00
- Supporters of caliphate are among those detained in Kazakhstan during the January riots 27 January 2022, 16:53
- Holocaust Remembrance Day reinstated at Russian schools 27 January 2022, 10:16
- Russian Church reports a daily increase in the number of its parishes in Africa 26 January 2022, 10:12
- Russian delegation to PACE rejects accusations that LGBT people harassed in Chechnya 25 January 2022, 14:43
- Russian Church tightens coronavirus-related restrictions at Moscow churches 24 January 2022, 17:11
- House of Romanov hails Russian Orthodox Church's plans to recognize authenticity of 'Yekaterinburg remains' 24 January 2022, 10:03
- Nothing hinders recognition of authenticity of royal family's remains - Russian Orthodox Church member 24 January 2022, 10:00
- Christmas parliamentary meetings postponed indefinitely due to coronavirus situation 21 January 2022, 17:53
- Former Metropolitan Vladimir of St. Petersburg died at the age of 92 19 January 2022, 20:35
- Putin didn't take Epiphany ice plunge this year 19 January 2022, 13:35
- State Duma passes bill on life sentence for pedophiles 18 January 2022, 18:18
- Anti-Semitism is on the rise in Germany - Deputy Ambassador 18 January 2022, 18:16
- The head of Yakutia took part in Epiphany bathing in a 40-degree frost 18 January 2022, 18:10
- Patriarch Kirill admitted that part of the world Orthodoxy will go into schism 18 January 2022, 18:05
- Death penalty impossible in Russia - State Duma committee head 12 January 2022, 15:46
- Russian Orthodox Church works out a program of comprehensive presence in Africa 12 January 2022, 15:01
- Kazakh president urges preventing merger of criminality, religious extremism 11 January 2022, 11:38
- Russian Orthodox Church against lifting moratorium on death penalty 08 January 2022, 19:27
- Patriarch Kirill hopes Covid-19 pandemic will be over 07 January 2022, 19:28
- Patriarch Kirill prays for peace in Kazakhstan at Christmas service 07 January 2022, 19:26
- Patriarch Kirill concerned about the shortsightedness of politicians who speak to Russia from a position of strength 07 January 2022, 12:59
- Putin notes moral significance of Christmas 07 January 2022, 10:25
- Russian Orthodox Church sets up Patriarchal Exarchate of Africa 30 December 2021, 10:00
- Russian Church admits over 100 Patriarchate of Alexandria clerics as its members (updated) 29 December 2021, 17:56
- Russian govt orders monitoring of violations of citizens' rights along ethnic, religious lines 29 December 2021, 12:23
- Russian Church considers the long-term isolation of criminals no less effective than death penalty 29 December 2021, 11:30
- Russia not to reinstate death penalty in coming years - Presidential Human Rights Council member 29 December 2021, 11:14
- Group for protection of Christian values created at State Duma 29 December 2021, 11:12