01 July 2019, 13:29
The Russian Orthodox Church condemns the law on bishops’ citizenship adopted in Latvia
Moscow, July 1, Interfax - The Russian Orthodox church official speaks against the law urgently adopted by the Latvian saeima, according to which bishops of the Latvian Orthodox Church should be the country’s citizens.
"A citizen of any state can become the patriarch in our country, and I don’t think that the state can interfere in inner life of the Church and dictate who is able to become the Church head, a bishop or the parochial rector," head of the Synodal Department for External Church Relations Metropolitan Hilarion said on the Church and the World program on the television channel Rossiya-24 (VGTRK).
"It is absolutely impossible in the majority of western countries, however it is the reality in Latvia today," the metropolitan added.
He believes that if the parliament in Russia adopted the decision that the Orthodox Church can be headed by a citizen of Russia only, the mass media would make such a fuss around it and "this decision would be fairly considered an interference in inner affairs of the Church."
"By what right can a state order to the Church, who can become its head? However, when it happens in Latvia, everyone keeps silence, mass media does not react, meanwhile it is the rude interference in the things which are absolute prerogative of the Church. The Church can choose any person its head," the hierarch believes.
Metropolitan Hilarion also mentioned that in the Soviet times the statute of the Russian Orthodox Church had a provision that only a USSR citizen can be elected the patriarch of Moscow. He said that it had been introduced in the church statute on demand of the Soviet atheistic state.
- Holy Synod of Moscow Patriarchate to assess Church of Greece decision to recognize OCU this fall 13 October 2019, 20:45
- Greek Orthodox Church hierarchs recognize OCU autocephaly 13 October 2019, 20:44
- New Syrian constitution must guarantee interests of all ethnic, religious groups - Putin 13 October 2019, 20:36
- Alma-Ata police conduct searches at Jehovah's Witnesses office 13 October 2019, 20:35
- Kardashian was named Egine after baptizing in Armenia 11 October 2019, 10:47
- Three Russian Islamist women accused of killing prison guard in Pakistan 11 October 2019, 10:45
- Man hurt in shooting near monastery in southern Urals 11 October 2019, 10:33
- Today's methods for countering anti-Semitism insufficient - FJCR 11 October 2019, 10:32
- Daughter, son-in-law of Orenburg priest charged with child molestation left in custody 09 October 2019, 14:12
- Two Jehovah's Witnesses released from custody, placed under house arrest in Russia's Primorye 08 October 2019, 13:38
- Kardashian baptized children in Armenia 08 October 2019, 10:12
- Georgian patriarch hopes for German president to facilitate settlement of Transcaucasia's crises 08 October 2019, 10:07
- Patriarch Kirill congratulates Western Europe's 'Russian exarchate' on rejoining Russian Orthodox Church 08 October 2019, 10:03
- Russian Exarchate to keep financial independence, traditions within Russian Orthodox Church 08 October 2019, 10:00
- Russian Orthodox Church Synod includes in it former Constantinople 'Russian exarchate' (updated) 07 October 2019, 15:46
- FJCR announcing two new synagogues in Crimea 04 October 2019, 10:00
- The Maronite Patriarchate denies it has recognized the OCU 04 October 2019, 10:00
- Bashkir hunter shot the priest taking him for a bear 03 October 2019, 11:57
- Chasids leave Uman 02 October 2019, 20:15
- Russian religious donators give Syria school worth $300,000 30 September 2019, 15:57
- The Russian Orthodox Church official believes Jehovah's Witnesses in Russia are persecuted for extremism, not faith 30 September 2019, 13:57
- Adult adopted children of arrested Orenburg priest don't believe accusations against him 30 September 2019, 13:27
- Belarusian Orthodox Church doesn't need autocephaly - church head 30 September 2019, 11:57
- Russian Church welcomes the news about reunion with "Russia exarchate" clerics 30 September 2019, 10:37
- Putin greets Russian Jews on Rosh Hashanah 30 September 2019, 10:30
- Absolute majority of Russian Exarchate clerics in Europe join Moscow Patriarchate 28 September 2019, 19:42
- Russian Orthodox Church calls on media to refrain from labeling Archpriest Stremsky as pedophile before court ruling 27 September 2019, 16:51
- Defense lawyers for Orenburg priest charged with child sexual abuse appeal his arrest 27 September 2019, 16:03
- About ten priests came to the court to vouch for a person involved in Moscow case 27 September 2019, 11:41
- Gay couple from Russia, who are witnesses in case involving children they adopted, seeking asylum in U.S 26 September 2019, 19:58