04 July 2019, 17:06
Putin - Pope Francis meeting lasted exactly one hour (updated)
Vatican, July 4, Interfax - The meeting between Pope Francis and Russian President Vladimir Putin in Vatican has concluded.
The meeting was held at a Papal Palace library and lasted for about an hour, as required by the protocol for papal audiences with foreign guests.
Putin arrived at the palace about half an hour late and the meeting began 45 minutes after the scheduled time.
The two then exchanged gifts.
The pope presented Putin with an 18th century engraving with a view of St. Peter's Square as a Rome souvenir.
Putin gave the pope an icon of Apostles Peter and Paul.
At their last meeting in 2015, Putin gave Pope Francis a panel depicting the Christ the Savior Cathedral and several tomes of an Orthodox Encyclopedia. The pope gave the president a medallion with an inscription from the Gospel.
Two years previously, the Russian president presented the pope with an icon of Our Lady of Vladimir, while the pope gave him a maiolica with a view of the Vatican Gardens.
Putin and the Russian delegation then had a meeting with Vatican Secretary of State Pietro Parolin.
This is the third meeting between Putin and Pope Francis. The Pope received the Russian president in the Vatican in June 2015 and in November 2013.
The protocol of top-level meetings in the Vatican has been in effect for several hundred years.
- Belarusian Catholics deny info on U.S. interference in religious situation in country 30 September 2020, 12:24
- U.S. trying to play Belarusian Orthodox, Catholics off against each other - Russian foreign intelligence chief 29 September 2020, 16:32
- Patriarch Kirill prays for peaceful settlement of conflict in Karabakh 28 September 2020, 13:25
- Russian prosecutors seeking to shut down Church of Last Testament 25 September 2020, 17:34
- Patriarch awards Lavrov the church order of Glory and Honor 23 September 2020, 18:35
- Followers of Church of the Last Testament gave part of their income to sect every month - source 23 September 2020, 18:29
- Two followers in Vissarion's community developed mental disorders - source 23 September 2020, 18:18
- Court arrests 3 leaders of Krasnoyarsk Church of the Last Testament 23 September 2020, 13:07
- Putin bestows Order for Merit to Fatherland, 1st degree on oldest ruling bishop of Russian Orthodox Church 22 September 2020, 17:38
- Berel Lazar invited to Bahrain 22 September 2020, 13:18
- Russian Church wishes Depardieu to stop on Orthodoxy in his spiritual search 21 September 2020, 15:39
- Forty percent of Russia support Lenin reburial, 1 out of every 5 say his body should stay in Mausoleum - poll 18 September 2020, 20:44
- FJCR head views Hasidic pilgrims attempting to enter Ukraine as 'violence against common sense' 18 September 2020, 18:31
- Zelensky's Rosh Hashanah greeting expresses hope for return to normal rhythm of life next year 18 September 2020, 18:26
- No Hasidic pilgrims left on Belarusian-Ukrainian border 18 September 2020, 18:23
- The FJCR calls a huge breakthrough recognition of Israel in the Arab Emirates and Bahrain 18 September 2020, 16:46
- Case opened against 2 Baltic Fleet servicemen who washed shoes in holy spring in Orthodox chapel 18 September 2020, 16:32
- Hasidic pilgrims initially heading to Uman begin leaving Belarusian-Ukrainian border 18 September 2020, 12:15
- Putin notes Russian Jewish community's role in countering Covid-19, in strengthening peace and accord 18 September 2020, 11:17
- Some 1,000 Hasidic pilgrims expecting permission to enter Ukraine from Belarus 17 September 2020, 15:30
- Minsk accuses Kiev of empty rhetoric, urges it to respect rights of Hasidic pilgrims 17 September 2020, 10:39
- Kiev calls on Belarusian authorities to ensure Hasidic pilgrims adhere to quarantine regulations 16 September 2020, 20:27
- Ukraine urges Belarus to stop raising tensions on border, not to make false statements to Hasidic pilgrims (updated) 16 September 2020, 17:18
- Ukraine closes checkpoint on border with Belarus near which Hasidic pilgrims gathering 16 September 2020, 15:35
- Ukraine unable to let in additional numbers of Hasidic pilgrims due to current situation - Foreign Ministry 16 September 2020, 10:45
- Minsk seeks to agree with Ukraine on green corridor for Hasidic pilgrims 16 September 2020, 10:43
- Pope of Rome to consider possibility of visiting Belarus 16 September 2020, 10:42
- Vatican insists on Archbishop Kondrusiewicz's return to Belarus 16 September 2020, 10:40
- Tents set up for Hasidic pilgrims gathering on Belarus' border with Ukraine 15 September 2020, 20:00
- Archbishop Kondrusiewicz deprived of Belarusian passport, not citizenship 15 September 2020, 18:45