04 July 2019, 17:06
Putin - Pope Francis meeting lasted exactly one hour (updated)
Vatican, July 4, Interfax - The meeting between Pope Francis and Russian President Vladimir Putin in Vatican has concluded.
The meeting was held at a Papal Palace library and lasted for about an hour, as required by the protocol for papal audiences with foreign guests.
Putin arrived at the palace about half an hour late and the meeting began 45 minutes after the scheduled time.
The two then exchanged gifts.
The pope presented Putin with an 18th century engraving with a view of St. Peter's Square as a Rome souvenir.
Putin gave the pope an icon of Apostles Peter and Paul.
At their last meeting in 2015, Putin gave Pope Francis a panel depicting the Christ the Savior Cathedral and several tomes of an Orthodox Encyclopedia. The pope gave the president a medallion with an inscription from the Gospel.
Two years previously, the Russian president presented the pope with an icon of Our Lady of Vladimir, while the pope gave him a maiolica with a view of the Vatican Gardens.
Putin and the Russian delegation then had a meeting with Vatican Secretary of State Pietro Parolin.
This is the third meeting between Putin and Pope Francis. The Pope received the Russian president in the Vatican in June 2015 and in November 2013.
The protocol of top-level meetings in the Vatican has been in effect for several hundred years.
- State Duma Council to consider consultations on possible reintroduction of death penalty 27 September 2022, 20:44
- Patriarch Kirill calls for spiritual mobilization 27 September 2022, 15:34
- Russia's FSB reports detention a Muslim recruter in Moscow area 27 September 2022, 11:58
- Russian Church warns the West against "slipping into a bestial state" 23 September 2022, 12:11
- Patriarch Kirill declares the futility of attempts to intimidate the Russians 19 September 2022, 14:04
- Religious leaders call for ending conflicts, bloodshed in the world at congress in Nur-Sultan 15 September 2022, 14:49
- Some 10,000 believers attending papal mass in Kazakh capital 14 September 2022, 17:16
- Russian Supreme Court brands as terrorist, bans Islamic Renaissance Party of Tajikistan 14 September 2022, 11:42
- Pontiff urges religious leaders to help settle conflicts through dialogue 14 September 2022, 11:41
- Patriarch Kirill: attempts to build world order without relying on moral values led to fierce confrontation 14 September 2022, 11:40
- Bishop Nicholas of Manhattan elected new First Hierarch of Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia 13 September 2022, 20:42
- Catholicos of All Armenians urges world to react to Azerbaijan's actions 13 September 2022, 15:42
- Pope Francis arrives in Kazakhstan's capital 13 September 2022, 15:38
- Russian State Duma may hold hearings on LGBT propaganda ban in Oct-Nov 13 September 2022, 14:50
- Latvian Orthodox Church chooses not to argue with govt about its status 12 September 2022, 10:30
- Patriarch Kirill calls Elizabeth II symbol of sustainability of centuries-old traditions for entire Europe 09 September 2022, 13:02
- Russian Orthodox Church on declaration of Latvian Church's autocephaly by parliament: they surpassed Middle Ages 08 September 2022, 21:45
- Latvian Saeima endorses law on independence of Latvian Orthodox Church 08 September 2022, 19:06
- WCC refuses to accuse Russian Orthodox Church despite pressure 08 September 2022, 17:03
- Court in Primorye overrules order committing Yakutia shaman Gabyshev to hospital 08 September 2022, 10:31
- Russian ombudsman calls for moratorium on death penalty in DPR 07 September 2022, 14:42
- Patriarch Kirill highlights Russia's special role in modern history 06 September 2022, 17:35
- Riga seeking independence of Latvian Orthodox Church from Moscow Patriarchate (updated) 05 September 2022, 17:44
- Russian Orthodox Church outraged by interference of Latvian secular authorities in church affairs 05 September 2022, 15:32
- World Council of Churches refuses to isolate Russian Orthodox Church delegation at its assembly 01 September 2022, 21:32
- Russian Orthodox Church accuses German president of putting pressure on World Council of Churches 01 September 2022, 14:23
- Russian Orthodox Church views Kyiv's sanctions on Patriarch Kirill as PR campaign 31 August 2022, 17:25
- Fines for LGBT propaganda to be from 50,000 to 200,000 rubles for citizens, foreigners may be deported from Russia 31 August 2022, 16:42
- Ukrainian govt approves proposed sanctions against Patriarch Kirill 31 August 2022, 09:56
- Bishops' Council postponed indefinitely due to global situation - Russian Orthodox Church 25 August 2022, 21:06