05 July 2019, 13:20
Putin speaks of pope's favorite writers, Dostoyevsky and Tolstoy
Rome, July 5, Interfax - Pope Francis considers Fyodor Dostoyevsky and Leo Tolstoy his favorite writers and advises priests to study their works.
The pope said this during a meeting with Russian President Vladimir Putin in the Vatican on Wednesday. Putin spoke about it with the pope's permission at a lunch attended by representatives of Russian-Italian civil society forums.
"We are connected by deep cultural relations [...] I have to say we did address this in the conversation with the pope and he allowed me to say publicly that one of the books that are always on his table is a classic of Russian literature, Dostoyevsky and Tolstoy," Putin said.
"This shows that we have common deep spiritual roots, and that's why our events in the humanitarian sphere are so successful," he said.
Recalling the old Italian saying that "sincerity in relations is a guarantee of true of friendship," Putin said that "we [Russians] always value this quality in our Italian partners, directness, openness to dialogue and cooperation."
Italian Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte said "we should continue this path of friendship because our friendship is that fabric upon which we write the way of our further cooperation, between our companies, and between our civil societies."
Conte admitted that Italy "is in a fairly difficult situation now, especially as seen through the prism of the European Union over the tough attitude toward Russia."
"But our government remains open to the possibility of talks and the civil societies of our countries continue this dialogue with the same high enthusiasm, keeping up that spirit of dialogue and mutual love which has always characterized the relations between the two peoples," he said.
- Seventeen clandestine ISIL cells uncovered in Russia in 2019 17 September 2019, 18:06
- Putin says he sees Israel as Russian-speaking country 17 September 2019, 18:04
- Parishioners of the "Russian exarchate" in Paris enthusiastic about joining the Russian Orthodox Church 16 September 2019, 17:45
- Return of 'Russian exarchate' became possible due to radical changes in Russian Church, Russia in general - Patriarch Kirill 16 September 2019, 16:26
- Russian Orthodox Church denies rumors that head of Russian Church Abroad is missing 16 September 2019, 16:25
- Israel condemns defacing of monument to Holocaust victims in Ukraine's Nikolaev Region, demands perpetrators be punished 16 September 2019, 13:20
- The Russian Church about return of “Russian exarchate” parishes under its jurisdiction: a long way is almost accomplished 14 September 2019, 21:29
- Head of "Russian exarchate" of Constantinople joins Russian Orthodox Church 14 September 2019, 18:44
- Imam Velitov, convicted for justification of terrorism, leaves colony in Astrakhan 13 September 2019, 16:52
- Ukrainian court freezes "Kiev Patriarchate" liquidation 12 September 2019, 20:25
- Priest Alexander Volkov dismissed from the post of patriarchal press secretary 12 September 2019, 20:22
- Orthodox Businessman Malofeyev to leave A Just Russia 6 months after joining it 12 September 2019, 17:23
- Common moral, ethical values of all religions in Russia ensure state stability of country - Putin 12 September 2019, 17:21
- Guilt of men charged with attempted murder of Imam Chumakov unproven - Ingushetia jury 11 September 2019, 10:53
- State Dept. announces sanctions against 2 high-ranking Surgut investigators over Jehovah's Witnesses case (updated) 10 September 2019, 18:48
- The Russian Church official call modern Russian men a "national tragedy" 09 September 2019, 11:56
- The Russian Church will accept communities of the "Russian exarchate" ready to join it 09 September 2019, 11:20
- Russian Orthodox Church to continue reunification consultations with "Russian exarchate" 09 September 2019, 11:00
- Russian Jews to unveil monument to Roma victims of Nazism 05 September 2019, 16:00
- Jerusalem Patriarch takes the side of Russian Church in the "Ukrainian question" 05 September 2019, 15:57
- Constantinople appoints head of "Russian exarchate" a metropolitan responsible for establishing new church in Ukraine 05 September 2019, 13:06
- "Russian exarchate" in Europe refused to subordinate to Constantinople 04 September 2019, 10:54
- Some 40,000 Hasidic pilgrims expected to attend Rosh Hashanah celebration in Ukraine 03 September 2019, 11:07
- ROC metropolitan denies Constantinople accusations of non-canonical actions of the Moscow Patriarchate in Southeast Asia 29 August 2019, 15:43
- World Union of Old Believers set up in Moscow 29 August 2019, 13:05
- Holocaust victims monument vandalized in southern Ukraine 28 August 2019, 16:58
- Monument to Ukrainian nationalists unveiled at Jewish cemetery in Lvov Region 26 August 2019, 19:45
- Poroshenko warns of ongoing attacks on Ukrainian army, language, faith 26 August 2019, 17:13
- Founder of Russian icon museum - among victims of helicopter crash in Greece 22 August 2019, 12:50
- Al-Assad asks for Russian language teachers in Syria to counter Western culture and Wahhabism - Russian MP 20 August 2019, 15:28