05 July 2019, 13:20
Putin speaks of pope's favorite writers, Dostoyevsky and Tolstoy
Rome, July 5, Interfax - Pope Francis considers Fyodor Dostoyevsky and Leo Tolstoy his favorite writers and advises priests to study their works.
The pope said this during a meeting with Russian President Vladimir Putin in the Vatican on Wednesday. Putin spoke about it with the pope's permission at a lunch attended by representatives of Russian-Italian civil society forums.
"We are connected by deep cultural relations [...] I have to say we did address this in the conversation with the pope and he allowed me to say publicly that one of the books that are always on his table is a classic of Russian literature, Dostoyevsky and Tolstoy," Putin said.
"This shows that we have common deep spiritual roots, and that's why our events in the humanitarian sphere are so successful," he said.
Recalling the old Italian saying that "sincerity in relations is a guarantee of true of friendship," Putin said that "we [Russians] always value this quality in our Italian partners, directness, openness to dialogue and cooperation."
Italian Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte said "we should continue this path of friendship because our friendship is that fabric upon which we write the way of our further cooperation, between our companies, and between our civil societies."
Conte admitted that Italy "is in a fairly difficult situation now, especially as seen through the prism of the European Union over the tough attitude toward Russia."
"But our government remains open to the possibility of talks and the civil societies of our countries continue this dialogue with the same high enthusiasm, keeping up that spirit of dialogue and mutual love which has always characterized the relations between the two peoples," he said.
- The Russian Church warns that Trump's taxes on Chinese goods may lead to crisis of Christian mission in the USA 22 July 2019, 16:35
- Sagrada Familia and Notre Dame listed among five most frequently photoed sights 22 July 2019, 13:56
- "Contemporary" church to be built in the Setun valley in Moscow 22 July 2019, 11:38
- Georgian campaigners for gay propaganda ban hand out treats for signatures 22 July 2019, 11:34
- Icons presented to Putin and Lukashenko at Konevets monastery near St. Petersburg 18 July 2019, 11:58
- Russian Church hopes authorities will not impede Christianization Day procession in Ukraine 18 July 2019, 11:13
- The Russian Church warns Constantinople about probable awkward situation its officials can face in Kiev on the Day of Russia's Baptism 17 July 2019, 18:36
- Metropolitan Hilarion doesn't consider Moscow "the third Rome" 15 July 2019, 12:10
- Church split isn't matter for Russian, Ukrainian presidents - Russian Orthodox Church 15 July 2019, 11:16
- Rights of sexual minorities should not be violated in Russia – Moskalkova 10 July 2019, 14:10
- Priest's statement that women are less smart than men is nonsense - Russian human rights council head 10 July 2019, 11:50
- Holy Synod of Russian Church speaks out against split of Serbian Church in Montenegro 10 July 2019, 10:38
- Lukashenko denies rumors of secret talks he might have with Putin in Valaam 09 July 2019, 12:25
- Almost half of Jewish Europeans considering emigrating over antisemitism - report 08 July 2019, 18:41
- Women less smart than men - head of patriarch's commission 08 July 2019, 17:46
- Filaret 'Moscow's ally' - Orthodox Church of Ukraine 08 July 2019, 17:44
- Georgian priests demand square before parliament be cleared of protesters' banners 08 July 2019, 13:19
- Georgian LGBT community calls off Tbilisi action due to threats 08 July 2019, 12:06
- Putin speaks of pope's favorite writers, Dostoyevsky and Tolstoy 05 July 2019, 13:20
- Pope hails Russia's efforts to protect Christian holy places in Syria – Peskov 05 July 2019, 13:09
- Putin, Pope Francis did not discuss latter's visit to Russia – Peskov 05 July 2019, 13:07
- Putin talked with Pope Francis about protection of Christians in Syria 05 July 2019, 12:14
- Names of submariners killed in Barents Sea to be perpetuated on Kronstadt Naval Cathedral's walls 04 July 2019, 18:28
- Russian Orthodox Church hails contacts between Putin, Vatican 04 July 2019, 17:54
- Putin - Pope Francis meeting lasted exactly one hour (updated) 04 July 2019, 17:06
- Inviting Pope to Russia not to be raised during Putin's visit to Vatican - Ushakov 03 July 2019, 18:22
- Putin in Vatican to discuss restoration of Christian shrines in Syria, Roman Church's humanitarian projects in Donbas, Venezuela 03 July 2019, 18:20
- Filaret declares tomos granted by Constantinople to Ukraine false 02 July 2019, 18:03
- Peskov unaware whether Putin plans to invite Pope to Russia 01 July 2019, 14:39
- The Russian Orthodox Church condemns the law on bishops’ citizenship adopted in Latvia 01 July 2019, 13:29