10 July 2019, 10:38
Holy Synod of Russian Church speaks out against split of Serbian Church in Montenegro
Moscow, July 10, Interfax - The Holy Synod of the Russian Orthodox Church has expressed grave concern over the deterioration of the position of bishoprics of the Serbian Patriarchate in Montenegro.
"An alarming tendency is evolving in Montenegro of growing pressure of the government on the canonical clergy and laymen. The Bishops' Council of the Serbian Orthodox Church held on May 9-18, 2019 stated that there are "attempts to seize sacred objects for the benefit of the canonically and actually non-existent Montenegrin Orthodox Church and calls to destroy certain places of worship," a statement of the Holy Synod that held a session on Valaam says.
It says that Montenegrin President Milo Dukanovic at a party rally in Niksic on June 8 expressed intentions to "restore the Montenegrin Autocephalous Church."
The Synod is especially alarmed by the bill published by the Montenegrin government in May on the freedom of religion which contains several discriminatory measures such as the confiscation of part of the property of the Serbian Patriarchate, including churches and monasteries.
"Troubled by the latest initiatives of the Montenegrin authorities we are urging them to stop discriminating against the Serbian Orthodox Church and undermining its unity. We are raising our voices in its defense seeing the spiritual tradition dating back to St. Sava as a centuries' long historical foundation on which Montenegrin Orthodox Christian culture and statehood were built," the statement says.
At the same time the Holy Synod expressed support to the hierarchs, clergy and all parishioners of the Serbian Patriarchate in Montenegro who "despite the difficult conditions of persecution remain loyal to the truth of Sacred Orthodoxy."
- Extremism case opened against 5 members of Jehovah's Witnesses in Syktyvkar 04 March 2021, 13:15
- Putin orders Interior Ministry to prosecute provocateurs, suppress all manifestations of extremism 03 March 2021, 16:25
- Kremlin not commenting on end of discussion about monument on Lubyanskaya Square - Peskov 01 March 2021, 14:19
- Moscow Mayor Sobyanin proposes to leave Lubyanskaya Square as it is for now 26 February 2021, 22:42
- Acting leader of Abkhazian Diocese is member of Georgian Church - Georgian Patriarchate 26 February 2021, 17:44
- Search underway on premises of Sredneuralsky Convent 26 February 2021, 17:41
- Defrocked priest Sergy's pretrial detention extended until end of spring 26 February 2021, 10:00
- Armenian Apostolic Church urges politicians to start talks 25 February 2021, 15:04
- Omsk resident fined 375,000 rubles for excusing terror attack in New Zealand 25 February 2021, 11:48
- Yakutian shaman Gabyshev charged with violence against police officer 25 February 2021, 10:45
- Meeting between Russian patriarch, Pope doesn't improve Christians' position in Middle East contrary to expectations - Metropolitan Hilarion 24 February 2021, 10:00
- Muscovites will choose between monuments to Dzerzhinsky, Alexander Nevsky on Lubyanka Square 20 February 2021, 10:03
- Former schema-monk Sergy admits giving bribe amounting to 'millions of dollars' 18 February 2021, 16:30
- World Russian People's Council backs idea of Ivan III monument on Lubyanka Square in Moscow 18 February 2021, 16:11
- FJCR suggests reinstalling fountain at Lubyanka 18 February 2021, 15:30
- Suspected organizer of Jehovah's Witnesses cell in Russia's Kemerovo region placed under house arrest 17 February 2021, 14:11
- Police detain man who splashed Holocaust monument in Yerevan with paint 17 February 2021, 13:44
- The giant castle of corona cannibal to be burned in Russia on Maslenitsa 17 February 2021, 12:08
- Lawyers' association supports bill limiting surrogate motherhood in Russia 17 February 2021, 10:00
- FSB detain people suspected of financing ISIL under guise of donations to mosques in Crimea, Tatarstan 16 February 2021, 15:19
- World Union of Old Believers backs idea to place Ivan III monument on Moscow's Lubyanka Square 16 February 2021, 09:44
- Metropolitan Hilarion concerned by detention on non-participants in unsanctioned rallies 15 February 2021, 09:17
- Moscow court arrests 2 Jehovah's Witnesses 15 February 2021, 09:15
- Foreign Intelligence Service head compares those who insult WWII veterans to Nazi collaborators 12 February 2021, 11:53
- Congress of the Leaders of World and Traditional Religions in Kazakhstan postponed to next year 12 February 2021, 11:07
- Sputnik V vaccine halal - Gamaleya Center expert 12 February 2021, 10:03
- Court denies former schema hegumen Sergy right to participate in dispute over church on territory of Sredneuralsky Convent 10 February 2021, 20:39
- Several organizers of Jehovah's Witnesses cell detained in Moscow 10 February 2021, 11:43
- Resident of Russia's Dagestan jailed for 10 years for killing local rabbi 10 February 2021, 11:14
- Tajik authorities classify sentence of opposition Islamic party leader 09 February 2021, 17:35