22 July 2019, 11:34
Georgian campaigners for gay propaganda ban hand out treats for signatures
Tbilisi, July 22, Interfax - Georgian anti-LGBT activists campaigning for a ban on gay propaganda have begun gathering signatures outside the construction site of a Church of Our Lady of Iveron in Zugdidi, the administrative center of Western Georgia.
Nearby, the organizers threw a big street party welcoming everyone who signed the petition, the Georgian media said.
The process is overseen by representatives from the For a united and moral Georgia movement led by its leader Guram Palavandishvili, who were joined by the businessman Levan Vasadze, a staunch supporter of traditional values.
The petition is two-point, the media said. The first point calls for change to the non-discrimination law, which bans all forms of discrimination, and demands the removal of the terms "sexual orientation" and "gender identity" from the law. The second point calls on legislature to ban the propaganda of homosexuality.
The movement's leaders have repeatedly stated that their task is to get national parliament to repeal the non-discrimination law which enabled the LGBT community "to propagate their views and way of life in the society." Their demand is actively supported by the Georgian Orthodox Church.
- Moscow denies reports of its agreement with Israel to trade Alexander Metochion for Issachar's pardon 10 April 2020, 18:48
- Russian Church does not prohibit its parishioners to come to churches on Easter 10 April 2020, 18:46
- First Russian Orthodox Church clergyman dies of coronavirus 10 April 2020, 13:51
- Kremlin expects Israel to remain committed to decision on Alexander Metochion's handover 09 April 2020, 18:45
- Russian Muslim board allows burying coronavirus victims without ablution 09 April 2020, 15:03
- Russian clergy drive through New York with the cross against coronavirus 09 April 2020, 13:36
- Opera singer Svetlana Kasyan recovered from coronavirus and plans a charity concert in Moscow cathedral 09 April 2020, 12:27
- Putin congratulates Jews on Pesach 09 April 2020, 11:58
- Russia to seek return of Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem in court - Stepashin 08 April 2020, 18:48
- The unemployed man detained in St. Petersburg for making inscription about coronavirus on a church wall 08 April 2020, 15:16
- About 80,000 Jewish families in Russia received a set of Kosher food on Pesach 08 April 2020, 14:53
- Patriach Kirill urges to consider the pandemic a chance to change for the better 08 April 2020, 11:11
- About 80 tons of matzo were delivered free for Pesach in Russia 06 April 2020, 19:35
- Four Moscow clergymen diagnosed with coronavirus, 4 suspected of having it - patriarchate 06 April 2020, 19:13
- Oldest synagogue in Russia celebrates its 140th anniversary 06 April 2020, 17:40
- Clerics hold air processions with cross against coronavirus above Volgograd and Kuzbass 06 April 2020, 15:14
- Patriarch Kirill urges believers to sturdily face all "temporary difficulties" 03 April 2020, 18:07
- Patriarch Kirill going around Moscow with icon to rid people of coronavirus 03 April 2020, 17:47
- Almost all members of the Moscow Jewish Community recovered from Covid-19 03 April 2020, 17:10
- Russian Orthodox Church considers untimely forecasts about the form of Easter celebrations 03 April 2020, 16:43
- Heads of Jewish communities around the world urge to exchange words of support on the eve of Pesach 03 April 2020, 14:00
- One more Russian Orthodox metropolitan carries out air procession with cross against coronavirus 02 April 2020, 17:34
- Head of the Byelorussian Orthodox Church to fly along the country’s borders with relics and prayers to stop coronavirus 02 April 2020, 17:32
- About 20 members of Jewish community of Russia hospitalized with coronavirus suspected 02 April 2020, 16:05
- Moscow rabbi recovers from coronavirus 01 April 2020, 17:09
- Patriarch to go around Moscow with icon of Our Lady to rid people of coronavirus 01 April 2020, 13:24
- Patriarch Kirill calls on believers to refrain from visiting churches amid coronavirus pandemic 29 March 2020, 20:09
- Opera singer Svetlana Kasyan hospitalized with coronavirus 28 March 2020, 18:10
- Patriarch Kirill prays for the end of pandemic 28 March 2020, 17:58
- The Federation of Jewish Communities of Russia will give Pesach food sets to all parishioners 28 March 2020, 17:55