05 August 2019, 18:47
U.S. consul general denies Washington's involvement in Yekaterinburg protests
Yekaterinburg, August 5, Interfax - The United States administration was not involved in May's protests in Yekaterinburg against the building of a St. Catherine's Church in the city center, U.S. Consul General Paul Carter told the Ekho Moskvy radio on Monday.
"As for the protest that took place here about the building of the cathedral, I think some people want to believe that somehow this was instigated by the United States, but I can assure you that our consulate and the United States had nothing to do with those protests," Carter said.
The matter was entirely for Russian citizens, he said.
"It's really not our concern whether or not the cathedral is built or where. This is an issue for Russians to decide amongst themselves. We are concerned, however, about violence, any violence that might take place at the protest or did take place at those protests. We believe that such matters are better resolved through peaceful negotiations and a political process," Carter said.
The protests were held in mid-May against the construction of the church near a drama theater in Oktyabrskaya Square. Later the city authorities said they would conduct a public opinion poll. The poll is due this fall.
- Holy Synod of Moscow Patriarchate to assess Church of Greece decision to recognize OCU this fall 13 October 2019, 20:45
- Greek Orthodox Church hierarchs recognize OCU autocephaly 13 October 2019, 20:44
- New Syrian constitution must guarantee interests of all ethnic, religious groups - Putin 13 October 2019, 20:36
- Alma-Ata police conduct searches at Jehovah's Witnesses office 13 October 2019, 20:35
- Kardashian was named Egine after baptizing in Armenia 11 October 2019, 10:47
- Three Russian Islamist women accused of killing prison guard in Pakistan 11 October 2019, 10:45
- Man hurt in shooting near monastery in southern Urals 11 October 2019, 10:33
- Today's methods for countering anti-Semitism insufficient - FJCR 11 October 2019, 10:32
- Daughter, son-in-law of Orenburg priest charged with child molestation left in custody 09 October 2019, 14:12
- Two Jehovah's Witnesses released from custody, placed under house arrest in Russia's Primorye 08 October 2019, 13:38
- Kardashian baptized children in Armenia 08 October 2019, 10:12
- Georgian patriarch hopes for German president to facilitate settlement of Transcaucasia's crises 08 October 2019, 10:07
- Patriarch Kirill congratulates Western Europe's 'Russian exarchate' on rejoining Russian Orthodox Church 08 October 2019, 10:03
- Russian Exarchate to keep financial independence, traditions within Russian Orthodox Church 08 October 2019, 10:00
- Russian Orthodox Church Synod includes in it former Constantinople 'Russian exarchate' (updated) 07 October 2019, 15:46
- FJCR announcing two new synagogues in Crimea 04 October 2019, 10:00
- The Maronite Patriarchate denies it has recognized the OCU 04 October 2019, 10:00
- Bashkir hunter shot the priest taking him for a bear 03 October 2019, 11:57
- Chasids leave Uman 02 October 2019, 20:15
- Russian religious donators give Syria school worth $300,000 30 September 2019, 15:57
- The Russian Orthodox Church official believes Jehovah's Witnesses in Russia are persecuted for extremism, not faith 30 September 2019, 13:57
- Adult adopted children of arrested Orenburg priest don't believe accusations against him 30 September 2019, 13:27
- Belarusian Orthodox Church doesn't need autocephaly - church head 30 September 2019, 11:57
- Russian Church welcomes the news about reunion with "Russia exarchate" clerics 30 September 2019, 10:37
- Putin greets Russian Jews on Rosh Hashanah 30 September 2019, 10:30
- Absolute majority of Russian Exarchate clerics in Europe join Moscow Patriarchate 28 September 2019, 19:42
- Russian Orthodox Church calls on media to refrain from labeling Archpriest Stremsky as pedophile before court ruling 27 September 2019, 16:51
- Defense lawyers for Orenburg priest charged with child sexual abuse appeal his arrest 27 September 2019, 16:03
- About ten priests came to the court to vouch for a person involved in Moscow case 27 September 2019, 11:41
- Gay couple from Russia, who are witnesses in case involving children they adopted, seeking asylum in U.S 26 September 2019, 19:58