07 August 2019, 20:39
Vilnius synagogue closes due to local Jews' safety fears
Moscow, August 7, Interfax - Senior members of the Lithuanian Jewish community have decided to close its office and the synagogue in Vilnius for safety reasons.
"Amid the escalating tension, neither our community nor the synagogue have the possibility to ensure the safety of the people coming here, some of whom were victims of the Nazi during Holocaust," the community was quoted by the Rossiyskaya Gazeta newspaper as saying in a statement.
The surge in anti-Semitism occurred after a plaque commemorating "forest brother" Jonas Norejka was removed from the facade of the Lithuanian Sciences' Academy library. It was removed at the behest of Vilnius Mayor Remigijus Simasius who said there was evidence of Norejka's involvement in the creation of a Jewish ghetto. The move prompted mixed reactions, the country's president called for a moratorium on the "erasing of historical memory."
"That the anti-Semitic comments and posts (even the Christians' Saint Mary was called a Jew), published by parties and their chairmen on their accounts open to the general public, remain unpunished makes one think twice if we are safe. We would like to hear the opinion and clear position of Lithuanian leaders, whether Lithuania will continue to connive in public propaganda in support of the veneration of the people involved in the extermination of Jews," the community said.
The authors of the statement have asked for protection from potential vandal attacks at the local Jewish cemetery.
The newspaper cited archival data which said that the extermination of Lithuanian Jews began before the Nazi came. In the first five months of 1941 over 200,000 women, old people and children, or 98% of the Jewish population, were killed. After the war experts recognized that this proportion was highest among Nazi-occupied countries.
In recent years Russia's Jewish community has expressed its protest against nationalist marches in Lithuania with placard photos of recognized war criminals.
- Holy Synod of Moscow Patriarchate to assess Church of Greece decision to recognize OCU this fall 13 October 2019, 20:45
- Greek Orthodox Church hierarchs recognize OCU autocephaly 13 October 2019, 20:44
- New Syrian constitution must guarantee interests of all ethnic, religious groups - Putin 13 October 2019, 20:36
- Alma-Ata police conduct searches at Jehovah's Witnesses office 13 October 2019, 20:35
- Kardashian was named Egine after baptizing in Armenia 11 October 2019, 10:47
- Three Russian Islamist women accused of killing prison guard in Pakistan 11 October 2019, 10:45
- Man hurt in shooting near monastery in southern Urals 11 October 2019, 10:33
- Today's methods for countering anti-Semitism insufficient - FJCR 11 October 2019, 10:32
- Daughter, son-in-law of Orenburg priest charged with child molestation left in custody 09 October 2019, 14:12
- Two Jehovah's Witnesses released from custody, placed under house arrest in Russia's Primorye 08 October 2019, 13:38
- Kardashian baptized children in Armenia 08 October 2019, 10:12
- Georgian patriarch hopes for German president to facilitate settlement of Transcaucasia's crises 08 October 2019, 10:07
- Patriarch Kirill congratulates Western Europe's 'Russian exarchate' on rejoining Russian Orthodox Church 08 October 2019, 10:03
- Russian Exarchate to keep financial independence, traditions within Russian Orthodox Church 08 October 2019, 10:00
- Russian Orthodox Church Synod includes in it former Constantinople 'Russian exarchate' (updated) 07 October 2019, 15:46
- FJCR announcing two new synagogues in Crimea 04 October 2019, 10:00
- The Maronite Patriarchate denies it has recognized the OCU 04 October 2019, 10:00
- Bashkir hunter shot the priest taking him for a bear 03 October 2019, 11:57
- Chasids leave Uman 02 October 2019, 20:15
- Russian religious donators give Syria school worth $300,000 30 September 2019, 15:57
- The Russian Orthodox Church official believes Jehovah's Witnesses in Russia are persecuted for extremism, not faith 30 September 2019, 13:57
- Adult adopted children of arrested Orenburg priest don't believe accusations against him 30 September 2019, 13:27
- Belarusian Orthodox Church doesn't need autocephaly - church head 30 September 2019, 11:57
- Russian Church welcomes the news about reunion with "Russia exarchate" clerics 30 September 2019, 10:37
- Putin greets Russian Jews on Rosh Hashanah 30 September 2019, 10:30
- Absolute majority of Russian Exarchate clerics in Europe join Moscow Patriarchate 28 September 2019, 19:42
- Russian Orthodox Church calls on media to refrain from labeling Archpriest Stremsky as pedophile before court ruling 27 September 2019, 16:51
- Defense lawyers for Orenburg priest charged with child sexual abuse appeal his arrest 27 September 2019, 16:03
- About ten priests came to the court to vouch for a person involved in Moscow case 27 September 2019, 11:41
- Gay couple from Russia, who are witnesses in case involving children they adopted, seeking asylum in U.S 26 September 2019, 19:58