12 August 2019, 14:53
Gay couple with adopted children can't return to Russia yet - rights activists
Moscow, August 12, Interfax - The same-sex family raising two children currently cannot return to Russia for fear of violations of the family's privacy, the LGBT human rights community Vykhod told Interfax.
"The return is hindered by the actions of law enforcement agencies, which cast doubt on the safety and security of the family's private life. In this situation, the family has not yet decided whether it is safe for them to return to Russia. They are now on vacation until early September, when the school year starts. The main thing for the parents is to protect their family and create a safe space for their children. Therefore, the couple and the children relocated to a different country after their vacation in Kiev (we cannot specify the country for safety reasons)," human rights activists said.
According to earlier reports, a criminal case against the child protective service officials who allowed the adoption of two boys by a gay couple had been opened in Moscow, the first of its kind.
The Main Investigative Directorate of the Russian Investigative Committee has opened a criminal case against officials of the social protection services in the Maryino neighborhood of Moscow's Southeastern Administrative District. The officials have been charged with improper fulfilment of duties to supervise the living conditions of adopted children due to negligence leading to a considerable violation of the rights and lawful interests of citizens, as well as the interests of the state protected by law, the press service for the Russian Investigative Committee told Interfax.
"According to the investigators, a man has raised two young adopted boys while living with another man since 2010. He promotes non-traditional relations, cultivating in the children distorted ideas of family values, harming their health and moral and spiritual development," the Investigative Committee said.
The residences of the gay couple and the parents and the brother of one of the men were then searched. According to the organization, the men are witnesses in the case. They had not been notified about the searches, which were conducted when they were on vacation abroad, Vykhod said. They do not plan to return.
The lawyers for the family are now trying to become familiar with the materials of the probes and the protocols of investigative actions, but they are not being given any documents and their written inquiries are being ignored. The searches will be appealed in court this week. The defense attorneys are confident that the searches of the residences of the "witnesses" (the case was in fact opened against the child protective services) and the way they were conducted (early in the morning, the door to the apartment was broken) are "nothing else than an attempt to pressure a same-sex couple to take the children from them."
"The parents and the children are now in a safe country. One of the reasons why it happened is that high-ranking officials interfere in family affairs, forcing their own ideas of life on society and trying to take the case from the legal realm to a political one. The same-sex parents have not broken any laws and therefore the pressure on them should immediately stop. The children want to live with their parents," Max Olenichev, a legal adviser with the LBGT group Vykhod, told Interfax.
The Russian Family Code does not prohibit adoptions of children by single people, LGBT group Vykhod said.
- Holy Synod of Moscow Patriarchate to assess Church of Greece decision to recognize OCU this fall 13 October 2019, 20:45
- Greek Orthodox Church hierarchs recognize OCU autocephaly 13 October 2019, 20:44
- New Syrian constitution must guarantee interests of all ethnic, religious groups - Putin 13 October 2019, 20:36
- Alma-Ata police conduct searches at Jehovah's Witnesses office 13 October 2019, 20:35
- Kardashian was named Egine after baptizing in Armenia 11 October 2019, 10:47
- Three Russian Islamist women accused of killing prison guard in Pakistan 11 October 2019, 10:45
- Man hurt in shooting near monastery in southern Urals 11 October 2019, 10:33
- Today's methods for countering anti-Semitism insufficient - FJCR 11 October 2019, 10:32
- Daughter, son-in-law of Orenburg priest charged with child molestation left in custody 09 October 2019, 14:12
- Two Jehovah's Witnesses released from custody, placed under house arrest in Russia's Primorye 08 October 2019, 13:38
- Kardashian baptized children in Armenia 08 October 2019, 10:12
- Georgian patriarch hopes for German president to facilitate settlement of Transcaucasia's crises 08 October 2019, 10:07
- Patriarch Kirill congratulates Western Europe's 'Russian exarchate' on rejoining Russian Orthodox Church 08 October 2019, 10:03
- Russian Exarchate to keep financial independence, traditions within Russian Orthodox Church 08 October 2019, 10:00
- Russian Orthodox Church Synod includes in it former Constantinople 'Russian exarchate' (updated) 07 October 2019, 15:46
- FJCR announcing two new synagogues in Crimea 04 October 2019, 10:00
- The Maronite Patriarchate denies it has recognized the OCU 04 October 2019, 10:00
- Bashkir hunter shot the priest taking him for a bear 03 October 2019, 11:57
- Chasids leave Uman 02 October 2019, 20:15
- Russian religious donators give Syria school worth $300,000 30 September 2019, 15:57
- The Russian Orthodox Church official believes Jehovah's Witnesses in Russia are persecuted for extremism, not faith 30 September 2019, 13:57
- Adult adopted children of arrested Orenburg priest don't believe accusations against him 30 September 2019, 13:27
- Belarusian Orthodox Church doesn't need autocephaly - church head 30 September 2019, 11:57
- Russian Church welcomes the news about reunion with "Russia exarchate" clerics 30 September 2019, 10:37
- Putin greets Russian Jews on Rosh Hashanah 30 September 2019, 10:30
- Absolute majority of Russian Exarchate clerics in Europe join Moscow Patriarchate 28 September 2019, 19:42
- Russian Orthodox Church calls on media to refrain from labeling Archpriest Stremsky as pedophile before court ruling 27 September 2019, 16:51
- Defense lawyers for Orenburg priest charged with child sexual abuse appeal his arrest 27 September 2019, 16:03
- About ten priests came to the court to vouch for a person involved in Moscow case 27 September 2019, 11:41
- Gay couple from Russia, who are witnesses in case involving children they adopted, seeking asylum in U.S 26 September 2019, 19:58