29 August 2019, 15:43
ROC metropolitan denies Constantinople accusations of non-canonical actions of the Moscow Patriarchate in Southeast Asia
Moscow, August 29, Interfax - Patriarch Kirill's exarch in Southeast Asia Metropolitan Sergy justified actions of the Russian Orthodox Church in the region as they were questioned by Metropolitan Ambrose of Korea from the Constantinople Patriarchate in his interview.
"The pastoral and missionary ministry of the Russian Orthodox Church in Asia has never been challenged by any Local Orthodox Church; on the contrary, it was welcomed", the Russian hierarch wrote in his open letter to the Constantinople metropolitan as its text was conveyed to Interfax.
In response to accusations in non-canonical actions Metropolitan Sergy reminded his counterpart the history of Orthodoxy in Southeast Asia.
"Russian priests began their pastoral ministry in China in 1685; St. Nicholas (Kasatkin) came to Japan in 1861, and the Russian Ecclesiastical Mission in Korea was established in 1897. Russian parishes appeared in Indonesia in 1934; in the same year, a parish was opened in Manila. St. John (Maximovitch) of Shanghai celebrated the first divine services in Vietnam in 1949. This is only some of the documentary evidence of the beginning of the Russian Church's mission in the countries of South and Southeast Asia during which no other Orthodox Church was represented," he writes.
Metropolitan Sergy also noted that the Mission's work was forcibly stopped. After the end of World War II, the South Korean authorities and the American occupation administration waged a struggle for several years, seeking to bring the Mission out of the jurisdiction of the Moscow Patriarchate. Incapable of doing it by any legal means, the South Korean authorities in 1949 banished the Mission's head Archimandrite Polycarp from the country. For political reasons, the work of the Mission was suspended and its property was confiscated, the Metropolitan reminds.
"Therefore, today we speak not of the establishment of a 'parallel Church' but of the restoration of the ecclesiastical mission of the Russian Orthodox Church. It is conditioned by the need to provide pastoral care to our compatriots in all parts of the globe including Asia, as well as by the impossibility of our flock at present to partake of the Mysteries in the Church of Constantinople as it has entered into communion with schismatics and invaded the canonical bounds of the Moscow Patriarchate in Ukraine," he writes.
Metropolitan Sergy reminded that Metropolis of Korea had recently celebrated the 119th anniversary of the first Divine Liturgy in Korea - that is, the anniversary of the beginning of the Russian Church's mission in Korea. "Do you want to say that you celebrated an anniversary of 'non-canonical actions'?" wonders the Russian Church hierarch.
He also said that "our Churches are experiencing a difficult period in relationships."
"But let us do all we can to ensure that the flock in Korea and other countries of Southeast Asia is not affected by them, so that everyone can have an opportunity for praying and partaking of the Holy Mysteries of Christ and can preach Orthodoxy without hindrance", Metropolitan Sergy resumed his letter to his Constantinople brother.
As was reported, establishment of two patriarchal exarchates - in Europe and Asia - was the ROC response to non-canonical, on its opinion, decisions of Constantinople in Ukraine.
See more under the Documents heading.
- Parishioners of the "Russian exarchate" in Paris enthusiastic about joining the Russian Orthodox Church 16 September 2019, 17:45
- Return of 'Russian exarchate' became possible due to radical changes in Russian Church, Russia in general - Patriarch Kirill 16 September 2019, 16:26
- Russian Orthodox Church denies rumors that head of Russian Church Abroad is missing 16 September 2019, 16:25
- Israel condemns defacing of monument to Holocaust victims in Ukraine's Nikolaev Region, demands perpetrators be punished 16 September 2019, 13:20
- The Russian Church about return of “Russian exarchate” parishes under its jurisdiction: a long way is almost accomplished 14 September 2019, 21:29
- Head of "Russian exarchate" of Constantinople joins Russian Orthodox Church 14 September 2019, 18:44
- Imam Velitov, convicted for justification of terrorism, leaves colony in Astrakhan 13 September 2019, 16:52
- Ukrainian court freezes "Kiev Patriarchate" liquidation 12 September 2019, 20:25
- Priest Alexander Volkov dismissed from the post of patriarchal press secretary 12 September 2019, 20:22
- Orthodox Businessman Malofeyev to leave A Just Russia 6 months after joining it 12 September 2019, 17:23
- Common moral, ethical values of all religions in Russia ensure state stability of country - Putin 12 September 2019, 17:21
- Guilt of men charged with attempted murder of Imam Chumakov unproven - Ingushetia jury 11 September 2019, 10:53
- State Dept. announces sanctions against 2 high-ranking Surgut investigators over Jehovah's Witnesses case (updated) 10 September 2019, 18:48
- The Russian Church official call modern Russian men a "national tragedy" 09 September 2019, 11:56
- The Russian Church will accept communities of the "Russian exarchate" ready to join it 09 September 2019, 11:20
- Russian Orthodox Church to continue reunification consultations with "Russian exarchate" 09 September 2019, 11:00
- Russian Jews to unveil monument to Roma victims of Nazism 05 September 2019, 16:00
- Jerusalem Patriarch takes the side of Russian Church in the "Ukrainian question" 05 September 2019, 15:57
- Constantinople appoints head of "Russian exarchate" a metropolitan responsible for establishing new church in Ukraine 05 September 2019, 13:06
- "Russian exarchate" in Europe refused to subordinate to Constantinople 04 September 2019, 10:54
- Some 40,000 Hasidic pilgrims expected to attend Rosh Hashanah celebration in Ukraine 03 September 2019, 11:07
- ROC metropolitan denies Constantinople accusations of non-canonical actions of the Moscow Patriarchate in Southeast Asia 29 August 2019, 15:43
- World Union of Old Believers set up in Moscow 29 August 2019, 13:05
- Holocaust victims monument vandalized in southern Ukraine 28 August 2019, 16:58
- Monument to Ukrainian nationalists unveiled at Jewish cemetery in Lvov Region 26 August 2019, 19:45
- Poroshenko warns of ongoing attacks on Ukrainian army, language, faith 26 August 2019, 17:13
- Founder of Russian icon museum - among victims of helicopter crash in Greece 22 August 2019, 12:50
- Al-Assad asks for Russian language teachers in Syria to counter Western culture and Wahhabism - Russian MP 20 August 2019, 15:28
- Ukraine has made a great contribution to combating antisemitism - Netanyahu 19 August 2019, 18:19
- Ukrainian Autocephalous Orthodox Church ceases to exist 14 August 2019, 20:12