29 August 2019, 15:43
ROC metropolitan denies Constantinople accusations of non-canonical actions of the Moscow Patriarchate in Southeast Asia
Moscow, August 29, Interfax - Patriarch Kirill's exarch in Southeast Asia Metropolitan Sergy justified actions of the Russian Orthodox Church in the region as they were questioned by Metropolitan Ambrose of Korea from the Constantinople Patriarchate in his interview.
"The pastoral and missionary ministry of the Russian Orthodox Church in Asia has never been challenged by any Local Orthodox Church; on the contrary, it was welcomed", the Russian hierarch wrote in his open letter to the Constantinople metropolitan as its text was conveyed to Interfax.
In response to accusations in non-canonical actions Metropolitan Sergy reminded his counterpart the history of Orthodoxy in Southeast Asia.
"Russian priests began their pastoral ministry in China in 1685; St. Nicholas (Kasatkin) came to Japan in 1861, and the Russian Ecclesiastical Mission in Korea was established in 1897. Russian parishes appeared in Indonesia in 1934; in the same year, a parish was opened in Manila. St. John (Maximovitch) of Shanghai celebrated the first divine services in Vietnam in 1949. This is only some of the documentary evidence of the beginning of the Russian Church's mission in the countries of South and Southeast Asia during which no other Orthodox Church was represented," he writes.
Metropolitan Sergy also noted that the Mission's work was forcibly stopped. After the end of World War II, the South Korean authorities and the American occupation administration waged a struggle for several years, seeking to bring the Mission out of the jurisdiction of the Moscow Patriarchate. Incapable of doing it by any legal means, the South Korean authorities in 1949 banished the Mission's head Archimandrite Polycarp from the country. For political reasons, the work of the Mission was suspended and its property was confiscated, the Metropolitan reminds.
"Therefore, today we speak not of the establishment of a 'parallel Church' but of the restoration of the ecclesiastical mission of the Russian Orthodox Church. It is conditioned by the need to provide pastoral care to our compatriots in all parts of the globe including Asia, as well as by the impossibility of our flock at present to partake of the Mysteries in the Church of Constantinople as it has entered into communion with schismatics and invaded the canonical bounds of the Moscow Patriarchate in Ukraine," he writes.
Metropolitan Sergy reminded that Metropolis of Korea had recently celebrated the 119th anniversary of the first Divine Liturgy in Korea - that is, the anniversary of the beginning of the Russian Church's mission in Korea. "Do you want to say that you celebrated an anniversary of 'non-canonical actions'?" wonders the Russian Church hierarch.
He also said that "our Churches are experiencing a difficult period in relationships."
"But let us do all we can to ensure that the flock in Korea and other countries of Southeast Asia is not affected by them, so that everyone can have an opportunity for praying and partaking of the Holy Mysteries of Christ and can preach Orthodoxy without hindrance", Metropolitan Sergy resumed his letter to his Constantinople brother.
As was reported, establishment of two patriarchal exarchates - in Europe and Asia - was the ROC response to non-canonical, on its opinion, decisions of Constantinople in Ukraine.
See more under the Documents heading.
- Moscow Mayor Sobyanin proposes to leave Lubyanskaya Square as it is for now 26 February 2021, 22:42
- Acting leader of Abkhazian Diocese is member of Georgian Church - Georgian Patriarchate 26 February 2021, 17:44
- Search underway on premises of Sredneuralsky Convent 26 February 2021, 17:41
- Defrocked priest Sergy's pretrial detention extended until end of spring 26 February 2021, 10:00
- Armenian Apostolic Church urges politicians to start talks 25 February 2021, 15:04
- Omsk resident fined 375,000 rubles for excusing terror attack in New Zealand 25 February 2021, 11:48
- Yakutian shaman Gabyshev charged with violence against police officer 25 February 2021, 10:45
- Meeting between Russian patriarch, Pope doesn't improve Christians' position in Middle East contrary to expectations - Metropolitan Hilarion 24 February 2021, 10:00
- Muscovites will choose between monuments to Dzerzhinsky, Alexander Nevsky on Lubyanka Square 20 February 2021, 10:03
- Former schema-monk Sergy admits giving bribe amounting to 'millions of dollars' 18 February 2021, 16:30
- World Russian People's Council backs idea of Ivan III monument on Lubyanka Square in Moscow 18 February 2021, 16:11
- FJCR suggests reinstalling fountain at Lubyanka 18 February 2021, 15:30
- Suspected organizer of Jehovah's Witnesses cell in Russia's Kemerovo region placed under house arrest 17 February 2021, 14:11
- Police detain man who splashed Holocaust monument in Yerevan with paint 17 February 2021, 13:44
- The giant castle of corona cannibal to be burned in Russia on Maslenitsa 17 February 2021, 12:08
- Lawyers' association supports bill limiting surrogate motherhood in Russia 17 February 2021, 10:00
- FSB detain people suspected of financing ISIL under guise of donations to mosques in Crimea, Tatarstan 16 February 2021, 15:19
- World Union of Old Believers backs idea to place Ivan III monument on Moscow's Lubyanka Square 16 February 2021, 09:44
- Metropolitan Hilarion concerned by detention on non-participants in unsanctioned rallies 15 February 2021, 09:17
- Moscow court arrests 2 Jehovah's Witnesses 15 February 2021, 09:15
- Foreign Intelligence Service head compares those who insult WWII veterans to Nazi collaborators 12 February 2021, 11:53
- Congress of the Leaders of World and Traditional Religions in Kazakhstan postponed to next year 12 February 2021, 11:07
- Sputnik V vaccine halal - Gamaleya Center expert 12 February 2021, 10:03
- Court denies former schema hegumen Sergy right to participate in dispute over church on territory of Sredneuralsky Convent 10 February 2021, 20:39
- Several organizers of Jehovah's Witnesses cell detained in Moscow 10 February 2021, 11:43
- Resident of Russia's Dagestan jailed for 10 years for killing local rabbi 10 February 2021, 11:14
- Tajik authorities classify sentence of opposition Islamic party leader 09 February 2021, 17:35
- The International Day of Human Brotherhood celebrates in Russia for the first time 09 February 2021, 10:13
- Tolerance lessons have already been held for half a million schoolchildren in Russia 09 February 2021, 10:04
- Moscow City Court upholds arrest of schema-hegumen Sergy 09 February 2021, 10:00