27 September 2019, 16:03
Defense lawyers for Orenburg priest charged with child sexual abuse appeal his arrest
Orenburg, September 27, Interfax - A lawyer for Archpriest Nikolay Stremsky, the award-winning head of a charity organization in the Orenburg Region, has filed an appeal against his client's arrest, an official with the Orenburg Leninsky District Court told Interfax on Friday.
"The appeal was filed today. The judge will consider it and will decide whether to accept it or not. Then the appeal will be sent to the Orenburg Regional Court, where it will be considered," the source told the agency.
Stremsky, who is the head of the St. Trinity Simeon Charity, an Orthodox organization, is charged with rape, sexual abuse, and failure to fulfill pertinent responsibilities in bringing up an underage person in accordance with the Russian Criminal Code. Orenburg's Leninsky District Court on Wednesday placed him under arrest until November 12. His daughter and father-in-law, who are charged with illegal deprivation of a person's freedom, were also arrested.
According to the investigators, Stremsky "repeatedly molested six underage foster and adopted children, and raped one of them" in the time period of January-August 2018.
According to the statement, investigators additionally established that the priest's adopted daughter Yelena Stremskaya and her husband Viktor Scherbakov "locked up three underage victims in a garage, where they held them for a long time," in August 2018.
Seven underage and small children, who are under Stremsky's foster care or have been adopted by him, are identified as aggrieved parties in this criminal case.
Stremsky did not admit his guilt, saying that the children's testimony is false.
Metropolitan Veniamin of Orenburg and Saraktash issued a decree banning the priest from administering religious rites during the investigation.
The priest's case has been sent to the Central Administration of the Russian Investigative Committee.
One foster child and eight adopted children who lived in the priest's house have now been placed with the child protective services in the Orenburg Region.
In 2006, Stremsky, who is the head of the Russian family with the largest number of children, was presented with the Golden Heart international award, which was established by the Red Cross and the Russian government.
This is not the Stremsky's first run in with the law. In 2015, nine years after receiving the Golden Heart award, the priest again gained press attention after he was detained for drunk driving and resisting arrest.
- Russian Orthodox Church will not bless pilgrimages to Greek dioceses supporting new church of Ukraine 17 October 2019, 18:26
- Synod authorizes Patriarch Kirill to stop mentioning head of Greek Orthodox Church if it associates itself with OCU 17 October 2019, 17:36
- Traditional moral values, democracy can coexist - Patriarch Kirill 14 October 2019, 20:22
- Patriarch Kirill could visit Korean Peninsula next June 14 October 2019, 20:09
- Holy Synod of Moscow Patriarchate to assess Church of Greece decision to recognize OCU this fall 13 October 2019, 20:45
- Greek Orthodox Church hierarchs recognize OCU autocephaly 13 October 2019, 20:44
- New Syrian constitution must guarantee interests of all ethnic, religious groups - Putin 13 October 2019, 20:36
- Alma-Ata police conduct searches at Jehovah's Witnesses office 13 October 2019, 20:35
- Kardashian was named Egine after baptizing in Armenia 11 October 2019, 10:47
- Three Russian Islamist women accused of killing prison guard in Pakistan 11 October 2019, 10:45
- Man hurt in shooting near monastery in southern Urals 11 October 2019, 10:33
- Today's methods for countering anti-Semitism insufficient - FJCR 11 October 2019, 10:32
- Daughter, son-in-law of Orenburg priest charged with child molestation left in custody 09 October 2019, 14:12
- Two Jehovah's Witnesses released from custody, placed under house arrest in Russia's Primorye 08 October 2019, 13:38
- Kardashian baptized children in Armenia 08 October 2019, 10:12
- Georgian patriarch hopes for German president to facilitate settlement of Transcaucasia's crises 08 October 2019, 10:07
- Patriarch Kirill congratulates Western Europe's 'Russian exarchate' on rejoining Russian Orthodox Church 08 October 2019, 10:03
- Russian Exarchate to keep financial independence, traditions within Russian Orthodox Church 08 October 2019, 10:00
- Russian Orthodox Church Synod includes in it former Constantinople 'Russian exarchate' (updated) 07 October 2019, 15:46
- FJCR announcing two new synagogues in Crimea 04 October 2019, 10:00
- The Maronite Patriarchate denies it has recognized the OCU 04 October 2019, 10:00
- Bashkir hunter shot the priest taking him for a bear 03 October 2019, 11:57
- Chasids leave Uman 02 October 2019, 20:15
- Russian religious donators give Syria school worth $300,000 30 September 2019, 15:57
- The Russian Orthodox Church official believes Jehovah's Witnesses in Russia are persecuted for extremism, not faith 30 September 2019, 13:57
- Adult adopted children of arrested Orenburg priest don't believe accusations against him 30 September 2019, 13:27
- Belarusian Orthodox Church doesn't need autocephaly - church head 30 September 2019, 11:57
- Russian Church welcomes the news about reunion with "Russia exarchate" clerics 30 September 2019, 10:37
- Putin greets Russian Jews on Rosh Hashanah 30 September 2019, 10:30
- Absolute majority of Russian Exarchate clerics in Europe join Moscow Patriarchate 28 September 2019, 19:42