04 October 2019, 10:00
The Maronite Patriarchate denies it has recognized the OCU
Beirut, October 4, Interfax - The Maronite Patriarchate denies the information that the visit of delegation of the new Church of Ukraine was held on invitation of the Maronite Patriarch of Antioch and the whole East.
"Maronite Patriarch of Antioch and the Whole Levant cardinal Bechara Boutros Rahi has never sent an invitation to the so-called OCU, as it was hurriedly reported by the OCU and spread by mass media," a source in the Maronite Patriarchate familiar with the situation reports.
He explained that members of a Maronite family brought a statue of St.Maron from Ukraine and set it up in their village in Lebanon. To celebrate the consecration of the statue they sent invitations to all Ukrainian Churches.
"On the request of Ukrainian Maronites, the Patriarchate provided Christian hospitality to the members of delegation even not knowing who they were," patriarchate's officials stressed pointing out that their contacts have never exceeded the frames of ordinary polite greetings, and there has never been even mentioning of invitation to come to Lebanon with an official visit conveyed to the OCU head or any other cleric."
Having learnt about misinformation about the OCU visit, the Maronite Patriarchate demanded through its representatives in Ukraine to correct this fake reports. However, according to the source, the OCU refused to make corrections.
"The Maronite Patriarchate is outraged with improper methods of the new Ukrainian structure that is desperately trying to gain recognition by unrighteous way, though its officials have discredited themselves by their own behavior," the source said.
- Zelensky urges clerics to back Ukraine's initiatives in run-up to Normandy-format summit 05 December 2019, 13:54
- Saint Isaac's Cathedral and 5 other churchs in St. Petersburg received bomb threats 05 December 2019, 13:52
- Serbian president invites Putin to attend opening of St. Sava Cathedral in Belgrade 04 December 2019, 19:35
- Moscow's Christ the Savior Cathedral alerted to bomb threat 03 December 2019, 20:55
- One year on OCU defectors account for less than 1% of our parishes - UOC 03 December 2019, 18:46
- Moscow Jewish Museum to break stereotypes - director 03 December 2019, 17:26
- FSB reports detention of 9 Hizb ut-Tahrir members recruited Muslims 03 December 2019, 14:12
- Russian Bishops' Council to assess global Orthodox situation in near future 02 December 2019, 20:27
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church calls for end of infowar between Ukraine, Russia 02 December 2019, 18:45
- Russian Patriarch Kirill invited to Estonia by country's Lutheran leader 29 November 2019, 18:31
- Moscow court arrests U.S. rabbi in absentia in Schneerson library case 29 November 2019, 13:56
- Putin notes importance of coordination with OIC in countering threats 29 November 2019, 12:04
- Abortion rate in Russia declines considerably in past 18 years 28 November 2019, 19:06
- Patriarch of Alexandria sends kisses to head of OCU 28 November 2019, 18:29
- FJCR sees plans to arrest U.S. rabbi in Schneerson library case as absurd 28 November 2019, 17:23
- Bulgarian Church takes step toward recognizing OCU 28 November 2019, 17:21
- Ukraine has seen no attacks motivated by anti-Semitism in past 3 years - Association of Jewish Communities 27 November 2019, 17:18
- ROCOR to build new church in U.S 27 November 2019, 17:17
- Orthodox priest in Russia's Jewish Autonomous Region suspected of child molestation 26 November 2019, 14:25
- Georgian patriarch, foreign ambassadors discuss detention of doctor Gaprindashvili in S. Ossetia 26 November 2019, 10:07
- Interreligious Council of Russia calls on int'l community to restore Middle East's holy sites 25 November 2019, 20:28
- Sholem Aleichem monument vandalized near synagogue in Kiev 25 November 2019, 18:46
- Russian parliament, govt agree that extra measures needed to fight domestic violence - Matviyenko 25 November 2019, 16:06
- Russian Orthodox Church cautions against combating domestic violence with Western methods 25 November 2019, 16:05
- Patriarch Kirill suspends operation of Alexandria Patriarchate's Moscow mission 25 November 2019, 11:35
- Meeting between heads of Churches important in crisis in inter-Orthodox relations - Metropolitan Hilarion 22 November 2019, 15:41
- Russian Orthodox Church welcomes Jerusalem patriarch's proposal of Church leaders' meeting to settle differences 21 November 2019, 20:50
- Patriarch of Jerusalem awarded for strengthening Orthodox Christian unity 21 November 2019, 20:47
- Patriarch of Jerusalem initiates meeting of heads of local churches in Amman with view to preserving church unity 21 November 2019, 17:22
- Putin stresses importance of joint efforts to protect Christians in Middle East 20 November 2019, 21:09