17 October 2019, 17:36
Synod authorizes Patriarch Kirill to stop mentioning head of Greek Orthodox Church if it associates itself with OCU
Moscow, October 17, Interfax - The Synod of the Moscow Patriarchate has warned the bishops of the Greek Orthodox Church about the consequences that the recognition by them of the non-canonical Church of Ukraine (the Orthodox Church of Ukraine - OCU) may have.
"The Holy Synod of the Russian Orthodox Church authorizes the Holy Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia to stop mentioning His Beatitude Archbishop of Athens and All Greece in the diptychs if the head of the Greek Orthodox Church starts mentioning in his services the head of one of Ukraine's schismatic groups or takes other actions indicating recognition by him of the Ukrainian church schism," the Synod said in a final document released during its extraordinary session held in Moscow on Thursday.
On October 12, the assembly of the hierarchs of the Greek Orthodox Church recognized the right of the Constantinople Patriarchate to grant autocephaly, in particular, to the Orthodox Church of Ukraine, which was created in December 2018 with support from the Constantinople Patriarchate and the then-administration of Ukraine on the basis of two non-canonical religious organizations of the country. The new Church of Ukraine has until now not been recognized by any of the regional Orthodox churches except for Constantinople.
At the same time, the Synod of the Russian Orthodox Church, having studied the details of the Assembly in Athens, doubted that the position of Archbishop Hieronymus was shared by the other Greek hierarchs, and also said that the votes of those who disagreed had been ignored at the forum, there had been no voting and an assembly document with the hierarchs' signatures was not available in public access.
In this regard, the Synod of the Russian Orthodox Church accused Constantinople Patriarch Bartholomew of pressuring the Greek Orthodox Church and blocking any initiatives of the "Ukrainian issue."
"It is sad that the historical achievements of the Greek people in the dissemination of Orthodoxy are thus exchanged for immediately political benefits and support of geopolitical interests that are foreign to Church," the Synod of the Russian Orthodox Church said in its statement.
"Such speculation on national feelings will not be a success, they cannot undermine the unity of our faith, which was paid for by the blood of new martyrs and confessors of our Churches, they will not interrupt the unity of our ascetic tradition, which was created by the deed of many priests and ascetic champions, they will not destroy the centuries-old friendship of the Greek and Slavic peoples, which was paid for by the blood of Russian warriors and strengthened in the common fight for the freedom of the brotherly Greek people," the Synod said.
Members of the Synod said they treasure the prayer communion with their brothers in the Greek Orthodox Church and they will continue "living prayer, canonical and Eucharistic communion with it through all those archbishops and priests who have already spoken and will later speak against the recognition of the Ukrainian schism, who will not tarnish themselves by co-service with the schismatic false hierarchs, but will show an example of Christian courage and steadfastness for Christian faith," the Synod said.
At the same time, the Russian Orthodox Church stops prayer and Eucharistic communion with those hierarchs of the Greek Orthodox Church who have begun or will begin communion with representatives of Ukrainian "non-canonical schismatic communities" and does not bless pilgrimage to dioceses run by the said hierarchs.
- Putin bestows Order for Merit to Fatherland, 1st degree on oldest ruling bishop of Russian Orthodox Church 22 September 2020, 17:38
- Berel Lazar invited to Bahrain 22 September 2020, 13:18
- Russian Church wishes Depardieu to stop on Orthodoxy in his spiritual search 21 September 2020, 15:39
- Forty percent of Russia support Lenin reburial, 1 out of every 5 say his body should stay in Mausoleum - poll 18 September 2020, 20:44
- FJCR head views Hasidic pilgrims attempting to enter Ukraine as 'violence against common sense' 18 September 2020, 18:31
- Zelensky's Rosh Hashanah greeting expresses hope for return to normal rhythm of life next year 18 September 2020, 18:26
- No Hasidic pilgrims left on Belarusian-Ukrainian border 18 September 2020, 18:23
- The FJCR calls a huge breakthrough recognition of Israel in the Arab Emirates and Bahrain 18 September 2020, 16:46
- Case opened against 2 Baltic Fleet servicemen who washed shoes in holy spring in Orthodox chapel 18 September 2020, 16:32
- Hasidic pilgrims initially heading to Uman begin leaving Belarusian-Ukrainian border 18 September 2020, 12:15
- Putin notes Russian Jewish community's role in countering Covid-19, in strengthening peace and accord 18 September 2020, 11:17
- Some 1,000 Hasidic pilgrims expecting permission to enter Ukraine from Belarus 17 September 2020, 15:30
- Minsk accuses Kiev of empty rhetoric, urges it to respect rights of Hasidic pilgrims 17 September 2020, 10:39
- Kiev calls on Belarusian authorities to ensure Hasidic pilgrims adhere to quarantine regulations 16 September 2020, 20:27
- Ukraine urges Belarus to stop raising tensions on border, not to make false statements to Hasidic pilgrims (updated) 16 September 2020, 17:18
- Ukraine closes checkpoint on border with Belarus near which Hasidic pilgrims gathering 16 September 2020, 15:35
- Ukraine unable to let in additional numbers of Hasidic pilgrims due to current situation - Foreign Ministry 16 September 2020, 10:45
- Minsk seeks to agree with Ukraine on green corridor for Hasidic pilgrims 16 September 2020, 10:43
- Pope of Rome to consider possibility of visiting Belarus 16 September 2020, 10:42
- Vatican insists on Archbishop Kondrusiewicz's return to Belarus 16 September 2020, 10:40
- Tents set up for Hasidic pilgrims gathering on Belarus' border with Ukraine 15 September 2020, 20:00
- Archbishop Kondrusiewicz deprived of Belarusian passport, not citizenship 15 September 2020, 18:45
- Ukraine asks Belarus not to allow Hasidic pilgrims gathering at border to cross it 15 September 2020, 18:20
- Man brought down from roof of Alexander Nevsky Monastery in St. Petersburg 14 September 2020, 19:02
- Man on roof of St. Petersburg's Alexander Nevsky Monastery for over ten hours refused to come down 14 September 2020, 15:23
- Archbishop Kondrusiewicz deprived of Belarusian passport 14 September 2020, 13:28
- Catholics organize procession in Minsk to stop 'persecution of the Church', to bring back Kondrusiewicz 14 September 2020, 11:21
- Owner of a cafe in Ukrainian Uman pinned up a plate saying he wouldn't attend Chassids; the police initiates a case 14 September 2020, 10:19
- Russian Orthodox Church advises getting vaccinated against Covid-19 without delay 14 September 2020, 10:17
- Belarusian foreign minister discusses post-election situation with Vatican rep 11 September 2020, 20:16