28 October 2019, 17:05
Georgian metropolitan dismissed following statement on country's administration's wish to displace patriarch
Tbilisi, October 28, Interfax - Catholicos-Patriarch Ilia II of All Georgia on Monday signed a decree relieving Metropolitan Yakov of his duties as the patriarch's aide and chairman of the financial-economic commission of the church, at his request, the patriarchate said.
Metropolitan Yakov told reporters last weekend that Georgia's former prime minister Giorgi Kvirikashvili, Interior Minister Vakhtang Gomelauri, and incumbent Prime Minister Giorgi Gakharia had tried to convince him to take part in the displacement of Ilia II and the transfer of the patriarch's throne to the patriarch's locum tenens Metropolitan Shio.
Kvirikashvili denies this. "I have never done anything against the patriarch," he told reporters.
Opposition activists have demanded that the authorities immediately start an investigation in connection with Metropolitan Yakov's statement.
"Refusal to start an investigation will mean recognition of the crime," opposition leader Roman Gotsiridze told reporters.
In the meantime, the authorities believe the statement by Metropolitan Yakov should be discussed inside the Church, in a Synod meeting.
Metropolitan Yakov is regarded as one of the most influential people in the Georgian Church. Some people considered that he might become the next patriarch of Georgia.
- Vatican says Minsk could host talks on Ukraine with Catholic Church's mediation 15 December 2022, 21:36
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church receives over 70 orders banning its activity from Ukrainian local authorities in recent months 15 December 2022, 16:06
- Moscow receives apologies from Vatican for Pope's remarks about Russian people - Foreign Ministry 15 December 2022, 14:31
- Federal legalization of same-sex marriages in U.S. to lead to nation's degeneration - Duma Speaker 15 December 2022, 12:40
- Kremlin says receives no proposals regarding Christmas ceasefire in Ukraine 14 December 2022, 16:09
- Russian Federation Council votes to ban provision of surrogate mothers' services to foreigners 14 December 2022, 13:54
- SBU officials visit Ukrainian Orthodox Church premises in 9 regions of Ukraine – media 14 December 2022, 12:32
- Russian Orthodox Church calls Kiev's sanctions against Orthodox clergy absurd 13 December 2022, 18:41
- Ukraine's Rada lawyers find ban on Ukrainian Orthodox Church to contradict Constitution 12 December 2022, 14:33
- Kiev imposes sanctions against property management of Ukrainian Orthodox Church, heads of 4 dioceses 12 December 2022, 13:50
- Rada committee recommends passage of Ukrainian Orthodox Church ban 09 December 2022, 21:47
- Russian Culture Ministry to deny screening to films containing LGBT propaganda 08 December 2022, 20:47
- State Duma adopts bill banning services of surrogate mothers in Russia for foreigners 08 December 2022, 14:50
- Rublev's Trinity icon returned to Tretyakov Gallery's exhibition 07 December 2022, 22:19
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church urges Ukrainian authorities that attacks on Church unacceptable 07 December 2022, 18:21
- Belarus to enact death penalty for officials, servicemen on treason counts 07 December 2022, 13:31
- Ukrainian special services searching Ukrainian Orthodox Church premises in Cherkassy, Volyn and Kherson regions - media 07 December 2022, 12:49
- Bill that allows seizing Ukrainian Orthodox Church's property submitted to Verkhovnaya Rada 06 December 2022, 15:49
- Putin signs into law bills banning LGBT and pedophilia propaganda in Russia 05 December 2022, 17:11
- Security Service of Ukraine searching Ukrainian Orthodox Church premises in Poltava region – media 05 December 2022, 14:31
- Russian Orthodox Church dismisses rumors of Kiev Lavra of the Caves takeover by Orthodox Church of Ukraine 02 December 2022, 22:22
- Russian Orthodox Church slams Ukraine's plans to ban Ukrainian Orthodox Church 02 December 2022, 18:55
- Ukrainian Security Service officials arrive at Ukrainian Orthodox Church premises in 3 regions 02 December 2022, 16:40
- Security Service of Ukraine seizes pro-Russian books in Orthodox nunnery in Trans-Carpathian Region 01 December 2022, 15:02
- Russia's Federation Council endorses bills banning LGBT, pedophilia propaganda 30 November 2022, 14:02
- Cyril and Methodius Monastery of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church being searched 30 November 2022, 11:52
- Kadyrov and the head of Russian Buddhists criticizes the Pope's statements about the conflict in Ukraine 30 November 2022, 11:20
- Only constitutional amendment can provide basis for reinstating capital punishment in Russia - Constitutional Court chairman 29 November 2022, 15:20
- The Russian Church doubts the ability of Ukraine to be an independent country 28 November 2022, 11:33
- Russia's Duma to pass bill in Dec banning services of Russian surrogate mothers for foreigners 28 November 2022, 10:05