06 November 2019, 11:37
Relations between Russian Orthodox Church, Russian Archdiocese abroad not based on submission - Metropolitan Jean
Moscow, November 6, Interfax - It is not submission but rather interaction in the faith that forms the basis of relations between the Moscow Patriarchate and the Archdiocese of Russian Orthodox churches in Western Europe, archdiocese head Metropolitan Jean of Dubna said.
"Many people here still think that the returning into the fold of the Russian church is a sort of submission. In fact, there is no submission here for it is communion in the faith, communion in theology, the Eucharistic communion. We will live in communion, as the liturgy reads, with faith and love," Metropolitan Jean said at a meeting with journalists in Moscow.
He revealed that he had told himself, based on an ancient text, that there are two ways: the way of life and the way of death.
"And I told the people: 'This is for you choose which way to go.' We have chosen the way of life, and the Russian church received us along this way. It does not want to dominate us. It only wants to help us continue on our way," he said.
As reported earlier, Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia presented Archbishop Jean with a document on reuniting the parishes of the archdiocese established by the Russian emigre community with the Russian Orthodox Church at the Cathedral of Christ the Savior in Moscow last Sunday.
"This is a very important historic moment that we felt the Russian Church's fraternal love; we felt a paternal attitude on the part of the Holy Patriarch, we felt love coming from the metropolitans and priests, who received us all along the way," Metropolitan Jean told reporters.
"We did not feel any intention on their part to dominate us. It was more like brotherhood," he said.
- Three religious extremists detained in Kazan 20 February 2020, 18:30
- Putin calls to halt any religious discord 20 February 2020, 13:25
- All Russian Orthodox Church parishes in Southeast Asia to pray for riddance of coronavirus 19 February 2020, 18:41
- Court arrests Moscow church attacker 18 February 2020, 19:27
- Investigators file for arrest of suspected assailant of Moscow churchgoers 18 February 2020, 12:18
- Man who attacked people in Moscow church says didn't plan crime, 'got up on wrong side of bed' 17 February 2020, 22:06
- Four members of banned pseudo-religious group convicted in Orenburg Region 17 February 2020, 18:38
- Georgian Church decides not to take part in pan-Orthodox meeting in Jordan 17 February 2020, 18:33
- Romanian Church to agree with granting of tomos to Orthodox Church in Ukraine, provided that Constantinople and Moscow reach consensus - media (updated) 14 February 2020, 21:11
- Karekin II grateful to Syria for recognizing Armenian genocide 14 February 2020, 18:08
- Pan-Orthodox meeting on 'Ukrainian issue' to be held in Amman on Feb 26 (updated) 14 February 2020, 15:08
- No same-sex marriage to be legitimized in Russia as long as I am president - Putin (updated) 13 February 2020, 17:31
- Orthodox leaders to discuss 'Ukrainian issue' in Amman in late Feb (updated) 12 February 2020, 21:28
- CPRF doesn't mind mentioning God in Russian constitution 11 February 2020, 18:30
- Criminal case opened in Transbaikal Territory after searches of residences of suspected Jehovah's Witnesses 10 February 2020, 19:57
- A woman could head the Russian Church synodal department 10 February 2020, 12:34
- Russian Church proposes to designate the special role of Russians in Constitution 10 February 2020, 12:15
- Zelensky invites Pope to visit Ukraine 10 February 2020, 11:58
- Zelensky asks Pope to help with release of Ukrainians in custody in Russia, Donbass 10 February 2020, 11:55
- Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem working as usual, has no info on property handover 05 February 2020, 21:25
- Yakut shaman complains to ECHR 05 February 2020, 18:09
- OCU terminates Filaret's membership in Holy Synod 05 February 2020, 12:27
- Russian Orthodox Church could discontinue practice of blessing WMDs 04 February 2020, 21:05
- Enshrining 'traditional marriage' in constitution at bottom of working group's agenda 04 February 2020, 19:14
- Krasheninnikov against enshrining family, God in constitution 04 February 2020, 18:58
- Pompeo praises Uzbekistan for progress in upholding religious freedom 03 February 2020, 19:17
- Marriage, not family should be defined as union between man and woman in Russian Constitution - Russian Orthodox Church 03 February 2020, 18:04
- Working group to discuss appropriateness of mentioning God in Constitution – Kremlin 03 February 2020, 13:57
- Patriarch Kirill proposes mentioning God in Constitution 02 February 2020, 19:02
- Orthodox society active at Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem still has no info on property transfer to Russia 31 January 2020, 15:14