07 November 2019, 14:54
Latvian Orthodox Church denies rumors about transition to Constantinople jurisdiction
Riga, November 7, Interfax - The Synod of the Latvian Orthodox Church (LOC) has denied media reports on its transition from the Moscow Patriarchate to the Constantinople Patriarchate.
"All reports on the alleged transition or transfer of our Church to Constantinople amount to a bare-faced lie. It has been invented by enemies of the Orthodox faith and reproduced by the mass media," the LOC Synod said in a statement posted on the LOC website.
The Synod said the rumors began after a new organization named the Latvian Orthodox Autonomous Church in the jurisdiction of the Constantinople Patriarchate was registered in the register of the country's enterprises on October 24. It is led by Viktor Kontuzorov, who was excommunicated by the LOC Assembly in 1997. The decision was recognized throughout the Orthodox world.
"Viktor Kontuzorov has not been an Orthodox Christian since then and he has no relation to Holy Orthodoxy," the statement said.
Members of the Synod said the current situation is as follows: the LOC is registered in Latvia and the Latvian Orthodox Autonomous Church is registered in the Constantinople jurisdiction on Kontuzorov's initiative. "These are two different legal entities, which have nothing in common. The new registration has no relation to the Latvian Orthodox Church of the Moscow Patriarchate and it has no influence on the situation of our Church and its name," the Synod said.
In closing, the hierarchs of the canonical Church called on their flock "not to believe these provocative ideas," saying that "all these stories are targeted not only against the Latvian Orthodox Church but against every Orthodox Christian in Latvia."
- Russian Orthodox Church hopes third world war won't happen, despite aggressive rhetoric 08 May 2021, 17:56
- Jewish community of Russia urges to help relatives of victims crushed on Mt. Meron 30 April 2021, 16:37
- UOC head urges participants in the Donbass conflict to cease fire on Easter days 30 April 2021, 13:46
- Kremlin hasn't received official proposal from Zelensky to meet with Putin at Vatican 28 April 2021, 13:25
- Epicenter of persecutions against Christians has moved from the Middle East to Africa - report 28 April 2021, 13:13
- Zelensky calls Vatican optimal venue for meeting with Putin 28 April 2021, 12:15
- There are 2 billion Christians and 4 million churches in the world, the Russian church official reports 28 April 2021, 10:18
- Russia’s first monastery-based vaccination center against Covid-19 opened in Belgorod 28 April 2021, 10:15
- RJC demands those who attacked Jewish community building in Moscow be found, punished 28 April 2021, 10:00
- Georgia to suspend public transport services during Orthodox Easter holidays due to Covid-19 26 April 2021, 16:31
- Patriarch Kirill speaks of offer to head up opposition in 1990s 26 April 2021, 11:50
- Russian archaeologists to examine about a dozen ancient Christian churches in Syria 26 April 2021, 11:36
- FSB busts the Siberian Hizb ut-Tahrir cell that recruited Muslims 23 April 2021, 12:05
- Patriarch Kirill grants request to retire of Metropolitan Juvenaly 14 April 2021, 18:12
- Influx of migrants contributing to emergence of hotbeds of interfaith tensions in Crimea - Patrushev 14 April 2021, 17:25
- Jehovah's Witnesses cell busted in Russia's Tula 14 April 2021, 12:21
- Yekaterinburg Diocese says nuns, lay sisters from closed Sredneuralsky Convent may choose any of its convents 14 April 2021, 10:51
- Nuns leaving Sredneuralsky Convent, diocese reps sealing off premises 14 April 2021, 10:46
- Court orders residents of Sredneuralsky Convent to leave its premises 14 April 2021, 10:40
- Russian FM speaks of important global role of Russian Orthodox Church, supports its initiatives 08 April 2021, 18:02
- Court of appeals declines to soften sentence given to leader of Aum Shinrikyo's Russian cell 08 April 2021, 10:00
- Russian man charged with organizing erotic photo shoot in UAE facing at least 6 months in prison 05 April 2021, 18:16
- Moscow court keeps former Urals schema monk Sergy in custody 05 April 2021, 17:55
- Presumed supporter of Ukrainian nationalists detained in Barnaul confesses to plotting to blow up mosque – FSB 02 April 2021, 17:53
- The FJCR official calls "the oldest manuscript" of Torah a fake 02 April 2021, 10:00
- St. Petersburg court bans mobile app of Jehovah's Witnesses in Russia 01 April 2021, 10:00
- Serial destroyer of angel sculptures detained in St. Petersburg 31 March 2021, 13:31
- Abortions in Russia dropped almost 40% over past 5 years 31 March 2021, 10:00
- Putin pledges to prevent foreign interethnic conflicts from spilling over into Russia 30 March 2021, 16:01
- Polarized opinions on acceptability of in vitro fertilization observed in Russian Orthodox Church 30 March 2021, 10:00