07 November 2019, 14:54
Latvian Orthodox Church denies rumors about transition to Constantinople jurisdiction
Riga, November 7, Interfax - The Synod of the Latvian Orthodox Church (LOC) has denied media reports on its transition from the Moscow Patriarchate to the Constantinople Patriarchate.
"All reports on the alleged transition or transfer of our Church to Constantinople amount to a bare-faced lie. It has been invented by enemies of the Orthodox faith and reproduced by the mass media," the LOC Synod said in a statement posted on the LOC website.
The Synod said the rumors began after a new organization named the Latvian Orthodox Autonomous Church in the jurisdiction of the Constantinople Patriarchate was registered in the register of the country's enterprises on October 24. It is led by Viktor Kontuzorov, who was excommunicated by the LOC Assembly in 1997. The decision was recognized throughout the Orthodox world.
"Viktor Kontuzorov has not been an Orthodox Christian since then and he has no relation to Holy Orthodoxy," the statement said.
Members of the Synod said the current situation is as follows: the LOC is registered in Latvia and the Latvian Orthodox Autonomous Church is registered in the Constantinople jurisdiction on Kontuzorov's initiative. "These are two different legal entities, which have nothing in common. The new registration has no relation to the Latvian Orthodox Church of the Moscow Patriarchate and it has no influence on the situation of our Church and its name," the Synod said.
In closing, the hierarchs of the canonical Church called on their flock "not to believe these provocative ideas," saying that "all these stories are targeted not only against the Latvian Orthodox Church but against every Orthodox Christian in Latvia."
- Russian Church has established a day of remembrance for the victims of repression 27 September 2021, 11:06
- Russian Orthodox Church considering accepting Alexandria clergy who don't want to recognize Ukrainian schism 24 September 2021, 17:40
- Patriarch of Constantinople who visited Kiev has no right to speak on behalf of Orthodox world - Russian Church 24 September 2021, 17:24
- Russian Prosecutor General's Office designates two Scientology organizations undesirable 24 September 2021, 16:58
- Five Jehovah's Witnesses convicted in Russia's Volgograd Region 24 September 2021, 10:10
- Court dismisses appeal against forcible treatment of Yakutia shaman Gabyshev 23 September 2021, 15:22
- FJCR calls on Ukrainian authorities to expand definition of anti-Semitism 23 September 2021, 15:18
- Krasny Pakhar Jamaat added to Russian list of terrorist groups 22 September 2021, 16:29
- Ukraine adopts law on fight against anti-Semitism 22 September 2021, 13:38
- Afghanistan must form inclusive govt - SCO summit declaration 17 September 2021, 17:12
- Patriarch Kirill doubts legitimacy of authority of Patriarch Bartholomew of Constantinople 16 September 2021, 16:38
- Jehovah's Witness jailed for 3 years in Kostroma 08 September 2021, 10:00
- Jehovah's Witness from Pskov Region gets suspended sentence 08 September 2021, 10:00
- Putin notes contribution of Jewish religious organizations to interethnic peace, accord 06 September 2021, 14:26
- Metropolitan Hilarion compared Patriarch Bartholomew to a robber and a thief 06 September 2021, 10:52
- Russian Church concerned about the fate of Christians in Afghanistan 06 September 2021, 10:43
- Supporters of radical Islam held in Tula 06 September 2021, 10:36
- Defrocked priest Sergy's supporter remanded in custody – court 02 September 2021, 18:13
- More than 5.5 thousand clerics and monks of the Russian Orthodox Church in Russia have been ill with coronavirus 02 September 2021, 14:36
- More than 2.5 million people have visited the Jewish Museum in Moscow during its nine years of operation 02 September 2021, 14:31
- Lithuanian president promises not to allow LGBT history to be taught in schools 02 September 2021, 14:25
- Associate of former schema-hegumen Sergy detained in hatred fanning case 01 September 2021, 15:26
- Complaints about threats from Male State community should be processed by law enforcement agencies - Peskov 31 August 2021, 14:57
- Taliban to present themselves as less radical to get investments – expert 31 August 2021, 13:45
- Russian Justice Ministry adds 4 Ukrainian and Latvian religious movements to list of groups undesirable in Russia 30 August 2021, 18:12
- The church historian called the results of Patriarch Bartholomew's visit to Ukraine deplorable 30 August 2021, 16:04
- More than 500 Orthodox churches to be built in Moscow 30 August 2021, 11:07
- Russian authorities to check the construction of a closed "halal" village near Moscow 30 August 2021, 10:49
- Patriarch Kirill calls the visit of the Constantinople primate to Kiev sinful 30 August 2021, 10:40
- Organizers of Jehovah's Witnesses cell detained in Moscow 26 August 2021, 15:55