07 November 2019, 14:54
Latvian Orthodox Church denies rumors about transition to Constantinople jurisdiction
Riga, November 7, Interfax - The Synod of the Latvian Orthodox Church (LOC) has denied media reports on its transition from the Moscow Patriarchate to the Constantinople Patriarchate.
"All reports on the alleged transition or transfer of our Church to Constantinople amount to a bare-faced lie. It has been invented by enemies of the Orthodox faith and reproduced by the mass media," the LOC Synod said in a statement posted on the LOC website.
The Synod said the rumors began after a new organization named the Latvian Orthodox Autonomous Church in the jurisdiction of the Constantinople Patriarchate was registered in the register of the country's enterprises on October 24. It is led by Viktor Kontuzorov, who was excommunicated by the LOC Assembly in 1997. The decision was recognized throughout the Orthodox world.
"Viktor Kontuzorov has not been an Orthodox Christian since then and he has no relation to Holy Orthodoxy," the statement said.
Members of the Synod said the current situation is as follows: the LOC is registered in Latvia and the Latvian Orthodox Autonomous Church is registered in the Constantinople jurisdiction on Kontuzorov's initiative. "These are two different legal entities, which have nothing in common. The new registration has no relation to the Latvian Orthodox Church of the Moscow Patriarchate and it has no influence on the situation of our Church and its name," the Synod said.
In closing, the hierarchs of the canonical Church called on their flock "not to believe these provocative ideas," saying that "all these stories are targeted not only against the Latvian Orthodox Church but against every Orthodox Christian in Latvia."
- Several Jehovah's Witnesses leaders detained in Russia - Investigative Committee 24 November 2020, 11:39
- Court fines Pussy Riot member Nikulshina for event in support of LGBT in Moscow 23 November 2020, 13:35
- There's some progress in Alexander Metochion issue - Israeli ambassador to Russia 23 November 2020, 10:00
- Putin urges preservation of historic sites, sacred religious places in Karabakh conflict zone 20 November 2020, 19:55
- Patriarch Kirill ceases liturgical commemoration of archbishop of Cyprus for backing schism in Ukraine 20 November 2020, 17:47
- Putin offers condolences to president of Serbia on death of Patriarch Irinej 20 November 2020, 17:35
- Russian Orthodox Church mourns death of Serbian Patriarch Irinej 20 November 2020, 13:05
- Metropolitan of Tatarstan dies of Covid-19 <>(updated) 20 November 2020, 11:37
- Armenian church leader thanks Putin for preserving Armenian cultural heritage in Karabakh 20 November 2020, 10:58
- Russian Orthodox Church denies Serbian Patriarch Irinej deceased 19 November 2020, 17:40
- Free visits may be arranged for believers to ancient Christian monastery in northern Karabakh - Russian military 16 November 2020, 17:34
- Karabakh archbishop hospitalized after heart attack 16 November 2020, 14:23
- Putin calls for preserving churches in the transferred territories of Karabakh 16 November 2020, 11:23
- Azerbaijanis desecrated cathedral in Shushi - Armenian Church 16 November 2020, 11:11
- Metropolitan Hilarion speaks of risks of start of third world war 16 November 2020, 11:09
- Russian Orthodox Church expects Biden to stop supporting abortion, sex change operations 16 November 2020, 10:49
- Spiritual Muslim Board of Russia denies existence of overwhelming support for ban on marrying non-Muslim women 11 November 2020, 19:21
- Novosibirsk court outlaws Khakassia branch of Chinese sect Falun Gong for first time in Russia 10 November 2020, 15:32
- Coronavirus-induced self-isolation helps reduce ethnic and religious violence - human rights activist 10 November 2020, 10:23
- Moscow religious organizations have weak influence on local migrants - mufti 10 November 2020, 10:21
- Performance artist posing as Christ detained near FSB headquarters in Moscow 06 November 2020, 10:25
- Putin said inadmissible to hurt feelings of believers, to allow extremism - Peskov 05 November 2020, 13:29
- Russian Orthodox Church warns against danger of unsanctioned exorcism 05 November 2020, 10:40
- Patriarch Kirill mourns over victims of Vienna terrorist attack 05 November 2020, 10:38
- Inter-ethnic relations situation exacerbated in several countries, Russia must not allow this - Putin 05 November 2020, 10:37
- Putin backs idea of int'l ban on insulting religious feelings 05 November 2020, 10:33
- Russia's Chief Rabbi Lazar opposed to phrase 'Islamic terrorism' 03 November 2020, 19:00
- Freedom of speech mustn't hurt religious feelings - Russia's Matviyenko 03 November 2020, 18:27
- Lukashenko calls on Catholic Church to play constructive role in Belarus 03 November 2020, 15:56
- Expert on Islam calls the terrorist attack in Vienna an echo of the caricature scandal in France 03 November 2020, 13:00