07 November 2019, 14:54
Latvian Orthodox Church denies rumors about transition to Constantinople jurisdiction
Riga, November 7, Interfax - The Synod of the Latvian Orthodox Church (LOC) has denied media reports on its transition from the Moscow Patriarchate to the Constantinople Patriarchate.
"All reports on the alleged transition or transfer of our Church to Constantinople amount to a bare-faced lie. It has been invented by enemies of the Orthodox faith and reproduced by the mass media," the LOC Synod said in a statement posted on the LOC website.
The Synod said the rumors began after a new organization named the Latvian Orthodox Autonomous Church in the jurisdiction of the Constantinople Patriarchate was registered in the register of the country's enterprises on October 24. It is led by Viktor Kontuzorov, who was excommunicated by the LOC Assembly in 1997. The decision was recognized throughout the Orthodox world.
"Viktor Kontuzorov has not been an Orthodox Christian since then and he has no relation to Holy Orthodoxy," the statement said.
Members of the Synod said the current situation is as follows: the LOC is registered in Latvia and the Latvian Orthodox Autonomous Church is registered in the Constantinople jurisdiction on Kontuzorov's initiative. "These are two different legal entities, which have nothing in common. The new registration has no relation to the Latvian Orthodox Church of the Moscow Patriarchate and it has no influence on the situation of our Church and its name," the Synod said.
In closing, the hierarchs of the canonical Church called on their flock "not to believe these provocative ideas," saying that "all these stories are targeted not only against the Latvian Orthodox Church but against every Orthodox Christian in Latvia."
- Presidents of Russia, Israel agree to continue departmental contacts regarding Jewish Agency for Israel 09 August 2022, 13:49
- Pope Francis holds lengthy meeting with head of Moscow Patriarchate's external relations dept 05 August 2022, 16:49
- 'Foreign ministers' of Russian Orthodox Church, Holy See meet in Vatican 04 August 2022, 16:44
- Zelensky tasks PM with considering legalization of same-sex marriages in Ukraine 03 August 2022, 14:38
- Pope to pay visit to Kazakhstan on Sept 13-15 01 August 2022, 13:55
- Kremlin refuses to comment on situation surrounding Jewish Agency for Israel 29 July 2022, 14:48
- Patriarch Kirill describes all Orthodox Ukrainians as children of Russian Orthodox Church 28 July 2022, 22:27
- Russian State Duma speaker says is certain bills banning propaganda of non-traditional values will be adopted 28 July 2022, 11:39
- Russian Church views Patriarch Kirill's ban on entry to Lithuania as abandoning European legal tradition 27 July 2022, 19:28
- Patriarch Kirill banned from entering Lithuania until 2027 27 July 2022, 18:15
- FJCR claims that they have not received notifications about the closure 27 July 2022, 14:25
- The return of Alexander Metochin to Russia outside the competence of the Jewish community – FJCR 27 July 2022, 14:18
- Israel ready for talks with Russia on Jewish Agency situation – PM 27 July 2022, 14:10
- Russian Church doubles the number of its clerics in Africa in seven months 27 July 2022, 11:33
- Situation surrounding Jewish Agency for Israel in Russia should not be politicized - Kremlin 26 July 2022, 17:27
- Russian court asked to declare Tajik Islamic Renaissance Party terrorist organization 25 July 2022, 18:13
- Person behind blast at Orthodox school in Russia's Serpukhov given 13-year term 25 July 2022, 15:47
- Blast rocks church in Syria at its inauguration ceremony 25 July 2022, 11:41
- Orthodox Church of Jerusalem urges West to stop attacks on Patriarch Kirill 22 July 2022, 21:40
- Intention to close down Jewish Agency for Israel in Russia linked not to 'brain drain', but to compliance with Russian laws - Kremlin 22 July 2022, 18:10
- The Federation of Jewish Communities concerned about plans to eliminate Sochnut in Russia 22 July 2022, 18:06
- Tajik president warns of danger of religious extremism ideology 21 July 2022, 17:28
- Russian Justice Ministry's Moscow branch seeks to shut down Jewish Agency for Israel 21 July 2022, 15:40
- Tretyakov Gallery dismisses as 'premature' talk about time of Rublev's Trinity return on permanent display 19 July 2022, 19:39
- Rublev's Trinity icon returned from Trinity Lavra to Tretyakov Gallery with no signs of deterioration 19 July 2022, 16:05
- Bill banning propaganda of non-traditional sexual relations submitted to State Duma 18 July 2022, 16:41
- Rublev's Trinity icon delivered to Trinity Lavra in special climate-controlled display case 18 July 2022, 10:07
- Rublev's Trinity icon delivered to Trinity Lavra for first time since 1917 Revolution 18 July 2022, 10:02
- Putin signs into law bill setting up state databank of extremist materials 14 July 2022, 16:52
- Kyrgyz special services claim to have prevented terrorist on Eid al-Adha in Bishkek 12 July 2022, 17:02