21 November 2019, 17:22
Patriarch of Jerusalem initiates meeting of heads of local churches in Amman with view to preserving church unity
Moscow, November 21, Interfax - Patriarch Theophilos III of Jerusalem has called on heads of Orthodox Christian Churches across the world to gather in Amman to discuss the problem of preserving pan-Orthodox unity.
"We are taking this opportunity to announce that we open the doors of our home in the Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan to convene a loving brotherly meeting in order to testify before the Church and the world the Orthodox Church's unity and our Orthodox faith," Patriarch Theophilos said at a ceremony in Moscow when accepting an award from the Unity of Orthodox Nations Foundation on Thursday.
He expressed "deep concern over the current hardships casting a shadow over the life of the Church and the threats we are facing because of our regretful divisions."
"We stand before God and have no other path than to make every effort to preserve our unity," the patriarch said.
The Patriarch of Jerusalem is presently one of the principle allies of the Moscow Patriarchate regarding the matter of Ukraine. Theophilos III refuses to recognize the illegal clerical entity of the Orthodox Church of Ukraine (OCU) set up by the Church of Constantinople late last year. He has repeatedly spoken in support of the canonical Ukrainian Orthodox Church led by Metropolitan Onufry. There have also been reports alleging that Patriarch Theophilos III does not admit OCU representatives to the holy sites and relics of Jerusalem.
- Patriarch Kirill urges believers to sturdily face all "temporary difficulties" 03 April 2020, 18:07
- Patriarch Kirill going around Moscow with icon to rid people of coronavirus 03 April 2020, 17:47
- Almost all members of the Moscow Jewish Community recovered from Covid-19 03 April 2020, 17:10
- Russian Orthodox Church considers untimely forecasts about the form of Easter celebrations 03 April 2020, 16:43
- Heads of Jewish communities around the world urge to exchange words of support on the eve of Pesach 03 April 2020, 14:00
- One more Russian Orthodox metropolitan carries out air procession with cross against coronavirus 02 April 2020, 17:34
- Head of the Byelorussian Orthodox Church to fly along the country’s borders with relics and prayers to stop coronavirus 02 April 2020, 17:32
- About 20 members of Jewish community of Russia hospitalized with coronavirus suspected 02 April 2020, 16:05
- Moscow rabbi recovers from coronavirus 01 April 2020, 17:09
- Patriarch to go around Moscow with icon of Our Lady to rid people of coronavirus 01 April 2020, 13:24
- Patriarch Kirill calls on believers to refrain from visiting churches amid coronavirus pandemic 29 March 2020, 20:09
- Opera singer Svetlana Kasyan hospitalized with coronavirus 28 March 2020, 18:10
- Patriarch Kirill prays for the end of pandemic 28 March 2020, 17:58
- The Federation of Jewish Communities of Russia will give Pesach food sets to all parishioners 28 March 2020, 17:55
- Case of leader of Aum Shinrikyo group in Russia sent to prosecutor 26 March 2020, 19:27
- Belarusian Orthodox Church doesn't plan to cancel Easter processions 26 March 2020, 16:25
- Russian Orthodox Church shows understanding of Sobyanin's advice not to attend service but says churches will stay open 26 March 2020, 15:08
- Sobyanin asks Muscovites not to visit religious sites 26 March 2020, 10:49
- Ukrainian monasteries will assign premises for Covid-19 patients 25 March 2020, 19:24
- FJCR closes all its synagogues in Russia 25 March 2020, 15:49
- Monastery south of Moscow thrown away dozens of dogs, police was told they miraculously flew away 24 March 2020, 17:40
- Lukashenko on coronavirus: If we get through until Orthodox Easter, we'll live 24 March 2020, 14:40
- Kyrgyz missionary contracts Covid-19 in Pakistan - Kyrgyz Foreign Ministry 23 March 2020, 14:40
- Georgian churches to let in max. 10 people in state of emergency - premier 23 March 2020, 12:29
- Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia's council postponed due to coronavirus 20 March 2020, 19:52
- Rabbi beaten to death in Dagestan 20 March 2020, 19:12
- Friday prayers cancelled in Moscow's mosques 20 March 2020, 13:33
- Tajikistan lifts ban on joint prayers in mosques 19 March 2020, 19:02
- Russian Orthodox Church does not exclude usage of plastic spoons for Communion 18 March 2020, 16:43
- Chief rabbi of Russia closes his synagogue 18 March 2020, 14:12