21 November 2019, 20:50
Russian Orthodox Church welcomes Jerusalem patriarch's proposal of Church leaders' meeting to settle differences
Moscow, November 21, Interfax - The Moscow Patriarchate has backed an initiative by the Patriarch of Jerusalem, Theophilos III, to hold a meeting of local Church leaders in Amman to discuss how to preserve the pan-Orthodox unity.
"It was with gratefulness that we perceived the initiative of the Patriarch of Jerusalem, Theophilos III. Someone has to begin and invite fellow church leaders to discuss current difficulties and differences. And it is very good that such an initiative is coming from the leader of the oldest, very first Orthodox Church, which truly is the Mother of all others," deputy head of the Synodal Department for External Church Relations Archpriest Nikolay Balashov told Interfax on Thursday.
The Russian Orthodox Church is also glad that the patriarch spoke after a joint liturgy service with Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia at the Cathedral of Christ the Savior in Moscow, he said.
"The Russian Orthodox Church is ready to support all efforts aimed at developing fraternal communion and dialogue among local Orthodox Churches," the priest said.
Theophilos III voiced the proposal while receiving an award for strengthening Orthodox unity at the cathedral earlier on Thursday.
Currently the main issue on the inter-Orthodox agenda is that of the Patriarchate of Constantinople having recognized a Ukrainian non-canonical religious organization, the OCU, set up about a year ago. Later the OCU was also recognized by the leaders of the Greek Orthodox Church and the Greek Church of Alexandria.
- Disgraced Father Sergy planning to hold his own religious procession in Ural region on Royal Days 07 July 2020, 18:49
- Six Muslims detained in Crimea on suspicion of involvement in Hizb ut-Tahrir 07 July 2020, 16:09
- Kremlin not following situation surrounding rebellious Urals cleric Sergy - Peskov 07 July 2020, 14:55
- Court in Sverdlovsk Region fines ex-priest Sergy 90,000 rubles for spreading false information 07 July 2020, 13:52
- Hagia Sophia in Istanbul should remain symbol of interfaith accord - State Duma 07 July 2020, 10:19
- Yekaterinburg metropolitan rebukes rebellious monk Sergy for glorifying Stalin 07 July 2020, 10:17
- Patriarch Kirill calls for preserving Hagia Sophia's museum status (updated) 06 July 2020, 15:43
- Kremlin hopes Hagia Sophia's global significance, sacred value to be accounted for in determining its status in Turkey 06 July 2020, 14:03
- Russian Foreign Ministry hopes global significance of Hagia Sophia will be taken into account when determining its status 06 July 2020, 12:48
- Russian Orthodox Church calls Hagia Sophia's transformation into mosque inadmissible 06 July 2020, 10:20
- Putin states need for public monitoring of LGBT propaganda 03 July 2020, 18:27
- Metropolitan Hilarion: Hagia Sophia is heritage of entire mankind 03 July 2020, 18:25
- Russia hasn't restricted, won't restrict rights based on race, sexual orientation - Putin 03 July 2020, 17:51
- Putin comments on LGBT flag flying over U.S. embassy building in Moscow 03 July 2020, 17:46
- Church court defrocks Urals Schema-Hegumen Sergy, who cursed people who closed churches 03 July 2020, 13:09
- All members of the Jewish community in Moscow recovered from coronavirus 03 July 2020, 12:40
- Mufti Tajuddin proposes making Hagia Sophia common prayer-house for Muslims and Christians 03 July 2020, 10:09
- Duma's Tolstoy sees demonstration of LGBT flags on embassy buildings in Moscow as attempt to influence voting on constitutional amendments 02 July 2020, 12:39
- The FJCR president believes other countries to appreciate the importance of amendment about marriage as a union between a man and a woman 02 July 2020, 12:36
- Famous Transfiguration church in Kizhi to resume services after 40 years 30 June 2020, 18:04
- Filaret demands another tomos from Patriarch Bartholomew 29 June 2020, 20:59
- Russian Orthodox Church sees Ural priest's calls against participation in amendments vote as "tragicomic' 29 June 2020, 18:08
- Church court again makes no decision on behavior of Urals priest who cursed people who closed churches 29 June 2020, 10:05
- Russian Jews urges American demonstrators to peaceful dialogue 29 June 2020, 10:00
- Forced treatment of shaman Gabyshev is illegal - Memorial 25 June 2020, 21:17
- Kremlin hopes rainbow flag on U.S. embassy in Moscow drew attention of Russian Foreign Ministry 25 June 2020, 14:54
- Kusturica called Russia's chief military church personification of power, talent and faith 25 June 2020, 12:55
- Jews will never forget heroism of the Soviet Army that stopped Holocaust - FJCR president 25 June 2020, 10:08
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church Metropolitan Sofrony dies 23 June 2020, 20:12
- Leader of Tuva Buddhists dies of Covid-19 23 June 2020, 18:26