21 November 2019, 20:50
Russian Orthodox Church welcomes Jerusalem patriarch's proposal of Church leaders' meeting to settle differences
Moscow, November 21, Interfax - The Moscow Patriarchate has backed an initiative by the Patriarch of Jerusalem, Theophilos III, to hold a meeting of local Church leaders in Amman to discuss how to preserve the pan-Orthodox unity.
"It was with gratefulness that we perceived the initiative of the Patriarch of Jerusalem, Theophilos III. Someone has to begin and invite fellow church leaders to discuss current difficulties and differences. And it is very good that such an initiative is coming from the leader of the oldest, very first Orthodox Church, which truly is the Mother of all others," deputy head of the Synodal Department for External Church Relations Archpriest Nikolay Balashov told Interfax on Thursday.
The Russian Orthodox Church is also glad that the patriarch spoke after a joint liturgy service with Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia at the Cathedral of Christ the Savior in Moscow, he said.
"The Russian Orthodox Church is ready to support all efforts aimed at developing fraternal communion and dialogue among local Orthodox Churches," the priest said.
Theophilos III voiced the proposal while receiving an award for strengthening Orthodox unity at the cathedral earlier on Thursday.
Currently the main issue on the inter-Orthodox agenda is that of the Patriarchate of Constantinople having recognized a Ukrainian non-canonical religious organization, the OCU, set up about a year ago. Later the OCU was also recognized by the leaders of the Greek Orthodox Church and the Greek Church of Alexandria.
- Ukrainian govt refuses to cancel lease with Ukrainian Orthodox Church 24 June 2022, 19:51
- Patriarch Kirill visits Russian servicemen injured during special operation in Ukraine 21 June 2022, 21:24
- Russia to hold 'Candle of Memory' vigil on eve of war's anniversary 21 June 2022, 20:06
- Jerusalem Patriarchate condemns Western rhetoric against Patriarch Kirill 21 June 2022, 19:02
- The image of the Virgin appeared on the door of Russian military hospital 21 June 2022, 18:01
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church asks EU diplomats for protection 16 June 2022, 19:46
- Russian Orthodox Church describes sanctions against Patriarch Kirill as absurd, pointless 16 June 2022, 14:47
- UK imposes sanctions on Patriarch Kirill 16 June 2022, 13:54
- LGBT pride parade won't be allowed in Chisinau - city mayor 14 June 2022, 10:00
- All-Tatar Public Center designated as extremist organization, banned 10 June 2022, 14:19
- Russian Orthodox Church concerned about prospects of ban on marches near clinics, religious sites 10 June 2022, 14:17
- Rallies, demonstrations to be prohibited near religious buildings in Russia 09 June 2022, 16:39
- Over half of Russians favor restrictions on migrants' entry into country - senior Kremlin official 09 June 2022, 15:28
- Draft bill stipulating fines up to 10 mln rubles for propaganda of non-traditional sexual relations submitted to State Duma 07 June 2022, 21:10
- Russian court gives four Jehovah's Witnesses real jail time, suspended sentences in Trans-Baikal Territory 07 June 2022, 19:29
- Russian army averted damage to Sviatogorsk Lavra's historical and Orthodox monuments 07 June 2022, 15:28
- Metropolitan Hilarion relieved of duties as Moscow Patriarchate's external relations dept chairman 07 June 2022, 15:03
- Only Local Council can change status of Ukrainian Orthodox Church - Moscow Synod 07 June 2022, 15:01
- Crimean bishoprics directly subordinated to Patriarch Kirill 07 June 2022, 14:21
- Patriarch Kirill calls Belarus a truly sovereign state 06 June 2022, 12:52
- Process of transfer of Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem to Russia to be completed in foreseeable future - Russian FM 03 June 2022, 19:51
- Friendship of Slavic peoples to stand test of time - Patriarch Kirill 02 June 2022, 10:00
- Lavrov, OIC secretary general discuss causes of escalation in int'l relations 01 June 2022, 10:00
- Borrell's remarks on Russian patriarch give Kiev 'sanction' to persecute canonical Church – Moscow Patriarchate 31 May 2022, 18:21
- Another Donbass diocese disagrees with UOC decision to proclaim independence 31 May 2022, 17:50
- Chisinau mayor says won't allow LGBT pride parade to happen 31 May 2022, 17:22
- Ukrainian Verkhovna Rada votes for sanctions on Patriarch Kirill 31 May 2022, 15:46
- Russian Church compares Borrel with the jackal Tabaki from Mowgli 31 May 2022, 14:12
- Zakharova on plans to impose sanctions against the patriarch: no one submits notes about the health of EU 31 May 2022, 13:14
- Russia has immunity against any military adventurism - Patriarch Kirill 30 May 2022, 20:54