25 November 2019, 18:46
Sholem Aleichem monument vandalized near synagogue in Kiev
Kiev, November 25, Interfax - The monument to Jewish writer Sholem Aleichem in downtown Kiev was vandalized in the early hours of Monday; an unidentified person painted a red swastika on it.
The monument is located on Rohnidynska Street not far from the Brodsky Choral Synagogue.
"Yet another provocation aimed against our synagogue [...] [happened] this morning," Chief Rabbi of Ukraine and Kiev Moshe Reuven Azman wrote on Facebook on Monday and posted photographs taken at the scene of the incident.
The investigative department of the Pecherskyi district police station has initiated a criminal case following the incident.
"An employee of the religious institution on Shota Rustaveli Street reported to the Kiev police that unknown individuals had drawn on the monument with paint at night. The operative and investigative team of the Pecherskyi district police station responded to the call and documented the incident," the Kiev police communications department said.
A criminal case of hooliganism was opened; the punishment is up to five years of imprisonment. "The measures to determine and detain the persons involved in the offense are under way," the communications department said.
The life-size Sholem Aleichem monument was built on Baseina Street in 1997, was moved to Rohnidynska Street in 2001, and underwent restoration in 2005. The height of the bronze sculpture is 2.5 meters; it is installed on a 0.8-meter high pedestal. It stands on steps engraved with the writer's surname in Ukrainian and Yiddish.
Sholem Aleichem spent his early years in what is now the Kiev Region and in the city of Lubny in the Poltava Region and resided in Kiev in 1887-1890 and 1893-1905, later relocating to Lvov. He then lived in Italy, Switzerland, and the United States.
- Archpriest Chaplin died of heart attack 27 January 2020, 18:51
- Russian Church accuses Constantinople for ingratitude and Russophobia 27 January 2020, 18:45
- Court bans leader of Murmansk Jehovah's Witnesses from talking to fellow members, using Internet 27 January 2020, 12:03
- Well-known priest Vsevolod Chaplin dies in Moscow 26 January 2020, 22:36
- FJCR hopes Marshal Konev monument in Prague won't be demolished 24 January 2020, 19:54
- Orthodox community in Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem to appeal decision on property change 24 January 2020, 18:50
- FJCR doesn't link Issachar's possible pardon to handover of Alexander Metochion to Russia 24 January 2020, 14:03
- Jews fleeing Europe - Kantor 24 January 2020, 10:01
- Patriarch Kirill regrets that mankind didn't fully learn lesson from Holocaust 24 January 2020, 09:55
- Global community should respond to manifestations of antisemitism, attempts to vindicate Nazis - Putin 23 January 2020, 14:08
- Associates of shaman Gabyshev detained in Yakutia 23 January 2020, 11:28
- Local Jehovah's Witnesses leader held in Murmansk 23 January 2020, 11:22
- World's biggest Orthodox church may be built in Urals 23 January 2020, 11:21
- Issue of Alexander Metochion handover to Russia could be resolved in coming days - Israeli govt 23 January 2020, 11:18
- German society working at St. Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem not informed of property handover 22 January 2020, 18:52
- Putin to meet with Patriarch Theophilos and mother of Israeli woman convicted in Russia 22 January 2020, 17:53
- Russian embassy in Israel not commenting on reports on giving Russia rights to Alexander's metochion in Jerusalem 22 January 2020, 15:58
- Bomb scare in Cathedral of Christ the Savior 22 January 2020, 11:55
- Russian Church dismisses criticism about seeking to seize leadership of Orthodox world 21 January 2020, 21:33
- Russian Church to open aid center in Syria for children affected by hostilities 21 January 2020, 20:01
- Filaret demands that Constantinople return original of decree issued by UOC-KP assembly on its dissolution 20 January 2020, 19:27
- 'God Kuzya' accomplices detained in Moscow 17 January 2020, 17:59
- Sword seized from Yakut shaman returned 17 January 2020, 17:58
- Task of Jewish community is address help to people - Rabbi Lazar 16 January 2020, 20:43
- New U.S. ambassador to Russia prefers ice hockey to ice-water dips 16 January 2020, 18:18
- Russian Church praises Putin's attention to traditional values of Russians 15 January 2020, 17:49
- Georgian patriarch becomes godfather to another 500 children 15 January 2020, 15:06
- The Russian Orthodox Church official believes Stalin could have become a good bishop 13 January 2020, 19:36
- Russian Church predicts further schisms in western Protestant Churches 13 January 2020, 16:32
- Russian Church believes churches are good for making Orthodox acquaintances 13 January 2020, 14:10