25 November 2019, 18:46
Sholem Aleichem monument vandalized near synagogue in Kiev
Kiev, November 25, Interfax - The monument to Jewish writer Sholem Aleichem in downtown Kiev was vandalized in the early hours of Monday; an unidentified person painted a red swastika on it.
The monument is located on Rohnidynska Street not far from the Brodsky Choral Synagogue.
"Yet another provocation aimed against our synagogue [...] [happened] this morning," Chief Rabbi of Ukraine and Kiev Moshe Reuven Azman wrote on Facebook on Monday and posted photographs taken at the scene of the incident.
The investigative department of the Pecherskyi district police station has initiated a criminal case following the incident.
"An employee of the religious institution on Shota Rustaveli Street reported to the Kiev police that unknown individuals had drawn on the monument with paint at night. The operative and investigative team of the Pecherskyi district police station responded to the call and documented the incident," the Kiev police communications department said.
A criminal case of hooliganism was opened; the punishment is up to five years of imprisonment. "The measures to determine and detain the persons involved in the offense are under way," the communications department said.
The life-size Sholem Aleichem monument was built on Baseina Street in 1997, was moved to Rohnidynska Street in 2001, and underwent restoration in 2005. The height of the bronze sculpture is 2.5 meters; it is installed on a 0.8-meter high pedestal. It stands on steps engraved with the writer's surname in Ukrainian and Yiddish.
Sholem Aleichem spent his early years in what is now the Kiev Region and in the city of Lubny in the Poltava Region and resided in Kiev in 1887-1890 and 1893-1905, later relocating to Lvov. He then lived in Italy, Switzerland, and the United States.
- Disgraced Father Sergy planning to hold his own religious procession in Ural region on Royal Days 07 July 2020, 18:49
- Six Muslims detained in Crimea on suspicion of involvement in Hizb ut-Tahrir 07 July 2020, 16:09
- Kremlin not following situation surrounding rebellious Urals cleric Sergy - Peskov 07 July 2020, 14:55
- Court in Sverdlovsk Region fines ex-priest Sergy 90,000 rubles for spreading false information 07 July 2020, 13:52
- Hagia Sophia in Istanbul should remain symbol of interfaith accord - State Duma 07 July 2020, 10:19
- Yekaterinburg metropolitan rebukes rebellious monk Sergy for glorifying Stalin 07 July 2020, 10:17
- Patriarch Kirill calls for preserving Hagia Sophia's museum status (updated) 06 July 2020, 15:43
- Kremlin hopes Hagia Sophia's global significance, sacred value to be accounted for in determining its status in Turkey 06 July 2020, 14:03
- Russian Foreign Ministry hopes global significance of Hagia Sophia will be taken into account when determining its status 06 July 2020, 12:48
- Russian Orthodox Church calls Hagia Sophia's transformation into mosque inadmissible 06 July 2020, 10:20
- Putin states need for public monitoring of LGBT propaganda 03 July 2020, 18:27
- Metropolitan Hilarion: Hagia Sophia is heritage of entire mankind 03 July 2020, 18:25
- Russia hasn't restricted, won't restrict rights based on race, sexual orientation - Putin 03 July 2020, 17:51
- Putin comments on LGBT flag flying over U.S. embassy building in Moscow 03 July 2020, 17:46
- Church court defrocks Urals Schema-Hegumen Sergy, who cursed people who closed churches 03 July 2020, 13:09
- All members of the Jewish community in Moscow recovered from coronavirus 03 July 2020, 12:40
- Mufti Tajuddin proposes making Hagia Sophia common prayer-house for Muslims and Christians 03 July 2020, 10:09
- Duma's Tolstoy sees demonstration of LGBT flags on embassy buildings in Moscow as attempt to influence voting on constitutional amendments 02 July 2020, 12:39
- The FJCR president believes other countries to appreciate the importance of amendment about marriage as a union between a man and a woman 02 July 2020, 12:36
- Famous Transfiguration church in Kizhi to resume services after 40 years 30 June 2020, 18:04
- Filaret demands another tomos from Patriarch Bartholomew 29 June 2020, 20:59
- Russian Orthodox Church sees Ural priest's calls against participation in amendments vote as "tragicomic' 29 June 2020, 18:08
- Church court again makes no decision on behavior of Urals priest who cursed people who closed churches 29 June 2020, 10:05
- Russian Jews urges American demonstrators to peaceful dialogue 29 June 2020, 10:00
- Forced treatment of shaman Gabyshev is illegal - Memorial 25 June 2020, 21:17
- Kremlin hopes rainbow flag on U.S. embassy in Moscow drew attention of Russian Foreign Ministry 25 June 2020, 14:54
- Kusturica called Russia's chief military church personification of power, talent and faith 25 June 2020, 12:55
- Jews will never forget heroism of the Soviet Army that stopped Holocaust - FJCR president 25 June 2020, 10:08
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church Metropolitan Sofrony dies 23 June 2020, 20:12
- Leader of Tuva Buddhists dies of Covid-19 23 June 2020, 18:26