25 November 2019, 18:46
Sholem Aleichem monument vandalized near synagogue in Kiev
Kiev, November 25, Interfax - The monument to Jewish writer Sholem Aleichem in downtown Kiev was vandalized in the early hours of Monday; an unidentified person painted a red swastika on it.
The monument is located on Rohnidynska Street not far from the Brodsky Choral Synagogue.
"Yet another provocation aimed against our synagogue [...] [happened] this morning," Chief Rabbi of Ukraine and Kiev Moshe Reuven Azman wrote on Facebook on Monday and posted photographs taken at the scene of the incident.
The investigative department of the Pecherskyi district police station has initiated a criminal case following the incident.
"An employee of the religious institution on Shota Rustaveli Street reported to the Kiev police that unknown individuals had drawn on the monument with paint at night. The operative and investigative team of the Pecherskyi district police station responded to the call and documented the incident," the Kiev police communications department said.
A criminal case of hooliganism was opened; the punishment is up to five years of imprisonment. "The measures to determine and detain the persons involved in the offense are under way," the communications department said.
The life-size Sholem Aleichem monument was built on Baseina Street in 1997, was moved to Rohnidynska Street in 2001, and underwent restoration in 2005. The height of the bronze sculpture is 2.5 meters; it is installed on a 0.8-meter high pedestal. It stands on steps engraved with the writer's surname in Ukrainian and Yiddish.
Sholem Aleichem spent his early years in what is now the Kiev Region and in the city of Lubny in the Poltava Region and resided in Kiev in 1887-1890 and 1893-1905, later relocating to Lvov. He then lived in Italy, Switzerland, and the United States.
- Muslim countries can rely on Russia's support in tackling regional crises – Putin 28 July 2021, 14:01
- Court again commits Yakut shaman Gabyshev to psychiatric clinic 27 July 2021, 10:46
- Three Jehovah's Witnesses fined in Kirov 21 July 2021, 17:30
- Putin congratulates Russian Muslims on Eid al-Adha 20 July 2021, 11:20
- No one has the right to make a decision on vaccination for a person – Russian bishop 19 July 2021, 11:07
- Moscow Patriarchate will support Russian athletes in Tokyo 19 July 2021, 10:36
- Duma's Slutsky doubts impartiality of ECHR judges 16 July 2021, 21:26
- Three Jehovah's Witnesses given suspended prison sentences in Russia's Sverdlovsk Region 16 July 2021, 21:24
- Russia won't look for 'compromise' as concerns registering same-sex relations – Peskov 14 July 2021, 15:38
- ECHR judges who considered issue of same-sex marriage in Russia should resign - Duma speaker 14 July 2021, 10:05
- Russia won't follow ECHR recommendation on same-sex marriage - deputy head of Duma committee 14 July 2021, 10:03
- ECHR urges Russia to allow same-sex marriages 14 July 2021, 10:00
- Patriarch Kirill asks Mishustin to support the bill banning surrogacy for foreigners 12 July 2021, 17:49
- Mosques in Moscow to be closed to believers on Eid al-Adha 12 July 2021, 10:25
- Diplomatic missions condemn violence at Tbilisi LGBT march 05 July 2021, 18:21
- March in support of LGBT community in Tbilisi cancelled 05 July 2021, 16:53
- Opponents of LGBT community attack journalists in Tbilisi 05 July 2021, 15:49
- Georgian PM asks LGBT community to cancel march in Tbilisi 05 July 2021, 15:48
- The anti-terrorist exercises held in Kiev synagogue with Israeli ambassador 05 July 2021, 11:24
- Main threat to the traditional morality of Russians emanates from U.S., allies - national security strategy 05 July 2021, 10:05
- Radicals in Tbilisi protest against LGBT events 02 July 2021, 10:06
- A thousand churches may collapse in Russia in the next ten years 01 July 2021, 18:04
- Moscow court outlaws Eye of God Telegram bot 01 July 2021, 17:58
- Russian Church proposes to make the Day of Crimea's Reunification with Russia a national holiday 30 June 2021, 14:23
- The Russian Church speaker advises to learn politeness and self-organization from the West 30 June 2021, 14:12
- A fire elevator removed a woman who became ill from the colonnade of St. Isaac 28 June 2021, 17:44
- Plans to remove Russians from list of native peoples of Ukraine utter nonsense - Russian Orthodox Church 28 June 2021, 11:18
- Russia not to link coronavirus vaccine supply to politics and religion 24 June 2021, 18:10
- Russian Church calls for a general mobilization against coronavirus 21 June 2021, 12:08
- Russian Orthodox Church supports ban on foreigners using surrogacy services 11 June 2021, 16:32