26 November 2019, 10:07
Georgian patriarch, foreign ambassadors discuss detention of doctor Gaprindashvili in S. Ossetia
Tbilisi, November 26, Interfax - Catholicos-Patriarch Ilia II of Georgia discussed the situation in South Ossetia with the diplomats accredited in Tbilisi, spokesman of the Georgian Patriarchate Archpriest Andria Dzhagmaidze told reporters.
The patriarchate hosted a meeting, which was attended by the ambassadors of 36 countries, he said.
The issue of South Ossetia, including the situation surrounding the detentions of Georgian citizens for violating the border, was addressed at the meeting, the priest said.
The meeting focused on the issue of well-known Georgian doctor Vazhi Gaprindashvili, who was detained in South Ossetia on November 9, the spokesman said.
Other issues were also discussed at the meeting, he said.
Earlier on Monday, Gaprindashvili's relatives requested through the Georgian Foreign Ministry that the UN secretary-general facilitate the release of the doctor and send a special commission to South Ossetia to this end.
Gaprindashvili was detained by South Ossetian border guards on November 9. A criminal case was opened against Gaprindashvili under Article 322 of the Russian Criminal Code (illegal border crossing), the press service of the South Ossetian State Security Committee (KGB) said later.
According to Georgian media reports, this doctor declined to provide the medical aid to a patient in South Ossetia.
Meanwhile, the South Ossetian KGB viewed the illegal republican border crossing by Gaprindashvili as Tbilisi's provocation.
- Three religious extremists detained in Kazan 20 February 2020, 18:30
- Putin calls to halt any religious discord 20 February 2020, 13:25
- All Russian Orthodox Church parishes in Southeast Asia to pray for riddance of coronavirus 19 February 2020, 18:41
- Court arrests Moscow church attacker 18 February 2020, 19:27
- Investigators file for arrest of suspected assailant of Moscow churchgoers 18 February 2020, 12:18
- Man who attacked people in Moscow church says didn't plan crime, 'got up on wrong side of bed' 17 February 2020, 22:06
- Four members of banned pseudo-religious group convicted in Orenburg Region 17 February 2020, 18:38
- Georgian Church decides not to take part in pan-Orthodox meeting in Jordan 17 February 2020, 18:33
- Romanian Church to agree with granting of tomos to Orthodox Church in Ukraine, provided that Constantinople and Moscow reach consensus - media (updated) 14 February 2020, 21:11
- Karekin II grateful to Syria for recognizing Armenian genocide 14 February 2020, 18:08
- Pan-Orthodox meeting on 'Ukrainian issue' to be held in Amman on Feb 26 (updated) 14 February 2020, 15:08
- No same-sex marriage to be legitimized in Russia as long as I am president - Putin (updated) 13 February 2020, 17:31
- Orthodox leaders to discuss 'Ukrainian issue' in Amman in late Feb (updated) 12 February 2020, 21:28
- CPRF doesn't mind mentioning God in Russian constitution 11 February 2020, 18:30
- Criminal case opened in Transbaikal Territory after searches of residences of suspected Jehovah's Witnesses 10 February 2020, 19:57
- A woman could head the Russian Church synodal department 10 February 2020, 12:34
- Russian Church proposes to designate the special role of Russians in Constitution 10 February 2020, 12:15
- Zelensky invites Pope to visit Ukraine 10 February 2020, 11:58
- Zelensky asks Pope to help with release of Ukrainians in custody in Russia, Donbass 10 February 2020, 11:55
- Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem working as usual, has no info on property handover 05 February 2020, 21:25
- Yakut shaman complains to ECHR 05 February 2020, 18:09
- OCU terminates Filaret's membership in Holy Synod 05 February 2020, 12:27
- Russian Orthodox Church could discontinue practice of blessing WMDs 04 February 2020, 21:05
- Enshrining 'traditional marriage' in constitution at bottom of working group's agenda 04 February 2020, 19:14
- Krasheninnikov against enshrining family, God in constitution 04 February 2020, 18:58
- Pompeo praises Uzbekistan for progress in upholding religious freedom 03 February 2020, 19:17
- Marriage, not family should be defined as union between man and woman in Russian Constitution - Russian Orthodox Church 03 February 2020, 18:04
- Working group to discuss appropriateness of mentioning God in Constitution – Kremlin 03 February 2020, 13:57
- Patriarch Kirill proposes mentioning God in Constitution 02 February 2020, 19:02
- Orthodox society active at Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem still has no info on property transfer to Russia 31 January 2020, 15:14