11 December 2019, 10:10
Mufti Gainutdin calls on Muslim leaders to protect persecuted Christians of Africa, Middle East
Berlin, December 11, Interfax - Russian Council of Muftis' head Ravil Gainutdin has called on Muslim politicians to attend to the protection of the Christians of the Middle East and Africa forced to leave their homes.
"The fact that Muslims represented by their political leaders are indifferent to the mass exodus of our brothers the Christians from the lands they traditionally live in the Middle East, are indifferent to inter-faith tensions and conflicts in Africa is a reason to be ashamed," Gainutdin said at the 15th International Muslim Forum in Berlin.
He said he is well aware of the religious and racial discrimination Muslims experience in Europe.
"At the same time, let's be honest that the Muslim world has to travel no less or perhaps even more difficult path to defend the rights of the religious minorities and their future," the Russian mufti said, adding that the situation of Christians in the Middle East following the well-known political events of the past 15-20 years is "truly disastrous."
The upcoming 75th anniversary of the end of the Second World War in May 2020 is "a cautionary advice to us all, a warning against the devastating and inhuman experiments in the forcible remaking of the national or ethnic composition of one or another region," Gainutdin said.
"Genocides, refugee camps, forcible changes of an ethnic map are what we're now observing in the Indo-Chinese Region, Myanmar, Middle East, Palestine, and certain African countries. We express solidarity with our brothers and sisters, who were forced from their homes, persecuted, placed in corrective camps on the basis of the principle of collective responsibility," he said.
- Three religious extremists detained in Kazan 20 February 2020, 18:30
- Putin calls to halt any religious discord 20 February 2020, 13:25
- All Russian Orthodox Church parishes in Southeast Asia to pray for riddance of coronavirus 19 February 2020, 18:41
- Court arrests Moscow church attacker 18 February 2020, 19:27
- Investigators file for arrest of suspected assailant of Moscow churchgoers 18 February 2020, 12:18
- Man who attacked people in Moscow church says didn't plan crime, 'got up on wrong side of bed' 17 February 2020, 22:06
- Four members of banned pseudo-religious group convicted in Orenburg Region 17 February 2020, 18:38
- Georgian Church decides not to take part in pan-Orthodox meeting in Jordan 17 February 2020, 18:33
- Romanian Church to agree with granting of tomos to Orthodox Church in Ukraine, provided that Constantinople and Moscow reach consensus - media (updated) 14 February 2020, 21:11
- Karekin II grateful to Syria for recognizing Armenian genocide 14 February 2020, 18:08
- Pan-Orthodox meeting on 'Ukrainian issue' to be held in Amman on Feb 26 (updated) 14 February 2020, 15:08
- No same-sex marriage to be legitimized in Russia as long as I am president - Putin (updated) 13 February 2020, 17:31
- Orthodox leaders to discuss 'Ukrainian issue' in Amman in late Feb (updated) 12 February 2020, 21:28
- CPRF doesn't mind mentioning God in Russian constitution 11 February 2020, 18:30
- Criminal case opened in Transbaikal Territory after searches of residences of suspected Jehovah's Witnesses 10 February 2020, 19:57
- A woman could head the Russian Church synodal department 10 February 2020, 12:34
- Russian Church proposes to designate the special role of Russians in Constitution 10 February 2020, 12:15
- Zelensky invites Pope to visit Ukraine 10 February 2020, 11:58
- Zelensky asks Pope to help with release of Ukrainians in custody in Russia, Donbass 10 February 2020, 11:55
- Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem working as usual, has no info on property handover 05 February 2020, 21:25
- Yakut shaman complains to ECHR 05 February 2020, 18:09
- OCU terminates Filaret's membership in Holy Synod 05 February 2020, 12:27
- Russian Orthodox Church could discontinue practice of blessing WMDs 04 February 2020, 21:05
- Enshrining 'traditional marriage' in constitution at bottom of working group's agenda 04 February 2020, 19:14
- Krasheninnikov against enshrining family, God in constitution 04 February 2020, 18:58
- Pompeo praises Uzbekistan for progress in upholding religious freedom 03 February 2020, 19:17
- Marriage, not family should be defined as union between man and woman in Russian Constitution - Russian Orthodox Church 03 February 2020, 18:04
- Working group to discuss appropriateness of mentioning God in Constitution – Kremlin 03 February 2020, 13:57
- Patriarch Kirill proposes mentioning God in Constitution 02 February 2020, 19:02
- Orthodox society active at Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem still has no info on property transfer to Russia 31 January 2020, 15:14