25 December 2019, 19:46
Leader of Jehovah's Witnesses in Vologda detained in extremist organization probe
Moscow, December 25, Interfax - The Russian Investigative Committee has launched a criminal investigation in relation to the head of the Vologda branch of Jehovah's Witnesses (banned in Russia) and his associate.
"The Russian Investigative Committee's first department for especially important cases in the Vologda Region has opened a criminal case against two Vologda residents on suspicion of a crime under Part 1 of Article 282.2 of the Russian Criminal Code (organizing activities of an extremist organization)," the Investigative Committee told Interfax in a statement on Wednesday.
"In the course of joint operational investigatory activities, officers of the regional department of the Investigative Committee and the anti-extremism center of the Russian Interior Ministry branch in the Vologda Region detained the 45-year-old actual head of the banned religious organization and his 67-year-old accomplice," the statement said.
As part of the operation, investigators held a series of searches in apartments, cars, and garages of the cell's organizers and active members. "As a result of the searches, investigators seized literature, financial documents, and propaganda materials. They have interrogated a range of witnesses and ordered a theological legal investigation," it said.
According to the investigators, the detainees organized "activities of the religious organization Jehovah's Witnesses Vologda, knowing for a fact that this organization had been placed on the banned organization list and a court had issued an effective decision to dissolve the latter and ban its activities."
The suspects began acting intensively in January 2019 toward organizing the said organization's illegal activities, including organizing religious performances and services, distribution of extremist literature, and fundraising activities, the statement said.
"At this point, all circumstances of the crime are being determined. A court has granted the investigation's motion to select custody as a measure of restraint for the organization's head, and house arrest for his accomplice. The investigation of the criminal case is ongoing," it said.
- Three religious extremists detained in Kazan 20 February 2020, 18:30
- Putin calls to halt any religious discord 20 February 2020, 13:25
- All Russian Orthodox Church parishes in Southeast Asia to pray for riddance of coronavirus 19 February 2020, 18:41
- Court arrests Moscow church attacker 18 February 2020, 19:27
- Investigators file for arrest of suspected assailant of Moscow churchgoers 18 February 2020, 12:18
- Man who attacked people in Moscow church says didn't plan crime, 'got up on wrong side of bed' 17 February 2020, 22:06
- Four members of banned pseudo-religious group convicted in Orenburg Region 17 February 2020, 18:38
- Georgian Church decides not to take part in pan-Orthodox meeting in Jordan 17 February 2020, 18:33
- Romanian Church to agree with granting of tomos to Orthodox Church in Ukraine, provided that Constantinople and Moscow reach consensus - media (updated) 14 February 2020, 21:11
- Karekin II grateful to Syria for recognizing Armenian genocide 14 February 2020, 18:08
- Pan-Orthodox meeting on 'Ukrainian issue' to be held in Amman on Feb 26 (updated) 14 February 2020, 15:08
- No same-sex marriage to be legitimized in Russia as long as I am president - Putin (updated) 13 February 2020, 17:31
- Orthodox leaders to discuss 'Ukrainian issue' in Amman in late Feb (updated) 12 February 2020, 21:28
- CPRF doesn't mind mentioning God in Russian constitution 11 February 2020, 18:30
- Criminal case opened in Transbaikal Territory after searches of residences of suspected Jehovah's Witnesses 10 February 2020, 19:57
- A woman could head the Russian Church synodal department 10 February 2020, 12:34
- Russian Church proposes to designate the special role of Russians in Constitution 10 February 2020, 12:15
- Zelensky invites Pope to visit Ukraine 10 February 2020, 11:58
- Zelensky asks Pope to help with release of Ukrainians in custody in Russia, Donbass 10 February 2020, 11:55
- Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem working as usual, has no info on property handover 05 February 2020, 21:25
- Yakut shaman complains to ECHR 05 February 2020, 18:09
- OCU terminates Filaret's membership in Holy Synod 05 February 2020, 12:27
- Russian Orthodox Church could discontinue practice of blessing WMDs 04 February 2020, 21:05
- Enshrining 'traditional marriage' in constitution at bottom of working group's agenda 04 February 2020, 19:14
- Krasheninnikov against enshrining family, God in constitution 04 February 2020, 18:58
- Pompeo praises Uzbekistan for progress in upholding religious freedom 03 February 2020, 19:17
- Marriage, not family should be defined as union between man and woman in Russian Constitution - Russian Orthodox Church 03 February 2020, 18:04
- Working group to discuss appropriateness of mentioning God in Constitution – Kremlin 03 February 2020, 13:57
- Patriarch Kirill proposes mentioning God in Constitution 02 February 2020, 19:02
- Orthodox society active at Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem still has no info on property transfer to Russia 31 January 2020, 15:14