30 December 2019, 11:11
Georgian patriarch, cardinal from Vatican discuss challenges faced by Christian world
Tbilisi, December 30, Interfax - Catholicos-Patriarch Ilia II of All Georgia met with Cardinal Pietro Parolin, State Secretary of the Holy See, who is now on a visit to Tbilisi, on Sunday.
Ilia II and Cardinal Parolin discussed the need to preserve and deepen the relations between the two old churches, the public relations service of the Georgian Patriarchate said.
"The meeting addressed the problems and today's challenges faced by the entire Christian world," the patriarchate said.
Cardinal Parolin said in the meeting that he was passing on greetings to Ilia II from Pope Francis.
The visit is connected to several anniversary dates, the cardinal said.
Among these is the 25th anniversary of the visit to Georgia by Mother Theresa (a Catholic nun, real name Agnes Gonxha Bojaxhiu, who was canonized in 2016), and also the coming 40th anniversary of the visit by Ilia II to Rome, where he met with the Pope.
"That meeting reinforced our historical relations," he said.
The relations between the two churches are especially important amid the challenges that exist today, when "man has almost lost God in the period of secularism," the cardinal said.
Ilia II, for his part, said in the meeting that the relations between Georgia and the Vatican had lasted for many centuries.
In this regard, he said the cardinal's visit was very important and that it symbolized the continuation of these relations.
The Georgian patriarch called his relations with Pope Francis truly brotherly.
Ilia II also said there is a need to strengthen the relations between the two churches.
"We are living at a very difficult time, mankind has come close to the abyss and peered into it. So your visit is extremely important," the Georgian patriarch said.
The Georgian Patriarchate said last week that Pope Francis had invited Ilia II to visit the Vatican in 2020 to celebrate the 40th anniversary of his "historical visit" in 1980.
- Three religious extremists detained in Kazan 20 February 2020, 18:30
- Putin calls to halt any religious discord 20 February 2020, 13:25
- All Russian Orthodox Church parishes in Southeast Asia to pray for riddance of coronavirus 19 February 2020, 18:41
- Court arrests Moscow church attacker 18 February 2020, 19:27
- Investigators file for arrest of suspected assailant of Moscow churchgoers 18 February 2020, 12:18
- Man who attacked people in Moscow church says didn't plan crime, 'got up on wrong side of bed' 17 February 2020, 22:06
- Four members of banned pseudo-religious group convicted in Orenburg Region 17 February 2020, 18:38
- Georgian Church decides not to take part in pan-Orthodox meeting in Jordan 17 February 2020, 18:33
- Romanian Church to agree with granting of tomos to Orthodox Church in Ukraine, provided that Constantinople and Moscow reach consensus - media (updated) 14 February 2020, 21:11
- Karekin II grateful to Syria for recognizing Armenian genocide 14 February 2020, 18:08
- Pan-Orthodox meeting on 'Ukrainian issue' to be held in Amman on Feb 26 (updated) 14 February 2020, 15:08
- No same-sex marriage to be legitimized in Russia as long as I am president - Putin (updated) 13 February 2020, 17:31
- Orthodox leaders to discuss 'Ukrainian issue' in Amman in late Feb (updated) 12 February 2020, 21:28
- CPRF doesn't mind mentioning God in Russian constitution 11 February 2020, 18:30
- Criminal case opened in Transbaikal Territory after searches of residences of suspected Jehovah's Witnesses 10 February 2020, 19:57
- A woman could head the Russian Church synodal department 10 February 2020, 12:34
- Russian Church proposes to designate the special role of Russians in Constitution 10 February 2020, 12:15
- Zelensky invites Pope to visit Ukraine 10 February 2020, 11:58
- Zelensky asks Pope to help with release of Ukrainians in custody in Russia, Donbass 10 February 2020, 11:55
- Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem working as usual, has no info on property handover 05 February 2020, 21:25
- Yakut shaman complains to ECHR 05 February 2020, 18:09
- OCU terminates Filaret's membership in Holy Synod 05 February 2020, 12:27
- Russian Orthodox Church could discontinue practice of blessing WMDs 04 February 2020, 21:05
- Enshrining 'traditional marriage' in constitution at bottom of working group's agenda 04 February 2020, 19:14
- Krasheninnikov against enshrining family, God in constitution 04 February 2020, 18:58
- Pompeo praises Uzbekistan for progress in upholding religious freedom 03 February 2020, 19:17
- Marriage, not family should be defined as union between man and woman in Russian Constitution - Russian Orthodox Church 03 February 2020, 18:04
- Working group to discuss appropriateness of mentioning God in Constitution – Kremlin 03 February 2020, 13:57
- Patriarch Kirill proposes mentioning God in Constitution 02 February 2020, 19:02
- Orthodox society active at Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem still has no info on property transfer to Russia 31 January 2020, 15:14