30 December 2019, 11:11
Georgian patriarch, cardinal from Vatican discuss challenges faced by Christian world
Tbilisi, December 30, Interfax - Catholicos-Patriarch Ilia II of All Georgia met with Cardinal Pietro Parolin, State Secretary of the Holy See, who is now on a visit to Tbilisi, on Sunday.
Ilia II and Cardinal Parolin discussed the need to preserve and deepen the relations between the two old churches, the public relations service of the Georgian Patriarchate said.
"The meeting addressed the problems and today's challenges faced by the entire Christian world," the patriarchate said.
Cardinal Parolin said in the meeting that he was passing on greetings to Ilia II from Pope Francis.
The visit is connected to several anniversary dates, the cardinal said.
Among these is the 25th anniversary of the visit to Georgia by Mother Theresa (a Catholic nun, real name Agnes Gonxha Bojaxhiu, who was canonized in 2016), and also the coming 40th anniversary of the visit by Ilia II to Rome, where he met with the Pope.
"That meeting reinforced our historical relations," he said.
The relations between the two churches are especially important amid the challenges that exist today, when "man has almost lost God in the period of secularism," the cardinal said.
Ilia II, for his part, said in the meeting that the relations between Georgia and the Vatican had lasted for many centuries.
In this regard, he said the cardinal's visit was very important and that it symbolized the continuation of these relations.
The Georgian patriarch called his relations with Pope Francis truly brotherly.
Ilia II also said there is a need to strengthen the relations between the two churches.
"We are living at a very difficult time, mankind has come close to the abyss and peered into it. So your visit is extremely important," the Georgian patriarch said.
The Georgian Patriarchate said last week that Pope Francis had invited Ilia II to visit the Vatican in 2020 to celebrate the 40th anniversary of his "historical visit" in 1980.
- Belarusian Catholics deny info on U.S. interference in religious situation in country 30 September 2020, 12:24
- U.S. trying to play Belarusian Orthodox, Catholics off against each other - Russian foreign intelligence chief 29 September 2020, 16:32
- Patriarch Kirill prays for peaceful settlement of conflict in Karabakh 28 September 2020, 13:25
- Russian prosecutors seeking to shut down Church of Last Testament 25 September 2020, 17:34
- Patriarch awards Lavrov the church order of Glory and Honor 23 September 2020, 18:35
- Followers of Church of the Last Testament gave part of their income to sect every month - source 23 September 2020, 18:29
- Two followers in Vissarion's community developed mental disorders - source 23 September 2020, 18:18
- Court arrests 3 leaders of Krasnoyarsk Church of the Last Testament 23 September 2020, 13:07
- Putin bestows Order for Merit to Fatherland, 1st degree on oldest ruling bishop of Russian Orthodox Church 22 September 2020, 17:38
- Berel Lazar invited to Bahrain 22 September 2020, 13:18
- Russian Church wishes Depardieu to stop on Orthodoxy in his spiritual search 21 September 2020, 15:39
- Forty percent of Russia support Lenin reburial, 1 out of every 5 say his body should stay in Mausoleum - poll 18 September 2020, 20:44
- FJCR head views Hasidic pilgrims attempting to enter Ukraine as 'violence against common sense' 18 September 2020, 18:31
- Zelensky's Rosh Hashanah greeting expresses hope for return to normal rhythm of life next year 18 September 2020, 18:26
- No Hasidic pilgrims left on Belarusian-Ukrainian border 18 September 2020, 18:23
- The FJCR calls a huge breakthrough recognition of Israel in the Arab Emirates and Bahrain 18 September 2020, 16:46
- Case opened against 2 Baltic Fleet servicemen who washed shoes in holy spring in Orthodox chapel 18 September 2020, 16:32
- Hasidic pilgrims initially heading to Uman begin leaving Belarusian-Ukrainian border 18 September 2020, 12:15
- Putin notes Russian Jewish community's role in countering Covid-19, in strengthening peace and accord 18 September 2020, 11:17
- Some 1,000 Hasidic pilgrims expecting permission to enter Ukraine from Belarus 17 September 2020, 15:30
- Minsk accuses Kiev of empty rhetoric, urges it to respect rights of Hasidic pilgrims 17 September 2020, 10:39
- Kiev calls on Belarusian authorities to ensure Hasidic pilgrims adhere to quarantine regulations 16 September 2020, 20:27
- Ukraine urges Belarus to stop raising tensions on border, not to make false statements to Hasidic pilgrims (updated) 16 September 2020, 17:18
- Ukraine closes checkpoint on border with Belarus near which Hasidic pilgrims gathering 16 September 2020, 15:35
- Ukraine unable to let in additional numbers of Hasidic pilgrims due to current situation - Foreign Ministry 16 September 2020, 10:45
- Minsk seeks to agree with Ukraine on green corridor for Hasidic pilgrims 16 September 2020, 10:43
- Pope of Rome to consider possibility of visiting Belarus 16 September 2020, 10:42
- Vatican insists on Archbishop Kondrusiewicz's return to Belarus 16 September 2020, 10:40
- Tents set up for Hasidic pilgrims gathering on Belarus' border with Ukraine 15 September 2020, 20:00
- Archbishop Kondrusiewicz deprived of Belarusian passport, not citizenship 15 September 2020, 18:45