13 January 2020, 10:06
Filaret recalls signature under UOC-KP liquidation
Kiev, January 13, Interfax - The "honorary patriarch" of the new church of Ukraine (UOC), Filaret, has recalled his signature under a resolution by the Kiev Patriarchate's local council, dated December 15, 2018, to liquidate this church.
"This resolution is invoked by Ukrainian Culture Ministry officials who have denied state registration to a resolution by the local council of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the Kiev Patriarchate, dated June 20, 2019, overturning the December 15, 2018 resolution by the so-called local council of the KP-UOC. This led Patriarch Filaret to inform Ukrainian Minister of Culture, Youth, and Sports Vladimir Borodiansky of having recalled his signature under the December 15, 2018 resolution," the KP-UOC stated on its website.
Filaret wrote to Borodiansky that despite numerous attempts to have the June 20 resolution registered, the ministry's state secretary had refused to do so, and the resolution was eventually abolished by another, of June 20, 2019.
"A recall of signature is an acceptable legal act justified by Articles 9 and 13 of the Convention for the Protection of Human Rights and Fundamental Freedoms and Articles 22 and 35 of the Ukrainian Constitution, which make it impossible to worsen the legal position of Ukrainian citizens exercising the right to freedom of conscience in the Kiev Patriarchate," Filaret said.
Over the past few months the patriarch has stated that the KP-UOC continued to exist and he had no intention of complying with the three tomos conditions for the autocephaly of the OCU.
On June 20, a meeting held by Filaret under the title of the local council of the non-canonical Kiev Patriarchate overturned the December 15 resolution, and Filaret himself allowed for the co-existence of the three churches in Ukraine. Should the OCU led by Yepifaniy Dumenko wish to merge with the KP-UOC, no one will object; otherwise, the OCU may exist separately, Filaret said.
The OCU has refused to recognize meetings attended by Filaret at local councils and their resolutions as legally and canonically valid. On June 24, its synod resolved that Filaret remained an OCU bishop but could no longer lead the Kiev diocese.
In December, the OCU synod decided to set up an OCU mission for Filaret. He also has a life-long right to perform religious services at St. Vladimir's Cathedral in Kiev. The council urged Filaret and his entourage to make peace and end the self-imposed isolation.
- Three religious extremists detained in Kazan 20 February 2020, 18:30
- Putin calls to halt any religious discord 20 February 2020, 13:25
- All Russian Orthodox Church parishes in Southeast Asia to pray for riddance of coronavirus 19 February 2020, 18:41
- Court arrests Moscow church attacker 18 February 2020, 19:27
- Investigators file for arrest of suspected assailant of Moscow churchgoers 18 February 2020, 12:18
- Man who attacked people in Moscow church says didn't plan crime, 'got up on wrong side of bed' 17 February 2020, 22:06
- Four members of banned pseudo-religious group convicted in Orenburg Region 17 February 2020, 18:38
- Georgian Church decides not to take part in pan-Orthodox meeting in Jordan 17 February 2020, 18:33
- Romanian Church to agree with granting of tomos to Orthodox Church in Ukraine, provided that Constantinople and Moscow reach consensus - media (updated) 14 February 2020, 21:11
- Karekin II grateful to Syria for recognizing Armenian genocide 14 February 2020, 18:08
- Pan-Orthodox meeting on 'Ukrainian issue' to be held in Amman on Feb 26 (updated) 14 February 2020, 15:08
- No same-sex marriage to be legitimized in Russia as long as I am president - Putin (updated) 13 February 2020, 17:31
- Orthodox leaders to discuss 'Ukrainian issue' in Amman in late Feb (updated) 12 February 2020, 21:28
- CPRF doesn't mind mentioning God in Russian constitution 11 February 2020, 18:30
- Criminal case opened in Transbaikal Territory after searches of residences of suspected Jehovah's Witnesses 10 February 2020, 19:57
- A woman could head the Russian Church synodal department 10 February 2020, 12:34
- Russian Church proposes to designate the special role of Russians in Constitution 10 February 2020, 12:15
- Zelensky invites Pope to visit Ukraine 10 February 2020, 11:58
- Zelensky asks Pope to help with release of Ukrainians in custody in Russia, Donbass 10 February 2020, 11:55
- Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem working as usual, has no info on property handover 05 February 2020, 21:25
- Yakut shaman complains to ECHR 05 February 2020, 18:09
- OCU terminates Filaret's membership in Holy Synod 05 February 2020, 12:27
- Russian Orthodox Church could discontinue practice of blessing WMDs 04 February 2020, 21:05
- Enshrining 'traditional marriage' in constitution at bottom of working group's agenda 04 February 2020, 19:14
- Krasheninnikov against enshrining family, God in constitution 04 February 2020, 18:58
- Pompeo praises Uzbekistan for progress in upholding religious freedom 03 February 2020, 19:17
- Marriage, not family should be defined as union between man and woman in Russian Constitution - Russian Orthodox Church 03 February 2020, 18:04
- Working group to discuss appropriateness of mentioning God in Constitution – Kremlin 03 February 2020, 13:57
- Patriarch Kirill proposes mentioning God in Constitution 02 February 2020, 19:02
- Orthodox society active at Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem still has no info on property transfer to Russia 31 January 2020, 15:14