21 January 2020, 21:33
Russian Church dismisses criticism about seeking to seize leadership of Orthodox world
Moscow, January 21, Interfax - The Moscow Patriarchate has disagreed with accusations that it was denying premiership of to the Church of Constantinople and trying to displace it in the Orthodox world.
"Indeed, there have been accusations recently from the Greek-language church about the Russian Church ostensibly denying the Patriarchate of Constantinople premiership in the Orthodox World and seeking to take its place. However, I have yet to hear a single convincing argument which would prove the fairness of these accusations," Metropolitan Hilarion, head of the Synodal Department for External Church Relations, told Interfax on Tuesday.
The way the Russian Church understands premiership in the Church and whom it recognizes as its holder can be gleaned from a document, approved by the Synod in December 2013, entitled "The position of the Moscow Patriarchate on the question of premiership in the Universal Church," he said.
"It says expressly that after the Great Schism of 1054 the premiership of honor in the Orthodox Church passed to the Patriarch of Constantinople. As a matter of fact, the Russian Church is one of the few local Churches, perhaps the only one, to have recognized Constantinople's premiership not only in words but by a special Synodal document."
The Russian church has never challenged Constantinople's premiership, the issue here is how this should be understood, the metropolitan said.
"The canonical tradition and Orthodox ecclesiology attribute the premiership of honor to the leader of the Roman church after 1054 to the Church of Constantinople. The first primate on the diptych is referred to as 'first among equals.' However, in the past 100 years the Patriarchate of Constantinople has developed a teaching about premiership, effectively emulating the Roman-Catholic model of church structure," Metropolitan Hilarion said.
In his view, this teaching is most vividly presented in an article by Metropolitan Elpidophoros (Lambriniadis), entitled "First Among Equals," which was published on the website of the Patriarchate of Constantinople. It asserts that the Patriarchate of Constantinople possesses exclusive powers which other primates neither have nor may have in principle.
"Of course, the Russian Church rejects such understanding of the 'premiership' of the Constantinople chair as one that does not correspond to the Tradition of the Church nor to the Orthodox ecclesiology. But, unfortunately, it is this understanding of premiership which prevailed in Fener and led to the intrusion in Ukraine. This resulted in our having to cut all communion with the Church of Constantinople," the Russian Orthodox Church representative said.
- All Russian Orthodox Church parishes in Southeast Asia to pray for riddance of coronavirus 19 February 2020, 18:41
- Court arrests Moscow church attacker 18 February 2020, 19:27
- Investigators file for arrest of suspected assailant of Moscow churchgoers 18 February 2020, 12:18
- Man who attacked people in Moscow church says didn't plan crime, 'got up on wrong side of bed' 17 February 2020, 22:06
- Four members of banned pseudo-religious group convicted in Orenburg Region 17 February 2020, 18:38
- Georgian Church decides not to take part in pan-Orthodox meeting in Jordan 17 February 2020, 18:33
- Romanian Church to agree with granting of tomos to Orthodox Church in Ukraine, provided that Constantinople and Moscow reach consensus - media (updated) 14 February 2020, 21:11
- Karekin II grateful to Syria for recognizing Armenian genocide 14 February 2020, 18:08
- Pan-Orthodox meeting on 'Ukrainian issue' to be held in Amman on Feb 26 (updated) 14 February 2020, 15:08
- No same-sex marriage to be legitimized in Russia as long as I am president - Putin (updated) 13 February 2020, 17:31
- Orthodox leaders to discuss 'Ukrainian issue' in Amman in late Feb (updated) 12 February 2020, 21:28
- CPRF doesn't mind mentioning God in Russian constitution 11 February 2020, 18:30
- Criminal case opened in Transbaikal Territory after searches of residences of suspected Jehovah's Witnesses 10 February 2020, 19:57
- A woman could head the Russian Church synodal department 10 February 2020, 12:34
- Russian Church proposes to designate the special role of Russians in Constitution 10 February 2020, 12:15
- Zelensky invites Pope to visit Ukraine 10 February 2020, 11:58
- Zelensky asks Pope to help with release of Ukrainians in custody in Russia, Donbass 10 February 2020, 11:55
- Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem working as usual, has no info on property handover 05 February 2020, 21:25
- Yakut shaman complains to ECHR 05 February 2020, 18:09
- OCU terminates Filaret's membership in Holy Synod 05 February 2020, 12:27
- Russian Orthodox Church could discontinue practice of blessing WMDs 04 February 2020, 21:05
- Enshrining 'traditional marriage' in constitution at bottom of working group's agenda 04 February 2020, 19:14
- Krasheninnikov against enshrining family, God in constitution 04 February 2020, 18:58
- Pompeo praises Uzbekistan for progress in upholding religious freedom 03 February 2020, 19:17
- Marriage, not family should be defined as union between man and woman in Russian Constitution - Russian Orthodox Church 03 February 2020, 18:04
- Working group to discuss appropriateness of mentioning God in Constitution – Kremlin 03 February 2020, 13:57
- Patriarch Kirill proposes mentioning God in Constitution 02 February 2020, 19:02
- Orthodox society active at Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem still has no info on property transfer to Russia 31 January 2020, 15:14
- Activities of Jehovah's Witnesses stopped in Komi 31 January 2020, 15:11
- Federation of Jewish Communities of Russia doing important work preserving truth about war - Putin 29 January 2020, 14:08