23 January 2020, 11:21
World's biggest Orthodox church may be built in Urals
Yekaterinburg, January 23, Interfax - There are plans to build a huge cathedral that can take some 37,000 people on the territory of the Sredneuralsky Cloister, Zhanna Ryabtseva, the head of the executive committee of the All-Russia Popular Front in the Sverdlovsk Region, told Interfax.
The work on the foundation will begin this year, she said.
"There are plans to build a church for 37,000 people, with 12 tables, which will be 77 meters high, on the territory of the Sredneuralsky Cloister. It will be the biggest Orthodox church in the world," Ryabtseva said.
The construction project has no anchor investors and it will be financed "by the people," Ryabtseva said.
The current churches of the cloister do not have enough room for all pilgrims, whose number is increasing, and therefore an idea to build the cathedral of Sofia God's Wisdom appeared 2.5 years ago, she said. A decision on the project and the land site was made in that time. According to Ryabtseva's information, Schema-Archimandrite Iliy (Nozdrin), the confessor of Patriarch Kirill, gave his blessing for the construction in April 2019.
The head of the regional executive committee said the All-Russia Popular Front has nothing to do with the church project. "It's my personal story," Ryabtseva said, adding that the work on the stylobate, the first contour of the church, 108x108 meters, will begin this year.
The press service for the Yekaterinburg Diocese told Interfax they do not have information on the plans to build such a church.
- All Russian Orthodox Church parishes in Southeast Asia to pray for riddance of coronavirus 19 February 2020, 18:41
- Court arrests Moscow church attacker 18 February 2020, 19:27
- Investigators file for arrest of suspected assailant of Moscow churchgoers 18 February 2020, 12:18
- Man who attacked people in Moscow church says didn't plan crime, 'got up on wrong side of bed' 17 February 2020, 22:06
- Four members of banned pseudo-religious group convicted in Orenburg Region 17 February 2020, 18:38
- Georgian Church decides not to take part in pan-Orthodox meeting in Jordan 17 February 2020, 18:33
- Romanian Church to agree with granting of tomos to Orthodox Church in Ukraine, provided that Constantinople and Moscow reach consensus - media (updated) 14 February 2020, 21:11
- Karekin II grateful to Syria for recognizing Armenian genocide 14 February 2020, 18:08
- Pan-Orthodox meeting on 'Ukrainian issue' to be held in Amman on Feb 26 (updated) 14 February 2020, 15:08
- No same-sex marriage to be legitimized in Russia as long as I am president - Putin (updated) 13 February 2020, 17:31
- Orthodox leaders to discuss 'Ukrainian issue' in Amman in late Feb (updated) 12 February 2020, 21:28
- CPRF doesn't mind mentioning God in Russian constitution 11 February 2020, 18:30
- Criminal case opened in Transbaikal Territory after searches of residences of suspected Jehovah's Witnesses 10 February 2020, 19:57
- A woman could head the Russian Church synodal department 10 February 2020, 12:34
- Russian Church proposes to designate the special role of Russians in Constitution 10 February 2020, 12:15
- Zelensky invites Pope to visit Ukraine 10 February 2020, 11:58
- Zelensky asks Pope to help with release of Ukrainians in custody in Russia, Donbass 10 February 2020, 11:55
- Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem working as usual, has no info on property handover 05 February 2020, 21:25
- Yakut shaman complains to ECHR 05 February 2020, 18:09
- OCU terminates Filaret's membership in Holy Synod 05 February 2020, 12:27
- Russian Orthodox Church could discontinue practice of blessing WMDs 04 February 2020, 21:05
- Enshrining 'traditional marriage' in constitution at bottom of working group's agenda 04 February 2020, 19:14
- Krasheninnikov against enshrining family, God in constitution 04 February 2020, 18:58
- Pompeo praises Uzbekistan for progress in upholding religious freedom 03 February 2020, 19:17
- Marriage, not family should be defined as union between man and woman in Russian Constitution - Russian Orthodox Church 03 February 2020, 18:04
- Working group to discuss appropriateness of mentioning God in Constitution – Kremlin 03 February 2020, 13:57
- Patriarch Kirill proposes mentioning God in Constitution 02 February 2020, 19:02
- Orthodox society active at Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem still has no info on property transfer to Russia 31 January 2020, 15:14
- Activities of Jehovah's Witnesses stopped in Komi 31 January 2020, 15:11
- Federation of Jewish Communities of Russia doing important work preserving truth about war - Putin 29 January 2020, 14:08