24 January 2020, 19:54
FJCR hopes Marshal Konev monument in Prague won't be demolished
Moscow, January 24, Interfax - Federation of Jewish Communities of Russia (FJCR) President Alexander Boroda has expressed hope that the Czech Republic will abandon plans to demolish a monument to Marshal Ivan Konev in Prague, bearing in mind that liberation from fascism was one of the happiest events in the history of Czechoslovakia.
"It's a painful situation when two completely different things are mixed together, the liberation of an entire country from fascist occupation and one event or another linked to the Soviet past of Czechoslovakia," Boroda said at a press conference in Moscow on Friday.
The local council of one of the districts in Prague earlier made a decision to demolish the Konev monument for his alleged leadership of the "occupation" of Czechoslovakia in 1968. The Russian Foreign Ministry protested these plans, reminding local authorities that Konev had nothing to do with the invasion of Czechoslovakia by Warsaw Pact forces in 1968, but their stance remained unchanged.
Boroda said he believes the decision to demolish the statue of the Soviet marshal will still be revised. "Czechoslovakia suffered from Nazism more than enough to quit trying anymore to forget who saved it from fascism, and Marshal Konev headed the army that liberated Czechoslovakia from the fascist plague, and it's an action that stands on its own, which deserves praise and gratitude. Hundreds of thousands of soldiers died for the liberation of Czechoslovakia, Russian, Soviet soldiers," he said.
"I really hope that the Marshal Konev monument won't be dismantled, for the simple reason that the Czech Republic won't view liberation from fascism as something bad that happened in its history. It's a bright spot, it's undoubtedly one of the happiest events in the history of both the country and the people, and it shouldn't be challenged. Konev brought good, light, and joy, and that's how it should be viewed," Boroda said, adding that Konev also oversaw the liberation of Auschwitz.
- All Russian Orthodox Church parishes in Southeast Asia to pray for riddance of coronavirus 19 February 2020, 18:41
- Court arrests Moscow church attacker 18 February 2020, 19:27
- Investigators file for arrest of suspected assailant of Moscow churchgoers 18 February 2020, 12:18
- Man who attacked people in Moscow church says didn't plan crime, 'got up on wrong side of bed' 17 February 2020, 22:06
- Four members of banned pseudo-religious group convicted in Orenburg Region 17 February 2020, 18:38
- Georgian Church decides not to take part in pan-Orthodox meeting in Jordan 17 February 2020, 18:33
- Romanian Church to agree with granting of tomos to Orthodox Church in Ukraine, provided that Constantinople and Moscow reach consensus - media (updated) 14 February 2020, 21:11
- Karekin II grateful to Syria for recognizing Armenian genocide 14 February 2020, 18:08
- Pan-Orthodox meeting on 'Ukrainian issue' to be held in Amman on Feb 26 (updated) 14 February 2020, 15:08
- No same-sex marriage to be legitimized in Russia as long as I am president - Putin (updated) 13 February 2020, 17:31
- Orthodox leaders to discuss 'Ukrainian issue' in Amman in late Feb (updated) 12 February 2020, 21:28
- CPRF doesn't mind mentioning God in Russian constitution 11 February 2020, 18:30
- Criminal case opened in Transbaikal Territory after searches of residences of suspected Jehovah's Witnesses 10 February 2020, 19:57
- A woman could head the Russian Church synodal department 10 February 2020, 12:34
- Russian Church proposes to designate the special role of Russians in Constitution 10 February 2020, 12:15
- Zelensky invites Pope to visit Ukraine 10 February 2020, 11:58
- Zelensky asks Pope to help with release of Ukrainians in custody in Russia, Donbass 10 February 2020, 11:55
- Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem working as usual, has no info on property handover 05 February 2020, 21:25
- Yakut shaman complains to ECHR 05 February 2020, 18:09
- OCU terminates Filaret's membership in Holy Synod 05 February 2020, 12:27
- Russian Orthodox Church could discontinue practice of blessing WMDs 04 February 2020, 21:05
- Enshrining 'traditional marriage' in constitution at bottom of working group's agenda 04 February 2020, 19:14
- Krasheninnikov against enshrining family, God in constitution 04 February 2020, 18:58
- Pompeo praises Uzbekistan for progress in upholding religious freedom 03 February 2020, 19:17
- Marriage, not family should be defined as union between man and woman in Russian Constitution - Russian Orthodox Church 03 February 2020, 18:04
- Working group to discuss appropriateness of mentioning God in Constitution – Kremlin 03 February 2020, 13:57
- Patriarch Kirill proposes mentioning God in Constitution 02 February 2020, 19:02
- Orthodox society active at Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem still has no info on property transfer to Russia 31 January 2020, 15:14
- Activities of Jehovah's Witnesses stopped in Komi 31 January 2020, 15:11
- Federation of Jewish Communities of Russia doing important work preserving truth about war - Putin 29 January 2020, 14:08