27 January 2020, 12:03
Court bans leader of Murmansk Jehovah's Witnesses from talking to fellow members, using Internet
Murmansk, January 27, Interfax - The Murmansk Oktyabrsky District Court has imposed restrictions on the leader of the Jehovah's Witnesses - Tsentralnaya, Murmansk (the Jehovah's Witnesses is a religious organization which is banned in Russia), the court press service said.
The Murmansk resident is implicated in a criminal case involving organization of the activities of a religious organization on which there is a court ruling in legal force for its closure due to extremist activities.
The court said the leader of Murmansk's Jehovah's Witnesses branch disagrees with the investigators and insists that "the Supreme Court ruling prohibits a specific organization, not religious services."
The court has banned the man from taking specific actions. The court said the man is prohibited from talking to specific persons and using communication devices and the Internet.
The Polyarny District Court of the Murmansk region earlier convicted two local residents who continued their activities after the court had ruled that the extremist association the Jehovah's Witnesses be closed. They were fined 350,000 rubles and 300,000 rubles.
According to earlier reports, the head of the prohibited local religious organization Jehovah's Witnesses - Tsentralnaya, Murmansk was detained in Murmansk on January 22, 2020.
The Investigative Committee said the 40-year-old man had been detained in connection with an investigation into an earlier opened criminal case involving the organization of the activities of a religious organization on which there is a court ruling in legal force for its closure due to extremist activities.
In December 2019, officials from the Investigative Committee and Federal Security Service directorates stopped the activities of the Jehovah's Witnesses in Murmansk.
Searches were conducted simultaneously at five addresses in Murmansk "to seize documents and objects relevant to the criminal case, as well as to identify persons involved in illegal activities," the Investigative Committee said.
- Patriarch Kirill urges believers to sturdily face all "temporary difficulties" 03 April 2020, 18:07
- Patriarch Kirill going around Moscow with icon to rid people of coronavirus 03 April 2020, 17:47
- Almost all members of the Moscow Jewish Community recovered from Covid-19 03 April 2020, 17:10
- Russian Orthodox Church considers untimely forecasts about the form of Easter celebrations 03 April 2020, 16:43
- Heads of Jewish communities around the world urge to exchange words of support on the eve of Pesach 03 April 2020, 14:00
- One more Russian Orthodox metropolitan carries out air procession with cross against coronavirus 02 April 2020, 17:34
- Head of the Byelorussian Orthodox Church to fly along the country’s borders with relics and prayers to stop coronavirus 02 April 2020, 17:32
- About 20 members of Jewish community of Russia hospitalized with coronavirus suspected 02 April 2020, 16:05
- Moscow rabbi recovers from coronavirus 01 April 2020, 17:09
- Patriarch to go around Moscow with icon of Our Lady to rid people of coronavirus 01 April 2020, 13:24
- Patriarch Kirill calls on believers to refrain from visiting churches amid coronavirus pandemic 29 March 2020, 20:09
- Opera singer Svetlana Kasyan hospitalized with coronavirus 28 March 2020, 18:10
- Patriarch Kirill prays for the end of pandemic 28 March 2020, 17:58
- The Federation of Jewish Communities of Russia will give Pesach food sets to all parishioners 28 March 2020, 17:55
- Case of leader of Aum Shinrikyo group in Russia sent to prosecutor 26 March 2020, 19:27
- Belarusian Orthodox Church doesn't plan to cancel Easter processions 26 March 2020, 16:25
- Russian Orthodox Church shows understanding of Sobyanin's advice not to attend service but says churches will stay open 26 March 2020, 15:08
- Sobyanin asks Muscovites not to visit religious sites 26 March 2020, 10:49
- Ukrainian monasteries will assign premises for Covid-19 patients 25 March 2020, 19:24
- FJCR closes all its synagogues in Russia 25 March 2020, 15:49
- Monastery south of Moscow thrown away dozens of dogs, police was told they miraculously flew away 24 March 2020, 17:40
- Lukashenko on coronavirus: If we get through until Orthodox Easter, we'll live 24 March 2020, 14:40
- Kyrgyz missionary contracts Covid-19 in Pakistan - Kyrgyz Foreign Ministry 23 March 2020, 14:40
- Georgian churches to let in max. 10 people in state of emergency - premier 23 March 2020, 12:29
- Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia's council postponed due to coronavirus 20 March 2020, 19:52
- Rabbi beaten to death in Dagestan 20 March 2020, 19:12
- Friday prayers cancelled in Moscow's mosques 20 March 2020, 13:33
- Tajikistan lifts ban on joint prayers in mosques 19 March 2020, 19:02
- Russian Orthodox Church does not exclude usage of plastic spoons for Communion 18 March 2020, 16:43
- Chief rabbi of Russia closes his synagogue 18 March 2020, 14:12