17 February 2020, 22:06
Man who attacked people in Moscow church says didn't plan crime, 'got up on wrong side of bed'
Moscow, February 17, Interfax - A man who wounded two people in a Moscow church on Sunday did not choose the crime scene in advance, the detainee said in a video of his questioning published on the website of the Russian Interior Ministry on Monday.
"I had gotten up on the wrong side of bed. I woke up and I was feeling [....] not very joyful. I didn't choose the church, I walked into one that was nearby," the man said.
The man said he had not made any preparations for the crime. He said he had bought the knife seized from the crime scene in December 2019 and had found the gloves "on the go."
The detainee said he lives in a hostel near the Partizanskaya metro station and had been going to work on the day the crime was committed.
The man said he had drunk beer the day before and sometimes uses narcotics. "I use marijuana sometimes," he said.
The man could not say whether he considered himself sane. "Maybe there's something up with my mind, I don't know. I'm not a doctor," he said.
Russian Interior Ministry spokesperson Irina Volk told Interfax on Sunday that a criminal case had been opened based on the attack on citizens in a church in the Bakuninskaya Street against a man born in 1993 based on the articles dealing with hooliganism and battery.
According to earlier reports, the man entered the altar of the Church of Nicholas the Wonderworker and stabbed two men. People in the church prevented the man from escaping.
The police who arrived at the scene detained the suspect, a 26-year-old resident of Lipetsk, who had no criminal record. A knife, gloves, and a package containing a plant-based substance were seized from him. Tests showed that the substance was marijuana.
The criminal case is being investigated by officials from the Investigative Unit of the Investigative Directorate of the interior affairs department for the Central Administrative District of the Interior Ministry's Main Directorate for Moscow, Volk said.
"Investigative actions are being carried out and operational search activities are being conducted. The man has been detained in accordance with Article 91 of the Russian Code of Criminal Procedure. The investigators plan to file a motion with a court for him to be taken into custody," she said.
- Patriarch Kirill diagnosed with Covid-19 30 September 2022, 12:41
- State Duma Council to consider consultations on possible reintroduction of death penalty 27 September 2022, 20:44
- Patriarch Kirill calls for spiritual mobilization 27 September 2022, 15:34
- Russia's FSB reports detention a Muslim recruter in Moscow area 27 September 2022, 11:58
- Russian Church warns the West against "slipping into a bestial state" 23 September 2022, 12:11
- Patriarch Kirill declares the futility of attempts to intimidate the Russians 19 September 2022, 14:04
- Religious leaders call for ending conflicts, bloodshed in the world at congress in Nur-Sultan 15 September 2022, 14:49
- Some 10,000 believers attending papal mass in Kazakh capital 14 September 2022, 17:16
- Russian Supreme Court brands as terrorist, bans Islamic Renaissance Party of Tajikistan 14 September 2022, 11:42
- Pontiff urges religious leaders to help settle conflicts through dialogue 14 September 2022, 11:41
- Patriarch Kirill: attempts to build world order without relying on moral values led to fierce confrontation 14 September 2022, 11:40
- Bishop Nicholas of Manhattan elected new First Hierarch of Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia 13 September 2022, 20:42
- Catholicos of All Armenians urges world to react to Azerbaijan's actions 13 September 2022, 15:42
- Pope Francis arrives in Kazakhstan's capital 13 September 2022, 15:38
- Russian State Duma may hold hearings on LGBT propaganda ban in Oct-Nov 13 September 2022, 14:50
- Latvian Orthodox Church chooses not to argue with govt about its status 12 September 2022, 10:30
- Patriarch Kirill calls Elizabeth II symbol of sustainability of centuries-old traditions for entire Europe 09 September 2022, 13:02
- Russian Orthodox Church on declaration of Latvian Church's autocephaly by parliament: they surpassed Middle Ages 08 September 2022, 21:45
- Latvian Saeima endorses law on independence of Latvian Orthodox Church 08 September 2022, 19:06
- WCC refuses to accuse Russian Orthodox Church despite pressure 08 September 2022, 17:03
- Court in Primorye overrules order committing Yakutia shaman Gabyshev to hospital 08 September 2022, 10:31
- Russian ombudsman calls for moratorium on death penalty in DPR 07 September 2022, 14:42
- Patriarch Kirill highlights Russia's special role in modern history 06 September 2022, 17:35
- Riga seeking independence of Latvian Orthodox Church from Moscow Patriarchate (updated) 05 September 2022, 17:44
- Russian Orthodox Church outraged by interference of Latvian secular authorities in church affairs 05 September 2022, 15:32
- World Council of Churches refuses to isolate Russian Orthodox Church delegation at its assembly 01 September 2022, 21:32
- Russian Orthodox Church accuses German president of putting pressure on World Council of Churches 01 September 2022, 14:23
- Russian Orthodox Church views Kyiv's sanctions on Patriarch Kirill as PR campaign 31 August 2022, 17:25
- Fines for LGBT propaganda to be from 50,000 to 200,000 rubles for citizens, foreigners may be deported from Russia 31 August 2022, 16:42
- Ukrainian govt approves proposed sanctions against Patriarch Kirill 31 August 2022, 09:56