25 February 2020, 23:04
Inter-Orthodox meeting on Ukraine in Amman to be attended by 4 out of 15 Church leaders
Amman, February 25, Interfax - A meeting of Christian Orthodox Church leaders and representatives to discuss the situation around the new church of Ukraine (OCU) will be held in Amman on Wednesday.
Only four local Churches, out of the total 15, will be represented by their heads: Patriarch Theophilos of Jerusalem, whose idea it was to hold the meeting; Patriarch Kirill of Moscow; Patriarch Irinej of Serbia; and Metropolitan Rastislav of the Czech Lands and Slovakia.
The Polish and Romanian Churches will delegate their archbishops. Patriarch Bartholomew of Constantinople declined to attend, claiming he had the sole power to call such meetings. Others followed suit, including the Greek Churches of Hellas, Alexandria, and Albania, and the Antioch Patriarchate of Georgia, Bulgarian, and Cyprus Churches.
The meeting will be held behind closed doors. The patriarch of Jerusalem blessed only the Jordanian state broadcaster to cover the event. On Tuesday, two groups of Russian journalists were asked to leave the grounds of the Fairmont Hotel, which will be providing both the accommodation for the attendees and will also be used as venue on February 26. Attempts by Russian reporters to film from the rooftop of a nearby building were foiled by police.
The first part of meeting, expected to begin after a morning prayer and last for three hours, will be followed a three-hour audience with King Abdullah II, after which a second, evening part will begin, where the Churches are to formulate a joint position on the Ukrainian issue.
In December 2018, the Patriarchate of Constantinople, backed by the then government of Ukraine, set up a new church in the country. The Russian Orthodox Church responded by cutting off relations. For many months, the non-canonical church was recognized only by Constantinople. However, last fall, recognition came from the head and part of the episcopate of the Greek Church, followed by that from the Patriarch of Alexandria who ministers to Orthodox communities in Africa.
- Patriarch Kirill diagnosed with Covid-19 30 September 2022, 12:41
- State Duma Council to consider consultations on possible reintroduction of death penalty 27 September 2022, 20:44
- Patriarch Kirill calls for spiritual mobilization 27 September 2022, 15:34
- Russia's FSB reports detention a Muslim recruter in Moscow area 27 September 2022, 11:58
- Russian Church warns the West against "slipping into a bestial state" 23 September 2022, 12:11
- Patriarch Kirill declares the futility of attempts to intimidate the Russians 19 September 2022, 14:04
- Religious leaders call for ending conflicts, bloodshed in the world at congress in Nur-Sultan 15 September 2022, 14:49
- Some 10,000 believers attending papal mass in Kazakh capital 14 September 2022, 17:16
- Russian Supreme Court brands as terrorist, bans Islamic Renaissance Party of Tajikistan 14 September 2022, 11:42
- Pontiff urges religious leaders to help settle conflicts through dialogue 14 September 2022, 11:41
- Patriarch Kirill: attempts to build world order without relying on moral values led to fierce confrontation 14 September 2022, 11:40
- Bishop Nicholas of Manhattan elected new First Hierarch of Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia 13 September 2022, 20:42
- Catholicos of All Armenians urges world to react to Azerbaijan's actions 13 September 2022, 15:42
- Pope Francis arrives in Kazakhstan's capital 13 September 2022, 15:38
- Russian State Duma may hold hearings on LGBT propaganda ban in Oct-Nov 13 September 2022, 14:50
- Latvian Orthodox Church chooses not to argue with govt about its status 12 September 2022, 10:30
- Patriarch Kirill calls Elizabeth II symbol of sustainability of centuries-old traditions for entire Europe 09 September 2022, 13:02
- Russian Orthodox Church on declaration of Latvian Church's autocephaly by parliament: they surpassed Middle Ages 08 September 2022, 21:45
- Latvian Saeima endorses law on independence of Latvian Orthodox Church 08 September 2022, 19:06
- WCC refuses to accuse Russian Orthodox Church despite pressure 08 September 2022, 17:03
- Court in Primorye overrules order committing Yakutia shaman Gabyshev to hospital 08 September 2022, 10:31
- Russian ombudsman calls for moratorium on death penalty in DPR 07 September 2022, 14:42
- Patriarch Kirill highlights Russia's special role in modern history 06 September 2022, 17:35
- Riga seeking independence of Latvian Orthodox Church from Moscow Patriarchate (updated) 05 September 2022, 17:44
- Russian Orthodox Church outraged by interference of Latvian secular authorities in church affairs 05 September 2022, 15:32
- World Council of Churches refuses to isolate Russian Orthodox Church delegation at its assembly 01 September 2022, 21:32
- Russian Orthodox Church accuses German president of putting pressure on World Council of Churches 01 September 2022, 14:23
- Russian Orthodox Church views Kyiv's sanctions on Patriarch Kirill as PR campaign 31 August 2022, 17:25
- Fines for LGBT propaganda to be from 50,000 to 200,000 rubles for citizens, foreigners may be deported from Russia 31 August 2022, 16:42
- Ukrainian govt approves proposed sanctions against Patriarch Kirill 31 August 2022, 09:56