20 March 2020, 13:33
Friday prayers cancelled in Moscow's mosques
Moscow, March 20, Interfax - The Ulama Council of the Spiritual Muslim Board of Russia has cancelled collective and Friday prayers in all mosques and places of worship in light of the threat of coronavirus.
"If the categorical demand to attend Friday prayers is lifted due to worsening climate conditions making it difficult to attend mosque, then this rule is also applicable to the case of the spread of rare and unstudied diseases," the Ulama Council said in its theological conclusion circulated in Moscow on Thursday.
Religious scholars also cited the Prophet Muhammad, who said, "Do not harm yourself, and do not harm others."
In this light, the muftiate suggested that Muslims perform the Friday prayer online and organized a broadcast of the Friday sermon and prayer from the Moscow Cathedral Mosque.
The Muslim Spiritual Directorate told Interfax that "these measures may be extended depending on the epidemiologic situation."
- Patriarch Kirill invited to Kazakhstan to Congress of Leaders of World and Traditional Religions 26 November 2021, 16:18
- Some "missionaries" of an extremist organization banned in the Russia convicted in Saratov 26 November 2021, 16:14
- The head of Belarusian Orthodox Church urged to treat migrants as "aliens" 24 November 2021, 15:39
- Rabbi Lazar concerned that the pandemic sometimes considered a Jewish conspiracy 24 November 2021, 15:33
- Patriarch Kirill describes ecclesiastical split in Ukraine as his personal woe 22 November 2021, 19:33
- Covid-19 pandemic won't last long, but will allow humanity to critically assess its capabilities - Patriarch Kirill 22 November 2021, 16:52
- Patriarch Kirill views Russia as leader of free world 22 November 2021, 16:35
- Russian Orthodox Church denies U.S. claims of violations of religious freedom in Russia 22 November 2021, 11:05
- Problem of church schism in Ukraine may be resolved through dialogue - Patriarch Kirill 22 November 2021, 11:02
- Putin bestows Order of St. Andrew on Patriarch Kirill, notes highest regard to him in Russia, abroad 22 November 2021, 10:54
- Jehovah's Witnesses elders detained in Russia's Astrakhan Region 18 November 2021, 16:45
- Court in Moscow fines Muz-TV 1 mln rubles for propaganda of homosexuality among minors 17 November 2021, 15:40
- Website of Side by Side festival blocked for forming positive attitude toward LGBT content 17 November 2021, 15:38
- Imam and one more person killed in Dagestani village shooting 12 November 2021, 20:25
- Prosecution service detects justification of terrorism, extremism in materials of Memorial human rights center 12 November 2021, 17:59
- Cell of Nurjular extremist organization, banned in Russia, shut down in Tatarstan 12 November 2021, 17:09
- The Russian synagogues didn't turn off the lights until morning In memory of the Kristallnacht 10 November 2021, 10:14
- Russian PM satisfied with Pope's attitude to Moscow's views on int'l issues 09 November 2021, 21:55
- MP does not rule out eventual genomic registration of all Russians 04 November 2021, 10:29
- Russian Church warns against turning vaccination into factor of national division 02 November 2021, 19:55
- FJCR president calls for imposing restrictions on those who don't want to get vaccinated 02 November 2021, 16:00
- Russian Orthodox Church calls on G20 countries to drop differences over pandemic challenges 01 November 2021, 12:35
- The court of St. Petersburg refused to punish the participant of a candid photo shoot against the background of St. Isaac's Cathedral 01 November 2021, 11:04
- FJCR president estimates number of Russian Jews at 1 mln 29 October 2021, 10:45
- Operation of All-Tatar Public Center suspended in Russia due to extremist activities 28 October 2021, 18:19
- Lavrov, Vatican official to hold talks in Moscow on Nov 9 28 October 2021, 16:43
- Searches carried out in Yekaterinburg in defrocked priest inquiry 28 October 2021, 10:00
- Patrushev demands spread of radical ideology be prevented among foreign migrant workers 27 October 2021, 18:30
- Lawyer appeals court ban of Male State 26 October 2021, 16:55
- Lukashenko said it would be un-Christian to refuse to sell electricity to Lithuania and Ukraine 26 October 2021, 15:26