20 March 2020, 19:12
Rabbi beaten to death in Dagestan
Makhachkala, March 20, Interfax - Police in Dagestan have arrested a man suspected of beating a pensioner who later died from injuries in hospital, the republic's Interior Ministry said.
"The incident took place in the town of Buinaksk. On March 13 a 34-year-old man beat up a 66-year-old local resident. The latter was hospitalized in coma at the intensive care unit of a city hospital where he died several days later," a spokesperson told Interfax on Friday.
The suspect was apprehended shortly after the incident and charged with "intentional infliction of grievous bodily harm," the spokesman said. "Because of the victim's death, the charge will be re-classified."
An informed source said that the victim was a rabbi from a Buinaksk synagogue, a member of the local Jewish community.
"His name is Izgiyagu Pashayev. The arrested suspect is Artur Abdulayev. Pashayev put up a woman who had nowhere to live. She turned out to be a sister of Abdulayev's who then cruelly beat up the theologian," the source said.
- Kremlin expects Israel to remain committed to decision on Alexander Metochion's handover 09 April 2020, 18:45
- Russian Muslim board allows burying coronavirus victims without ablution 09 April 2020, 15:03
- Russian clergy drive through New York with the cross against coronavirus 09 April 2020, 13:36
- Opera singer Svetlana Kasyan recovered from coronavirus and plans a charity concert in Moscow cathedral 09 April 2020, 12:27
- Putin congratulates Jews on Pesach 09 April 2020, 11:58
- Russia to seek return of Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem in court - Stepashin 08 April 2020, 18:48
- The unemployed man detained in St. Petersburg for making inscription about coronavirus on a church wall 08 April 2020, 15:16
- About 80,000 Jewish families in Russia received a set of Kosher food on Pesach 08 April 2020, 14:53
- Patriach Kirill urges to consider the pandemic a chance to change for the better 08 April 2020, 11:11
- About 80 tons of matzo were delivered free for Pesach in Russia 06 April 2020, 19:35
- Four Moscow clergymen diagnosed with coronavirus, 4 suspected of having it - patriarchate 06 April 2020, 19:13
- Oldest synagogue in Russia celebrates its 140th anniversary 06 April 2020, 17:40
- Clerics hold air processions with cross against coronavirus above Volgograd and Kuzbass 06 April 2020, 15:14
- Patriarch Kirill urges believers to sturdily face all "temporary difficulties" 03 April 2020, 18:07
- Patriarch Kirill going around Moscow with icon to rid people of coronavirus 03 April 2020, 17:47
- Almost all members of the Moscow Jewish Community recovered from Covid-19 03 April 2020, 17:10
- Russian Orthodox Church considers untimely forecasts about the form of Easter celebrations 03 April 2020, 16:43
- Heads of Jewish communities around the world urge to exchange words of support on the eve of Pesach 03 April 2020, 14:00
- One more Russian Orthodox metropolitan carries out air procession with cross against coronavirus 02 April 2020, 17:34
- Head of the Byelorussian Orthodox Church to fly along the country’s borders with relics and prayers to stop coronavirus 02 April 2020, 17:32
- About 20 members of Jewish community of Russia hospitalized with coronavirus suspected 02 April 2020, 16:05
- Moscow rabbi recovers from coronavirus 01 April 2020, 17:09
- Patriarch to go around Moscow with icon of Our Lady to rid people of coronavirus 01 April 2020, 13:24
- Patriarch Kirill calls on believers to refrain from visiting churches amid coronavirus pandemic 29 March 2020, 20:09
- Opera singer Svetlana Kasyan hospitalized with coronavirus 28 March 2020, 18:10
- Patriarch Kirill prays for the end of pandemic 28 March 2020, 17:58
- The Federation of Jewish Communities of Russia will give Pesach food sets to all parishioners 28 March 2020, 17:55
- Case of leader of Aum Shinrikyo group in Russia sent to prosecutor 26 March 2020, 19:27
- Belarusian Orthodox Church doesn't plan to cancel Easter processions 26 March 2020, 16:25
- Russian Orthodox Church shows understanding of Sobyanin's advice not to attend service but says churches will stay open 26 March 2020, 15:08