07 May 2020, 12:31
Police open criminal case into deaths of dogs from nunnery shelter near Tula
Tula, May 7, Interfax - The police have opened a criminal case over the killings of six dogs from the St. Kazan Nunnery in the village of Kolyupanovo in the Tula Region of Russia, a representative of the regional police department told Interfax.
"The criminal case was opened under Article 245 of the Criminal Code (animal abuse)," the representative said.
A March 16 incident at the nunnery triggered a public outcry in the mass media and on social networks. According to volunteers, local priest Andrey Dyomin ousted some dogs which had been living at the nunnery for years. The volunteers were told that the dogs were placed in good hands via shelters, and the police were told that "it was a miracle, and the dogs flew away." The dogs were later sighted in local forests and fields in a radius of 30-40 kilometers. Six dogs were found dead.
The police carried out an inquiry into the removal of the dogs from the nunnery's premises, but found no formal elements of a crime. According to the police, the dogs ran away after their cages were left unlocked. The volunteers disagreed and said, citing representatives of the parish, that the dogs were taken away on Dyomin's orders, and their ousting was paid for (there is a video of the meeting posted online).
The Aleksin inter-district prosecutor said the police refusal to open a criminal case was unlawful and unfounded and ordered an additional inquiry. Interfax has a copy of the prosecutor's order.
A total of 25 dogs have been found alive. All of these dogs were left on the nunnery's doorstep as puppies, and the mother superior took them in and raised them. The mother superior has been unwell and practically relieved of her duties in recent months.
VITA Animal Rights Center President Irina Novozhilova appealed to the Prosecutor General's Office and the head of the Russian Investigative Committee to investigate the deaths of the nunnery dogs and punish the culprits.
- Russians become more loyal to marriages with non-Christians 08 July 2020, 12:14
- Disgraced Father Sergy planning to hold his own religious procession in Ural region on Royal Days 07 July 2020, 18:49
- Six Muslims detained in Crimea on suspicion of involvement in Hizb ut-Tahrir 07 July 2020, 16:09
- Kremlin not following situation surrounding rebellious Urals cleric Sergy - Peskov 07 July 2020, 14:55
- Court in Sverdlovsk Region fines ex-priest Sergy 90,000 rubles for spreading false information 07 July 2020, 13:52
- Hagia Sophia in Istanbul should remain symbol of interfaith accord - State Duma 07 July 2020, 10:19
- Yekaterinburg metropolitan rebukes rebellious monk Sergy for glorifying Stalin 07 July 2020, 10:17
- Patriarch Kirill calls for preserving Hagia Sophia's museum status (updated) 06 July 2020, 15:43
- Kremlin hopes Hagia Sophia's global significance, sacred value to be accounted for in determining its status in Turkey 06 July 2020, 14:03
- Russian Foreign Ministry hopes global significance of Hagia Sophia will be taken into account when determining its status 06 July 2020, 12:48
- Russian Orthodox Church calls Hagia Sophia's transformation into mosque inadmissible 06 July 2020, 10:20
- Putin states need for public monitoring of LGBT propaganda 03 July 2020, 18:27
- Metropolitan Hilarion: Hagia Sophia is heritage of entire mankind 03 July 2020, 18:25
- Russia hasn't restricted, won't restrict rights based on race, sexual orientation - Putin 03 July 2020, 17:51
- Putin comments on LGBT flag flying over U.S. embassy building in Moscow 03 July 2020, 17:46
- Church court defrocks Urals Schema-Hegumen Sergy, who cursed people who closed churches 03 July 2020, 13:09
- All members of the Jewish community in Moscow recovered from coronavirus 03 July 2020, 12:40
- Mufti Tajuddin proposes making Hagia Sophia common prayer-house for Muslims and Christians 03 July 2020, 10:09
- Duma's Tolstoy sees demonstration of LGBT flags on embassy buildings in Moscow as attempt to influence voting on constitutional amendments 02 July 2020, 12:39
- The FJCR president believes other countries to appreciate the importance of amendment about marriage as a union between a man and a woman 02 July 2020, 12:36
- Famous Transfiguration church in Kizhi to resume services after 40 years 30 June 2020, 18:04
- Filaret demands another tomos from Patriarch Bartholomew 29 June 2020, 20:59
- Russian Orthodox Church sees Ural priest's calls against participation in amendments vote as "tragicomic' 29 June 2020, 18:08
- Church court again makes no decision on behavior of Urals priest who cursed people who closed churches 29 June 2020, 10:05
- Russian Jews urges American demonstrators to peaceful dialogue 29 June 2020, 10:00
- Forced treatment of shaman Gabyshev is illegal - Memorial 25 June 2020, 21:17
- Kremlin hopes rainbow flag on U.S. embassy in Moscow drew attention of Russian Foreign Ministry 25 June 2020, 14:54
- Kusturica called Russia's chief military church personification of power, talent and faith 25 June 2020, 12:55
- Jews will never forget heroism of the Soviet Army that stopped Holocaust - FJCR president 25 June 2020, 10:08
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church Metropolitan Sofrony dies 23 June 2020, 20:12