15 May 2020, 12:22
Life has become a priority first time in Russian history during Covid-19 pandemic - Jewish leader
Moscow, May 15, Interfax - Human life is placed above other interests first time in Russian history as the coronavirus pandemic develops, president of the Federation of Jewish Communities of Russia Alexander Boroda says.
"Life is a priority, it's not a question for discussions. People's lives are the most valuable thing. For the first time in the history of Russia, human lives have become a priority. I think it's a good sign. Certainly, if you ask me what is more valuable, I'll say: a human life is more valuable", he said at an online meeting of the Solomon business club.
However, he believes the authorities should care for those who were in distress during self-isolation. "I think we should single out the groups of population who need money just to buy food. They should receive direct assistance from the state," Boroda said.
According to him, there should be interaction between the state and business, it is necessary to think about people who will go bankrupt, their employees will be discharged, "thrown out to the street".
"It is necessary to support business, of course. It is a major, difficult mission of the state - in fact, this is what taxes are paid for, funds are set up for such force majeure situations," Boroda said.
"Can I demand it? As a citizen, I think, I can. Probably, there should be more explanations, so that people feel safer," the rabbi believes.
- Putin bestows Order for Merit to Fatherland, 1st degree on oldest ruling bishop of Russian Orthodox Church 22 September 2020, 17:38
- Berel Lazar invited to Bahrain 22 September 2020, 13:18
- Russian Church wishes Depardieu to stop on Orthodoxy in his spiritual search 21 September 2020, 15:39
- Forty percent of Russia support Lenin reburial, 1 out of every 5 say his body should stay in Mausoleum - poll 18 September 2020, 20:44
- FJCR head views Hasidic pilgrims attempting to enter Ukraine as 'violence against common sense' 18 September 2020, 18:31
- Zelensky's Rosh Hashanah greeting expresses hope for return to normal rhythm of life next year 18 September 2020, 18:26
- No Hasidic pilgrims left on Belarusian-Ukrainian border 18 September 2020, 18:23
- The FJCR calls a huge breakthrough recognition of Israel in the Arab Emirates and Bahrain 18 September 2020, 16:46
- Case opened against 2 Baltic Fleet servicemen who washed shoes in holy spring in Orthodox chapel 18 September 2020, 16:32
- Hasidic pilgrims initially heading to Uman begin leaving Belarusian-Ukrainian border 18 September 2020, 12:15
- Putin notes Russian Jewish community's role in countering Covid-19, in strengthening peace and accord 18 September 2020, 11:17
- Some 1,000 Hasidic pilgrims expecting permission to enter Ukraine from Belarus 17 September 2020, 15:30
- Minsk accuses Kiev of empty rhetoric, urges it to respect rights of Hasidic pilgrims 17 September 2020, 10:39
- Kiev calls on Belarusian authorities to ensure Hasidic pilgrims adhere to quarantine regulations 16 September 2020, 20:27
- Ukraine urges Belarus to stop raising tensions on border, not to make false statements to Hasidic pilgrims (updated) 16 September 2020, 17:18
- Ukraine closes checkpoint on border with Belarus near which Hasidic pilgrims gathering 16 September 2020, 15:35
- Ukraine unable to let in additional numbers of Hasidic pilgrims due to current situation - Foreign Ministry 16 September 2020, 10:45
- Minsk seeks to agree with Ukraine on green corridor for Hasidic pilgrims 16 September 2020, 10:43
- Pope of Rome to consider possibility of visiting Belarus 16 September 2020, 10:42
- Vatican insists on Archbishop Kondrusiewicz's return to Belarus 16 September 2020, 10:40
- Tents set up for Hasidic pilgrims gathering on Belarus' border with Ukraine 15 September 2020, 20:00
- Archbishop Kondrusiewicz deprived of Belarusian passport, not citizenship 15 September 2020, 18:45
- Ukraine asks Belarus not to allow Hasidic pilgrims gathering at border to cross it 15 September 2020, 18:20
- Man brought down from roof of Alexander Nevsky Monastery in St. Petersburg 14 September 2020, 19:02
- Man on roof of St. Petersburg's Alexander Nevsky Monastery for over ten hours refused to come down 14 September 2020, 15:23
- Archbishop Kondrusiewicz deprived of Belarusian passport 14 September 2020, 13:28
- Catholics organize procession in Minsk to stop 'persecution of the Church', to bring back Kondrusiewicz 14 September 2020, 11:21
- Owner of a cafe in Ukrainian Uman pinned up a plate saying he wouldn't attend Chassids; the police initiates a case 14 September 2020, 10:19
- Russian Orthodox Church advises getting vaccinated against Covid-19 without delay 14 September 2020, 10:17
- Belarusian foreign minister discusses post-election situation with Vatican rep 11 September 2020, 20:16