18 May 2020, 16:30
Putin recommends Russian Muslims celebrate Eid al-Fitr at home (updated)
Novo-Ogaryovo, May 18, Interfax - Russian President Vladimir Putin has said he expects Muslims living in Russia to follow the recommendations of clerics and observe self-isolation measures during the Eid al-Fitr holiday celebrations.
Speaking during a teleconference with the leadership and members of the public of Dagestan on Monday, Putin said he is aware that Muslims are continuing to observe the Islamic fasting month of Ramadan, which ends on the evening of May 23, marking the start of the Eid al-Fitr holiday.
"I know how people in the republic treat this holiday and how they cherish traditions. I also know that clerics have called on believers, adherents of Islam, to celebrate this holiday at home, not to organize collective prayers, and skip the tradition of gathering in large companies with friends at this time," Putin said.
"I expect that this authoritative word will certainly be heard," he said.
Anna Popova, the head of the Federal Service for Health and Consumer Rights (Rospotrebnadzor) and chief public health official, said during the conference that the coronavirus situation in Dagestan has currently struck some "very delicate balance," and tighter isolation measures have helped stop explosive growth in the number of new cases. However, if Dagestani residents start actively contacting each other again, it would be impossible to avoid a new outbreak of Covid-19 there, she said.
"If the situation changes and the people start socializing now, we will unfortunately have further growth, deterioration, and more cases in critical condition, that's for sure. I'd like to point out that, certainly, traditional rites involving large numbers of people are typical for the republic, but this should be avoided as much as possible these days," Popova said.
Eid al-Fitr marks the end of the Muslim fasting month of Ramadan and traditionally lasts three days. This year, Eid al-Fitr begins on May 24.
- Putin bestows Order for Merit to Fatherland, 1st degree on oldest ruling bishop of Russian Orthodox Church 22 September 2020, 17:38
- Berel Lazar invited to Bahrain 22 September 2020, 13:18
- Russian Church wishes Depardieu to stop on Orthodoxy in his spiritual search 21 September 2020, 15:39
- Forty percent of Russia support Lenin reburial, 1 out of every 5 say his body should stay in Mausoleum - poll 18 September 2020, 20:44
- FJCR head views Hasidic pilgrims attempting to enter Ukraine as 'violence against common sense' 18 September 2020, 18:31
- Zelensky's Rosh Hashanah greeting expresses hope for return to normal rhythm of life next year 18 September 2020, 18:26
- No Hasidic pilgrims left on Belarusian-Ukrainian border 18 September 2020, 18:23
- The FJCR calls a huge breakthrough recognition of Israel in the Arab Emirates and Bahrain 18 September 2020, 16:46
- Case opened against 2 Baltic Fleet servicemen who washed shoes in holy spring in Orthodox chapel 18 September 2020, 16:32
- Hasidic pilgrims initially heading to Uman begin leaving Belarusian-Ukrainian border 18 September 2020, 12:15
- Putin notes Russian Jewish community's role in countering Covid-19, in strengthening peace and accord 18 September 2020, 11:17
- Some 1,000 Hasidic pilgrims expecting permission to enter Ukraine from Belarus 17 September 2020, 15:30
- Minsk accuses Kiev of empty rhetoric, urges it to respect rights of Hasidic pilgrims 17 September 2020, 10:39
- Kiev calls on Belarusian authorities to ensure Hasidic pilgrims adhere to quarantine regulations 16 September 2020, 20:27
- Ukraine urges Belarus to stop raising tensions on border, not to make false statements to Hasidic pilgrims (updated) 16 September 2020, 17:18
- Ukraine closes checkpoint on border with Belarus near which Hasidic pilgrims gathering 16 September 2020, 15:35
- Ukraine unable to let in additional numbers of Hasidic pilgrims due to current situation - Foreign Ministry 16 September 2020, 10:45
- Minsk seeks to agree with Ukraine on green corridor for Hasidic pilgrims 16 September 2020, 10:43
- Pope of Rome to consider possibility of visiting Belarus 16 September 2020, 10:42
- Vatican insists on Archbishop Kondrusiewicz's return to Belarus 16 September 2020, 10:40
- Tents set up for Hasidic pilgrims gathering on Belarus' border with Ukraine 15 September 2020, 20:00
- Archbishop Kondrusiewicz deprived of Belarusian passport, not citizenship 15 September 2020, 18:45
- Ukraine asks Belarus not to allow Hasidic pilgrims gathering at border to cross it 15 September 2020, 18:20
- Man brought down from roof of Alexander Nevsky Monastery in St. Petersburg 14 September 2020, 19:02
- Man on roof of St. Petersburg's Alexander Nevsky Monastery for over ten hours refused to come down 14 September 2020, 15:23
- Archbishop Kondrusiewicz deprived of Belarusian passport 14 September 2020, 13:28
- Catholics organize procession in Minsk to stop 'persecution of the Church', to bring back Kondrusiewicz 14 September 2020, 11:21
- Owner of a cafe in Ukrainian Uman pinned up a plate saying he wouldn't attend Chassids; the police initiates a case 14 September 2020, 10:19
- Russian Orthodox Church advises getting vaccinated against Covid-19 without delay 14 September 2020, 10:17
- Belarusian foreign minister discusses post-election situation with Vatican rep 11 September 2020, 20:16