22 May 2020, 13:38
St. Petersburg's Evening Light charity to appeal designation of U.S. preacher Branham's materials as extremist
St. Petersburg, May 22, Interfax - The Evening Light charity organization will appeal the St. Petersburg City Court's decision to designate the informational materials authored by U.S. preacher William Branham as extremist and prohibit their circulation in Russia, the organization's representative and lawyer of the Team 29 human rights advocacy group Maxim Olenichev told Interfax.
"We disagree with the court ruling and will contest it in an appeals court," Olenichev said.
On Thursday, the St. Petersburg City Court ruled in favor of a Prosecutor's Office lawsuit asking the court to designate a number of informational materials authored by U.S. preacher Branham as extremist and ban their circulation on Russian territory. In 2018, the Pushkinsky District Court of St. Petersburg dismissed a similar lawsuit filed by the Prosecutor's Office.
"Independent conclusions drawn up by specialists with a vast record of conducting examinations confirm the absence of signs of extremism in William Branham's sermons," Olenichev said.
"Branham criticized the Catholic Church, like any other church criticizes another, for example, the Orthodox Church criticizes the Catholic Church, but he didn't humiliate or insult these churches' worshippers themselves. In other words, his criticism exclusively targeted the social institution, the organization, but not people," he said.
"The court also took note of the results of an examination conducted by the Herzen [State Pedagogical] University. It was carried out without using general scientific methods, while the specialists who conducted it, in our opinion, lack sufficient expertise and are not experts in the fields of linguistics, psychology, sociology, and theology, who can analyze texts for the presence of signs of extremism in them," Olenichev said.
"This case centers on the violation of the main human right to practice any religion or not to practice it at all," he said.
- Russian prosecutors seeking to shut down Church of Last Testament 25 September 2020, 17:34
- Patriarch awards Lavrov the church order of Glory and Honor 23 September 2020, 18:35
- Followers of Church of the Last Testament gave part of their income to sect every month - source 23 September 2020, 18:29
- Two followers in Vissarion's community developed mental disorders - source 23 September 2020, 18:18
- Court arrests 3 leaders of Krasnoyarsk Church of the Last Testament 23 September 2020, 13:07
- Putin bestows Order for Merit to Fatherland, 1st degree on oldest ruling bishop of Russian Orthodox Church 22 September 2020, 17:38
- Berel Lazar invited to Bahrain 22 September 2020, 13:18
- Russian Church wishes Depardieu to stop on Orthodoxy in his spiritual search 21 September 2020, 15:39
- Forty percent of Russia support Lenin reburial, 1 out of every 5 say his body should stay in Mausoleum - poll 18 September 2020, 20:44
- FJCR head views Hasidic pilgrims attempting to enter Ukraine as 'violence against common sense' 18 September 2020, 18:31
- Zelensky's Rosh Hashanah greeting expresses hope for return to normal rhythm of life next year 18 September 2020, 18:26
- No Hasidic pilgrims left on Belarusian-Ukrainian border 18 September 2020, 18:23
- The FJCR calls a huge breakthrough recognition of Israel in the Arab Emirates and Bahrain 18 September 2020, 16:46
- Case opened against 2 Baltic Fleet servicemen who washed shoes in holy spring in Orthodox chapel 18 September 2020, 16:32
- Hasidic pilgrims initially heading to Uman begin leaving Belarusian-Ukrainian border 18 September 2020, 12:15
- Putin notes Russian Jewish community's role in countering Covid-19, in strengthening peace and accord 18 September 2020, 11:17
- Some 1,000 Hasidic pilgrims expecting permission to enter Ukraine from Belarus 17 September 2020, 15:30
- Minsk accuses Kiev of empty rhetoric, urges it to respect rights of Hasidic pilgrims 17 September 2020, 10:39
- Kiev calls on Belarusian authorities to ensure Hasidic pilgrims adhere to quarantine regulations 16 September 2020, 20:27
- Ukraine urges Belarus to stop raising tensions on border, not to make false statements to Hasidic pilgrims (updated) 16 September 2020, 17:18
- Ukraine closes checkpoint on border with Belarus near which Hasidic pilgrims gathering 16 September 2020, 15:35
- Ukraine unable to let in additional numbers of Hasidic pilgrims due to current situation - Foreign Ministry 16 September 2020, 10:45
- Minsk seeks to agree with Ukraine on green corridor for Hasidic pilgrims 16 September 2020, 10:43
- Pope of Rome to consider possibility of visiting Belarus 16 September 2020, 10:42
- Vatican insists on Archbishop Kondrusiewicz's return to Belarus 16 September 2020, 10:40
- Tents set up for Hasidic pilgrims gathering on Belarus' border with Ukraine 15 September 2020, 20:00
- Archbishop Kondrusiewicz deprived of Belarusian passport, not citizenship 15 September 2020, 18:45
- Ukraine asks Belarus not to allow Hasidic pilgrims gathering at border to cross it 15 September 2020, 18:20
- Man brought down from roof of Alexander Nevsky Monastery in St. Petersburg 14 September 2020, 19:02
- Man on roof of St. Petersburg's Alexander Nevsky Monastery for over ten hours refused to come down 14 September 2020, 15:23