02 June 2020, 18:27
World Russian People's Council calls on EU leaders to defend Russians' right to study in Ukrainian schools in their native language
Moscow, June 2, Interfax - The World Russian People's Council, which is headed by Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia, has asked international organizations and the leaders of European Union countries to react to Kiev's decision to order Russian-language schools in Ukraine to switch to teaching in the Ukrainian language from September 1.
"It is necessary to stop this outrage and discrimination against Russian citizens in Ukraine in the field of national education policy and give Russians and other Russian-speaking citizens a right to have their own schools and classes where they could receive primary and secondary education in their native language or a language as chosen by their parents," the World Russian People's Council said in an address published on its website on Tuesday.
The council believes that the closure of state Russian-language schools in Ukraine will sow even greater discord among the country's citizens and will contribute to the radicalization of the conflict in its east and southeast, where "a significant number of citizens see Russian as their native language and are eager to give their children an opportunity to safeguard their culture and language."
The authors of the address are particularly concerned that the law "On full general secondary education", which was adopted in Ukraine, contravenes a whole range of international agreements. In particular, the 1995 Framework Convention of the Council of Europe for the Protection of National Minorities, which Ukraine signed on January 26, 1998, says that "every person belonging to a national minority has the right to learn his or her minority language."
Believing that the Ukrainian authorities' decision to stop teaching in Russian "cannot be called anything other than discriminatory", the leadership of the World Russian People's Council calls on international organizations advocating human rights and the leaders of European states to "draw the Ukrainian government's attention to this violation of the fundamental principles of international agreements."
The World Russian People's Council is an international non-governmental organization, which was established in 1993. It was granted special consultative status with the United Nations in 2005.
- Christmas parliamentary meetings postponed indefinitely due to coronavirus situation 21 January 2022, 17:53
- Former Metropolitan Vladimir of St. Petersburg died at the age of 92 19 January 2022, 20:35
- Putin didn't take Epiphany ice plunge this year 19 January 2022, 13:35
- State Duma passes bill on life sentence for pedophiles 18 January 2022, 18:18
- Anti-Semitism is on the rise in Germany - Deputy Ambassador 18 January 2022, 18:16
- The head of Yakutia took part in Epiphany bathing in a 40-degree frost 18 January 2022, 18:10
- Patriarch Kirill admitted that part of the world Orthodoxy will go into schism 18 January 2022, 18:05
- Death penalty impossible in Russia - State Duma committee head 12 January 2022, 15:46
- Russian Orthodox Church works out a program of comprehensive presence in Africa 12 January 2022, 15:01
- Kazakh president urges preventing merger of criminality, religious extremism 11 January 2022, 11:38
- Russian Orthodox Church against lifting moratorium on death penalty 08 January 2022, 19:27
- Patriarch Kirill hopes Covid-19 pandemic will be over 07 January 2022, 19:28
- Patriarch Kirill prays for peace in Kazakhstan at Christmas service 07 January 2022, 19:26
- Patriarch Kirill concerned about the shortsightedness of politicians who speak to Russia from a position of strength 07 January 2022, 12:59
- Putin notes moral significance of Christmas 07 January 2022, 10:25
- Russian Orthodox Church sets up Patriarchal Exarchate of Africa 30 December 2021, 10:00
- Russian Church admits over 100 Patriarchate of Alexandria clerics as its members (updated) 29 December 2021, 17:56
- Russian govt orders monitoring of violations of citizens' rights along ethnic, religious lines 29 December 2021, 12:23
- Russian Church considers the long-term isolation of criminals no less effective than death penalty 29 December 2021, 11:30
- Russia not to reinstate death penalty in coming years - Presidential Human Rights Council member 29 December 2021, 11:14
- Group for protection of Christian values created at State Duma 29 December 2021, 11:12
- FJCR considers departure from traditional values the main reason for demographic decline of Jewish population after the war 27 December 2021, 12:14
- FJCR believes that mutual assistance has become the main social trend of 2021 27 December 2021, 12:03
- The head of the Russian Investigative Committee discussed the importance of spirituality in life and work with Mireille Mathieu 27 December 2021, 11:58
- Patriarch Kirill believes that modern cinema promotes the upbringing of an "old" person 27 December 2021, 11:54
- Russian Church to defrock priest Stremsky convicted of child abuse 24 December 2021, 18:21
- Orenburg priest gets 21 years in penal colony for violence against children 24 December 2021, 14:11
- Patriarch Kirill urges believers not to identify vaccination QR codes as 'Antichrist's marks' 24 December 2021, 10:19
- Insulting others not tantamount to freedom of creativity – Putin 23 December 2021, 18:29
- Patriarch Kirill worried by tightening control over people's privacy amid pandemic 23 December 2021, 18:08