17 June 2020, 17:10
The Russian Church officials debate about admissibility of in vitro fertilization
Moscow, June 17, Interfax - The Patriarchal Commission for Family official says it is early to change the church position on the in vitro fertilization.
"It is not only moral and ethical question, but also the question of the Church reputation. The Church cannot bless the procedure, after which about 70% of children are born with certain disorders in development, according to the official statistics of Russia's Pediatricians Union. The question if in vitro children are able to give healthy offsprings is also open," the Commission Executive Secretary priest Fedor Lukyanov told Interfax on Wednesday.
Thus he commented on the opinion of the Patriarchate's deputy property manager Bishop Savva (Tutunov), who supposed that approach of the Russian Orthodox Church to in vitro fertilization may be revised as today there is a possibility not to eliminate the so-called "excess" embryos.
The patriarchal commission official says that even if the only ovum is used during the in vitro fertilization (at the so-called in vitro fertilization of the "natural cycle"), the embryo perishes in 93% of cases which, according to the priest, "practically equals to a death sentence to the conceived child." Thus, "in vitro fertilization in "natural cycle" is rarely applied and is replaced with usual in vitro fertilization with selection (which means selection of the vital embryos with further cryoconcervation and exclusion of not vital embryos).
If the position of the Church is softened, it will provoke a wider spreading of the surrogate maternity based on the in vitro fertilization techniques. In its turn, it will give a chance to Church opponents to blame it in promoting this practice banned in many countries, Lukyanov believes.
He also reminded that surrogate maternity is considered morally unacceptable not only in the Church. Thus, honorary Chairman of the Executive Committee of Russia's Pediatricians Union Alexander Baranov condemned surrogate maternity and in vitro fertilization speaking at the 3rd Hippocrates Forum in Moscow and specified that the latter is dangerous for woman and child.
- Muslim countries can rely on Russia's support in tackling regional crises – Putin 28 July 2021, 14:01
- Court again commits Yakut shaman Gabyshev to psychiatric clinic 27 July 2021, 10:46
- Three Jehovah's Witnesses fined in Kirov 21 July 2021, 17:30
- Putin congratulates Russian Muslims on Eid al-Adha 20 July 2021, 11:20
- No one has the right to make a decision on vaccination for a person – Russian bishop 19 July 2021, 11:07
- Moscow Patriarchate will support Russian athletes in Tokyo 19 July 2021, 10:36
- Duma's Slutsky doubts impartiality of ECHR judges 16 July 2021, 21:26
- Three Jehovah's Witnesses given suspended prison sentences in Russia's Sverdlovsk Region 16 July 2021, 21:24
- Russia won't look for 'compromise' as concerns registering same-sex relations – Peskov 14 July 2021, 15:38
- ECHR judges who considered issue of same-sex marriage in Russia should resign - Duma speaker 14 July 2021, 10:05
- Russia won't follow ECHR recommendation on same-sex marriage - deputy head of Duma committee 14 July 2021, 10:03
- ECHR urges Russia to allow same-sex marriages 14 July 2021, 10:00
- Patriarch Kirill asks Mishustin to support the bill banning surrogacy for foreigners 12 July 2021, 17:49
- Mosques in Moscow to be closed to believers on Eid al-Adha 12 July 2021, 10:25
- Diplomatic missions condemn violence at Tbilisi LGBT march 05 July 2021, 18:21
- March in support of LGBT community in Tbilisi cancelled 05 July 2021, 16:53
- Opponents of LGBT community attack journalists in Tbilisi 05 July 2021, 15:49
- Georgian PM asks LGBT community to cancel march in Tbilisi 05 July 2021, 15:48
- The anti-terrorist exercises held in Kiev synagogue with Israeli ambassador 05 July 2021, 11:24
- Main threat to the traditional morality of Russians emanates from U.S., allies - national security strategy 05 July 2021, 10:05
- Radicals in Tbilisi protest against LGBT events 02 July 2021, 10:06
- A thousand churches may collapse in Russia in the next ten years 01 July 2021, 18:04
- Moscow court outlaws Eye of God Telegram bot 01 July 2021, 17:58
- Russian Church proposes to make the Day of Crimea's Reunification with Russia a national holiday 30 June 2021, 14:23
- The Russian Church speaker advises to learn politeness and self-organization from the West 30 June 2021, 14:12
- A fire elevator removed a woman who became ill from the colonnade of St. Isaac 28 June 2021, 17:44
- Plans to remove Russians from list of native peoples of Ukraine utter nonsense - Russian Orthodox Church 28 June 2021, 11:18
- Russia not to link coronavirus vaccine supply to politics and religion 24 June 2021, 18:10
- Russian Church calls for a general mobilization against coronavirus 21 June 2021, 12:08
- Russian Orthodox Church supports ban on foreigners using surrogacy services 11 June 2021, 16:32