07 July 2020, 14:55
Kremlin not following situation surrounding rebellious Urals cleric Sergy - Peskov
Moscow, July 7, Interfax - The Kremlin is not following the events surrounding former Schema-Hegumen Sergy (Romanov), Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov said.
"The Kremlin isn't following that," Peskov told journalists when asked the relevant question on Tuesday.
A court in the Verkhnyaya Pyshma district in the Sverdlovsk Region ruled earlier on Tuesday to find Father Sergy, a defrocked schema monk based in the Urals, guilty of disseminating false publicly important information in the media and online under the guise of true reports and fined him 90,000 rubles.
As reported, a public sermon in which Father Sergy dismissed the Covid-19 pandemic as a myth and called for disobedience to senior clergy and the authorities earlier drew outcry on social networks and in the media. Father Sergy also cursed those who temporarily closed churches during the pandemic and warned of the creation of "Satan's electronic camp."
Another video message from Father Sergy was published later, in which he called for reopening churches and warned of the dangers of microchipping, which would allegedly prove fatal for the majority of people.
The anti-extremism center at the Interior Ministry department for the Sverdlovsk Region later concluded that Father Sergy's actions might have involved signs of an administrative offence.
The Ecclesiastical Court for the Yekaterinburg Diocese ruled on July 3 to find Father Sergy guilty of violating his monastic vows and his ministerial oath and defrocked him. The patriarch of Moscow and All Russia must endorse the ruling, after which it will take effect.
- Ways to bypass coronavirus-related entry ban for pilgrimage to Ukraine being advertised in Israel 03 August 2020, 14:01
- Top Russian Orthodox priest speaks out against contraception 03 August 2020, 13:40
- Patriarch Kirill says there is not a drop of truth in rumors about his wealth 03 August 2020, 11:56
- Christianization of Rus was the main revolution in Russian history - Patriarch Kirill 28 July 2020, 20:26
- Poroshenko 'proud' of tomos criminal case against him 28 July 2020, 18:49
- Half of Georgian residents agree that faith helps protect against coronavirus - poll 28 July 2020, 16:54
- Russian Foreign Ministry sends notes of protest to Western states' embassies over LGBT flags hoisted on their buildings 28 July 2020, 14:04
- Kyrgyz Muslim board cancels Eid al-Adha collective prayers due to Covid-19 28 July 2020, 12:08
- Russian Orthodox Church calls for learning lessons from Hagia Sophia's transformation into mosque, Nantes Cathedral arson 27 July 2020, 17:00
- About three billion rubles donated annually for construction of Orthodox churches in Moscow 27 July 2020, 15:20
- Russian Church calls female circumcision barbaric 27 July 2020, 10:18
- Russian metropolitan is ready to become a volunteer for a coronavirus vaccine trial 27 July 2020, 10:15
- Patriarch Kirill obliges mother superior of a Moscow monastery to sell her luxury Mercedes 27 July 2020, 10:07
- Ukraine proposes to introduce fine for promoting homosexuality 24 July 2020, 19:43
- Former schema-hegumen not planning to leave Sredneuralsky Convent 24 July 2020, 19:38
- Patriarch Kirill approves decision of Yekaterinburg Diocese's court to defrock monk Sergy (Romanov) 24 July 2020, 11:25
- Patriarch Kirill calls on Armenia, Azerbaijan to have dialogue 24 July 2020, 10:57
- Fourteen nuns leave Sredneuralsky Convent taken over by former schema-hegumen 23 July 2020, 18:08
- FSB detains over 20 Islamic Movement of Uzbekistan terrorists in Moscow, Novosibirsk, Krasnoyarsk Territory 23 July 2020, 15:22
- Putin, Greek PM discuss situation surrounding Hagia Sofia Cathedral in Istanbul 23 July 2020, 10:18
- Charter flight with Chassids onboard arrived at Transcarpathia 22 July 2020, 17:13
- Residents of Altai are outraged with the tourists who hook medical masks on the trees "for ghosts" 22 July 2020, 16:32
- Yakutian 'shaman' Gabyshev discharged from mental hospital 22 July 2020, 14:26
- Construction of main Olympic team church has started in the south-west Moscow 20 July 2020, 18:19
- One UK, 6 U.S. NGOs designated undesirable in Russia (updated) 20 July 2020, 15:01
- St. Nicholas Cathedral in Nice nominated for the best architectural monument of France in 2020 20 July 2020, 14:59
- Russian Orthodox Church Synod calls on global community to keep special status of Hagia Sophia in Istanbul 17 July 2020, 16:32
- Change of Hagia Sophia status Turkey's internal affair - Dodon 17 July 2020, 15:36
- Lot of work to do investigating killing of Emperor Nicholas II, family members - Russian Investigative Committee 17 July 2020, 12:25
- Moscow-Ankara relations not to worsen over changed Hagia Sophia status - Peskov 17 July 2020, 12:02