23 September 2020, 13:07
Court arrests 3 leaders of Krasnoyarsk Church of the Last Testament
Novosibirsk, September 23, Interfax - The Novosibirsk Central District Court on Wednesday arrested Sergey Torop, who calls himself Vissarion, Vadim Redkin, and Vladimir Vedernikov, leaders of the Krasnoyarsk religious organization Church of the Last Testament.
"The Central District Court on September 23 ruled to arrest Torop for two months, that is, until November 22," the court chairperson's assistant Alyona Zubova told Interfax.
The court has also arrested Redkin and Vedernikov for two months, until November 22.
The three men were detained during a special operation on the territory of the Kuraginsky district of the Krasnoyarsk Territory. Their residences have been searched.
According to the Investigative Committee, Torop, Redkin, and Vedernikov led a religious organization called Church of the Last Testament in the Kuraginsky district between 1991 and September 22, 2020. Torop calls himself Christ, the son of God, named Vissarion.
According to investigators' information, the men obtained money from citizens and subjected them to psychological violence, as a result of which, severe harm was done to the health of some members of the religious organization over a long period of time, for the purpose of receiving revenue from religious activities.
The detainees are expected to be charged with creating a religious association whose operations involve violence against citizens and the infliction of severe harm to the health of two or more people.
The Church of the Last Testament is a new religious movement. It was founded by Torop in 1991. In 1995, the religious organization received its current name and was registered with the Justice Ministry. Followers of the movement also call themselves "Vissarion's Community." They live in several populated areas in the Kuraginsky District of the Krasnoyarsk Territory of Russia. Journalists arrived in the community in late August, and representatives of the religious movement tried to prevent them from filming. A criminal case was opened based on obstruction of the lawful professional activities of journalists.
- Radical Islamists step up work among young Russians - Patrushev 30 October 2020, 19:49
- Religious extremist organizations trying to strengthen their positions in Russia using migrants 30 October 2020, 19:48
- Russian mufti condemns attacks on innocent people, calls on Muslims to be above those who slander Islam 30 October 2020, 18:01
- Kremlin sees no connection between attack on police station in Tatarstan and events in France (updated) 30 October 2020, 16:41
- FJCR President puts on Charlie Hebdo indirect blame for the attack on church in Nice 30 October 2020, 13:42
- No world religions accept ideas of extremism - Peskov 30 October 2020, 13:26
- Tatarstan Interior Ministry denies Kukmor assailant was on police books as extremist-minded person 30 October 2020, 13:14
- Teenager who attacked police station in Tatarstan did not go to local mosques 30 October 2020, 11:50
- Islamist teenager shot dead after attacking police station in Russia's Tatarstan 30 October 2020, 11:08
- Patriarch Kirill condemns Nice attack disguised by religious slogans 29 October 2020, 20:07
- Muslims holding unauthorized protest outside French embassy in Moscow 29 October 2020, 17:57
- Kremlin comments on Chechen authorities' plans to pay 100,000 rubles for naming newborns after Prophet Muhammad 29 October 2020, 16:34
- Putin calls attack at Nice church 'cynical, brutal crime,' says Russians share French people's anger, grief - Kremlin 29 October 2020, 16:33
- Religious affiliation in Russia in no way criterion for appointment, election to state posts - Peskov 29 October 2020, 14:45
- Magazine similar to France's Charlie Hebdo impossible in Russia - Peskov 29 October 2020, 14:35
- Unacceptable to insult feelings of believers, kill people for religious reasons - Peskov 29 October 2020, 14:32
- Kremlin describes Nice church attack as 'absolutely horrific tragedy' 29 October 2020, 14:30
- Kadyrov describes his words addressed to Macron as gesture of Muslim, not politician 29 October 2020, 10:00
- Former schema-hegumen Sergy refuses to go to questionings for fear of contracting Covid-19 28 October 2020, 20:07
- Russian Orthodox Church shocked by changes at Istanbul's Chora Monastery recently turned into mosque 28 October 2020, 20:02
- Prosecutors seeking 18 years in penal colony for head of Russian cell of Aum Shinrikyo 28 October 2020, 18:14
- Kantor reelected president of European Jewish Congress 28 October 2020, 15:12
- Kadyrov urges Macron to stop backing publication of Prophet Muhammad cartoons 27 October 2020, 18:20
- Russian court rejects appeal from Jehovah's Witness from Denmark on replacing remaining prison term with fine 27 October 2020, 18:14
- Russia has 1 mln Jews - FJCR 27 October 2020, 10:56
- Head of the Church of Cyprus recognizes OCU autocephaly 26 October 2020, 13:30
- Tikhanovskaya urges religious communities to support the strike 26 October 2020, 12:07
- Head of Jehovah's Witnesses cell in Kirov was fined for about 6,500 USD 23 October 2020, 18:32
- Over 20 "caliphate builders" exposed in North Caucasus 23 October 2020, 12:38
- Russian Church concerned about possibility of illegal use of personal data 22 October 2020, 20:15