08 October 2020, 14:42
Coronavirus restrictions re-introduced in Russian synagogues
Moscow, October 8, Interfax - The Federation of Jewish Communities of Russia (FJCR) has stepped up precautions in its synagogues due to an increase in the number of coronavirus cases.
"People can only come to synagogues in medical masks and gloves. The administrations of communities strictly follow the observance of distancing between praying people and the observance of all medical requirements and recommendations. Extra spaces were provided for prayer during the recent holidays Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur so that praying people should not create crowds and can observe the necessary distance," Russian Chief Rabbi Berel Lazar told Israeli charge d'affaires Keren Cohen Gat at a meeting in Moscow.
None of the flock of the FJCR has contracted the infection thanks to the observance of safety measures and extra restrictions will be put in place for the upcoming Simchat Torah holiday, the rabbi said. The traditional Torah dancing will be conducted differently: people will be standing still and the person carrying the holy book will be moving around the hall.
According to earlier reports, Rabbi Lazar closed his synagogue in Maryina Roshcha on March 18 to prevent the flock from being infected as, according to the Torah, human life is the main value. FJCR synagogues in many cities of Russia were closed later and they only reopened after three-four months, when the risk of infection declined.
The Israeli diplomat said absurd accusations against the Jews and Israel, alleging that they somehow "created the coronavirus," are being spread in some European countries (for example, in Germany). The rabbi, for his part, said such accusations are not popular in Russia as Russian society is generally quite friendly to Jews and individual anti-Semitic incidents are stopped by the authorities.
Lazar also expressed his support for Israel's Jews in connection with the difficult epidemiological situation in the country.
- Radical Islamists step up work among young Russians - Patrushev 30 October 2020, 19:49
- Religious extremist organizations trying to strengthen their positions in Russia using migrants 30 October 2020, 19:48
- Russian mufti condemns attacks on innocent people, calls on Muslims to be above those who slander Islam 30 October 2020, 18:01
- Kremlin sees no connection between attack on police station in Tatarstan and events in France (updated) 30 October 2020, 16:41
- FJCR President puts on Charlie Hebdo indirect blame for the attack on church in Nice 30 October 2020, 13:42
- No world religions accept ideas of extremism - Peskov 30 October 2020, 13:26
- Tatarstan Interior Ministry denies Kukmor assailant was on police books as extremist-minded person 30 October 2020, 13:14
- Teenager who attacked police station in Tatarstan did not go to local mosques 30 October 2020, 11:50
- Islamist teenager shot dead after attacking police station in Russia's Tatarstan 30 October 2020, 11:08
- Patriarch Kirill condemns Nice attack disguised by religious slogans 29 October 2020, 20:07
- Muslims holding unauthorized protest outside French embassy in Moscow 29 October 2020, 17:57
- Kremlin comments on Chechen authorities' plans to pay 100,000 rubles for naming newborns after Prophet Muhammad 29 October 2020, 16:34
- Putin calls attack at Nice church 'cynical, brutal crime,' says Russians share French people's anger, grief - Kremlin 29 October 2020, 16:33
- Religious affiliation in Russia in no way criterion for appointment, election to state posts - Peskov 29 October 2020, 14:45
- Magazine similar to France's Charlie Hebdo impossible in Russia - Peskov 29 October 2020, 14:35
- Unacceptable to insult feelings of believers, kill people for religious reasons - Peskov 29 October 2020, 14:32
- Kremlin describes Nice church attack as 'absolutely horrific tragedy' 29 October 2020, 14:30
- Kadyrov describes his words addressed to Macron as gesture of Muslim, not politician 29 October 2020, 10:00
- Former schema-hegumen Sergy refuses to go to questionings for fear of contracting Covid-19 28 October 2020, 20:07
- Russian Orthodox Church shocked by changes at Istanbul's Chora Monastery recently turned into mosque 28 October 2020, 20:02
- Prosecutors seeking 18 years in penal colony for head of Russian cell of Aum Shinrikyo 28 October 2020, 18:14
- Kantor reelected president of European Jewish Congress 28 October 2020, 15:12
- Kadyrov urges Macron to stop backing publication of Prophet Muhammad cartoons 27 October 2020, 18:20
- Russian court rejects appeal from Jehovah's Witness from Denmark on replacing remaining prison term with fine 27 October 2020, 18:14
- Russia has 1 mln Jews - FJCR 27 October 2020, 10:56
- Head of the Church of Cyprus recognizes OCU autocephaly 26 October 2020, 13:30
- Tikhanovskaya urges religious communities to support the strike 26 October 2020, 12:07
- Head of Jehovah's Witnesses cell in Kirov was fined for about 6,500 USD 23 October 2020, 18:32
- Over 20 "caliphate builders" exposed in North Caucasus 23 October 2020, 12:38
- Russian Church concerned about possibility of illegal use of personal data 22 October 2020, 20:15