08 October 2020, 18:15
Patriarch Kirill in quarantine after contact with coronavirus patient (updated)
Moscow, October 8, Interfax - Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia did not attend the traditional event marking the repose of Saint Sergius of Radonezh, which is marked on October 8, because he is quarantined.
"I would like to say with deep regret that I cannot share the joy of prayer communion with you this time. The reason is my recent contact with a person who was diagnosed with coronavirus infection. The time needed for my personal quarantine in accordance with the medical recommendations is not over yet. I decided that I cannot put you all at risk of being infected," the patriarch said in his letter to Bishop Foma, locum of the Trinity Lavra of St. Sergius, published on Thursday.
The patriarch said the current pandemic is a serious trial, which shows the strength of prayer.
"There are two ways out of any trial, including this one: either the person breaks and loses faith and hope for God's help or he comes out of the situation stronger, with the realization that everything happens according to the Divine Providence. I hope to God that all trials will strengthen our people in faith and will cause many people to turn to Christ," the patriarch said.
In the meantime, Russian Orthodox Church spokesperson Vladimir Legoyda said Patriarch Kirill remains healthy after his contact with a coronavirus patient.
"The patriarch of the Russian Church remains in good health, he feels well, he continues working remotely," he said on Telegram on Thursday.
Legoyda said he is certain that the patriarch's self-isolation "is an example of a responsible attitude and care about the safety of the people near him in the conditions of the spread of the coronavirus infection."
- Radical Islamists step up work among young Russians - Patrushev 30 October 2020, 19:49
- Religious extremist organizations trying to strengthen their positions in Russia using migrants 30 October 2020, 19:48
- Russian mufti condemns attacks on innocent people, calls on Muslims to be above those who slander Islam 30 October 2020, 18:01
- Kremlin sees no connection between attack on police station in Tatarstan and events in France (updated) 30 October 2020, 16:41
- FJCR President puts on Charlie Hebdo indirect blame for the attack on church in Nice 30 October 2020, 13:42
- No world religions accept ideas of extremism - Peskov 30 October 2020, 13:26
- Tatarstan Interior Ministry denies Kukmor assailant was on police books as extremist-minded person 30 October 2020, 13:14
- Teenager who attacked police station in Tatarstan did not go to local mosques 30 October 2020, 11:50
- Islamist teenager shot dead after attacking police station in Russia's Tatarstan 30 October 2020, 11:08
- Patriarch Kirill condemns Nice attack disguised by religious slogans 29 October 2020, 20:07
- Muslims holding unauthorized protest outside French embassy in Moscow 29 October 2020, 17:57
- Kremlin comments on Chechen authorities' plans to pay 100,000 rubles for naming newborns after Prophet Muhammad 29 October 2020, 16:34
- Putin calls attack at Nice church 'cynical, brutal crime,' says Russians share French people's anger, grief - Kremlin 29 October 2020, 16:33
- Religious affiliation in Russia in no way criterion for appointment, election to state posts - Peskov 29 October 2020, 14:45
- Magazine similar to France's Charlie Hebdo impossible in Russia - Peskov 29 October 2020, 14:35
- Unacceptable to insult feelings of believers, kill people for religious reasons - Peskov 29 October 2020, 14:32
- Kremlin describes Nice church attack as 'absolutely horrific tragedy' 29 October 2020, 14:30
- Kadyrov describes his words addressed to Macron as gesture of Muslim, not politician 29 October 2020, 10:00
- Former schema-hegumen Sergy refuses to go to questionings for fear of contracting Covid-19 28 October 2020, 20:07
- Russian Orthodox Church shocked by changes at Istanbul's Chora Monastery recently turned into mosque 28 October 2020, 20:02
- Prosecutors seeking 18 years in penal colony for head of Russian cell of Aum Shinrikyo 28 October 2020, 18:14
- Kantor reelected president of European Jewish Congress 28 October 2020, 15:12
- Kadyrov urges Macron to stop backing publication of Prophet Muhammad cartoons 27 October 2020, 18:20
- Russian court rejects appeal from Jehovah's Witness from Denmark on replacing remaining prison term with fine 27 October 2020, 18:14
- Russia has 1 mln Jews - FJCR 27 October 2020, 10:56
- Head of the Church of Cyprus recognizes OCU autocephaly 26 October 2020, 13:30
- Tikhanovskaya urges religious communities to support the strike 26 October 2020, 12:07
- Head of Jehovah's Witnesses cell in Kirov was fined for about 6,500 USD 23 October 2020, 18:32
- Over 20 "caliphate builders" exposed in North Caucasus 23 October 2020, 12:38
- Russian Church concerned about possibility of illegal use of personal data 22 October 2020, 20:15