13 October 2020, 18:08
Patriarch Kirill calls for putting end to bloodshed in Nagorno-Karabakh
Moscow, October 13, Interfax - Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia issued a statement on Tuesday calling for extending the ceasefire in Nagorno-Karabakh.
"I attach great importance to the agreements reached through the mediation of Russia at the level of the Ministers of Foreign Affairs of Azerbaijan and Armenia. I call upon the state leadership of both countries to use the ceasefire in order to switch solution seeking to the political track. For the sake of the future of the two neighboring peoples, I urge to extend the ceasefire and use it for peaceful negotiations," the patriarch's statement published on the Russian Orthodox Church's official website says.
The patriarch appealed to all of the conflicting parties to spare each other's lives. "May the chronometer of the bloody feud stop in the name of peaceful future. Armenia and Azerbaijan historically were and will be neighbors; in any event, the Azerbaijani and the Armenians will be living side by side," he said.
"A bad peace is better than a good quarrel: this old truth is relevant today more than ever. When there is peace, people can meet, communicate, and seek solutions to problems. But when there is a war and human blood is being shed and crimes are being committed, then it is difficult to reach joint political decisions," he said.
Patriarch Kirill personally addressed the religious leaders of the Armenians and the Azerbaijanis, Supreme Patriarch and Catholicos Karekin II of All Armenians and Chairman of the Caucasus Muslims Board, Sheikh ul-Islam Allahshukur Pashazade.
"Dear brothers, together we have come a long way, exerting efforts so that this confrontation may not turn into an interfaith conflict, so that the problems may be resolved by peaceful means. Today each of us and all we together must do all we can to stop the bloodshed," the patriarch said.
- Radical Islamists step up work among young Russians - Patrushev 30 October 2020, 19:49
- Religious extremist organizations trying to strengthen their positions in Russia using migrants 30 October 2020, 19:48
- Russian mufti condemns attacks on innocent people, calls on Muslims to be above those who slander Islam 30 October 2020, 18:01
- Kremlin sees no connection between attack on police station in Tatarstan and events in France (updated) 30 October 2020, 16:41
- FJCR President puts on Charlie Hebdo indirect blame for the attack on church in Nice 30 October 2020, 13:42
- No world religions accept ideas of extremism - Peskov 30 October 2020, 13:26
- Tatarstan Interior Ministry denies Kukmor assailant was on police books as extremist-minded person 30 October 2020, 13:14
- Teenager who attacked police station in Tatarstan did not go to local mosques 30 October 2020, 11:50
- Islamist teenager shot dead after attacking police station in Russia's Tatarstan 30 October 2020, 11:08
- Patriarch Kirill condemns Nice attack disguised by religious slogans 29 October 2020, 20:07
- Muslims holding unauthorized protest outside French embassy in Moscow 29 October 2020, 17:57
- Kremlin comments on Chechen authorities' plans to pay 100,000 rubles for naming newborns after Prophet Muhammad 29 October 2020, 16:34
- Putin calls attack at Nice church 'cynical, brutal crime,' says Russians share French people's anger, grief - Kremlin 29 October 2020, 16:33
- Religious affiliation in Russia in no way criterion for appointment, election to state posts - Peskov 29 October 2020, 14:45
- Magazine similar to France's Charlie Hebdo impossible in Russia - Peskov 29 October 2020, 14:35
- Unacceptable to insult feelings of believers, kill people for religious reasons - Peskov 29 October 2020, 14:32
- Kremlin describes Nice church attack as 'absolutely horrific tragedy' 29 October 2020, 14:30
- Kadyrov describes his words addressed to Macron as gesture of Muslim, not politician 29 October 2020, 10:00
- Former schema-hegumen Sergy refuses to go to questionings for fear of contracting Covid-19 28 October 2020, 20:07
- Russian Orthodox Church shocked by changes at Istanbul's Chora Monastery recently turned into mosque 28 October 2020, 20:02
- Prosecutors seeking 18 years in penal colony for head of Russian cell of Aum Shinrikyo 28 October 2020, 18:14
- Kantor reelected president of European Jewish Congress 28 October 2020, 15:12
- Kadyrov urges Macron to stop backing publication of Prophet Muhammad cartoons 27 October 2020, 18:20
- Russian court rejects appeal from Jehovah's Witness from Denmark on replacing remaining prison term with fine 27 October 2020, 18:14
- Russia has 1 mln Jews - FJCR 27 October 2020, 10:56
- Head of the Church of Cyprus recognizes OCU autocephaly 26 October 2020, 13:30
- Tikhanovskaya urges religious communities to support the strike 26 October 2020, 12:07
- Head of Jehovah's Witnesses cell in Kirov was fined for about 6,500 USD 23 October 2020, 18:32
- Over 20 "caliphate builders" exposed in North Caucasus 23 October 2020, 12:38
- Russian Church concerned about possibility of illegal use of personal data 22 October 2020, 20:15