15 October 2020, 13:42
FJCR considers Kiev's order to pray for pogrom-makers an insult of the Jewish people
Moscow, October 15, Interfax - The Federation of Jewish Communities of Russia official believes that the recommendation to hold a prayer service on the Defender of Ukraine Day, sent to the Jewish communities in Kiev, offends the Jewish people.
"The recommendation to Jewish communities of October 14, 2020, witnesses to a completely new level of immorality of modern Ukrainian patriotic ideology," FJCR President Alexander Boroda wrote in his article published in Nezavisimaya Gazeta on Thursday.
It was established to celebrate the Defender of Ukraine Day on October 14, 2014, by a decree of then acting President Pyotr Poroshenko. Historically, this date is associated with the day of the Ukrainian Cossacks and the day of the foundation of the Ukrainian Insurgent Army (banned in the Russian Federation - IF). "These facts are enough to understand that the request signed by the head of Kiev City Council's Culture Department Dina Popova combines absolutely contradictory concepts," Boroda wrote.
The rabbi noted that among the heroes of Ukraine that Jews are supposed to pray for is Bogdan Khmelnitsky, and the pogroms he organized are rightly called the first Holocaust of Ukrainian Jewry.
Led by another hero of Ukraine, Simon Petliura, the army was engaged in the brutal extermination of the Jewish population during the Civil War, and, according to the Red Cross, 50,000 Jews were killed in these attacks in 1919, Boroda recalled.
"We can continue this list with new "heroes" of modern Ukraine, actual and ideological leaders of the Ukrainian Insurgent Army," the FJCR president wrote.
According to him, the Kiev authorities do not take into account the historical context at all. "We see that the glorification of criminals, the public, consistent justification of their crimes has reached the highest degree of cynicism," Boroda said.
- Radical Islamists step up work among young Russians - Patrushev 30 October 2020, 19:49
- Religious extremist organizations trying to strengthen their positions in Russia using migrants 30 October 2020, 19:48
- Russian mufti condemns attacks on innocent people, calls on Muslims to be above those who slander Islam 30 October 2020, 18:01
- Kremlin sees no connection between attack on police station in Tatarstan and events in France (updated) 30 October 2020, 16:41
- FJCR President puts on Charlie Hebdo indirect blame for the attack on church in Nice 30 October 2020, 13:42
- No world religions accept ideas of extremism - Peskov 30 October 2020, 13:26
- Tatarstan Interior Ministry denies Kukmor assailant was on police books as extremist-minded person 30 October 2020, 13:14
- Teenager who attacked police station in Tatarstan did not go to local mosques 30 October 2020, 11:50
- Islamist teenager shot dead after attacking police station in Russia's Tatarstan 30 October 2020, 11:08
- Patriarch Kirill condemns Nice attack disguised by religious slogans 29 October 2020, 20:07
- Muslims holding unauthorized protest outside French embassy in Moscow 29 October 2020, 17:57
- Kremlin comments on Chechen authorities' plans to pay 100,000 rubles for naming newborns after Prophet Muhammad 29 October 2020, 16:34
- Putin calls attack at Nice church 'cynical, brutal crime,' says Russians share French people's anger, grief - Kremlin 29 October 2020, 16:33
- Religious affiliation in Russia in no way criterion for appointment, election to state posts - Peskov 29 October 2020, 14:45
- Magazine similar to France's Charlie Hebdo impossible in Russia - Peskov 29 October 2020, 14:35
- Unacceptable to insult feelings of believers, kill people for religious reasons - Peskov 29 October 2020, 14:32
- Kremlin describes Nice church attack as 'absolutely horrific tragedy' 29 October 2020, 14:30
- Kadyrov describes his words addressed to Macron as gesture of Muslim, not politician 29 October 2020, 10:00
- Former schema-hegumen Sergy refuses to go to questionings for fear of contracting Covid-19 28 October 2020, 20:07
- Russian Orthodox Church shocked by changes at Istanbul's Chora Monastery recently turned into mosque 28 October 2020, 20:02
- Prosecutors seeking 18 years in penal colony for head of Russian cell of Aum Shinrikyo 28 October 2020, 18:14
- Kantor reelected president of European Jewish Congress 28 October 2020, 15:12
- Kadyrov urges Macron to stop backing publication of Prophet Muhammad cartoons 27 October 2020, 18:20
- Russian court rejects appeal from Jehovah's Witness from Denmark on replacing remaining prison term with fine 27 October 2020, 18:14
- Russia has 1 mln Jews - FJCR 27 October 2020, 10:56
- Head of the Church of Cyprus recognizes OCU autocephaly 26 October 2020, 13:30
- Tikhanovskaya urges religious communities to support the strike 26 October 2020, 12:07
- Head of Jehovah's Witnesses cell in Kirov was fined for about 6,500 USD 23 October 2020, 18:32
- Over 20 "caliphate builders" exposed in North Caucasus 23 October 2020, 12:38
- Russian Church concerned about possibility of illegal use of personal data 22 October 2020, 20:15