27 October 2020, 18:14
Russian court rejects appeal from Jehovah's Witness from Denmark on replacing remaining prison term with fine
Kursk, October 27, Interfax - The Lgov District Court in the Kursk Region of Russia has turned down a petition filed by Dennis Christensen, a member of the Jehovah's Witnesses, a religious organization outlawed in Russia, on mitigating his sentence by replacing the remainder of his prison term with a fine.
"The Lgov District Court of the Kursk Region has declined the petition due to the convict's unstable behavior at the penitentiary," the court said in a report.
The court's ruling has not yet taken legal effect and may be appealed.
A statement posted on the website of the Jehovah's Witnesses says the court based its ruling on Christensen's refusal to work in the prison workshop, even though Christensen's health does not allow him to take such a job.
Christensen was detained in 2017 in a building on Zheleznodorozhnaya Street in Oryol, where the local Jehovah's Witnesses held Bible readings. A local court ruled to take him into pretrial custody on May 25, 2017. The Zheleznodorozhny District Court in Oryol ruled in February 2019 to find Christensen guilty of organizing the activities of an extremist group and sentenced him to six years in a general-security penitentiary.
The Lgov District Court in the Kursk Region ruled in June 2020 to replace the remainder of the prison term that Christensen had yet to serve with a fine of 400,000 rubles. However, the Kursk Regional Court overturned this ruling and ordered a new hearing in September 2020.
The Russian Supreme Court ruled on April 20, 2017 to grant the Justice Ministry's motion on outlawing the Jehovah's Witnesses in Russia as an extremist organization. The Supreme Court's Appeals Board upheld the ruling on July 17, 2017.
- Russian court refuses to arrest 3 Jehovah's Witnesses accused of setting up extremist organization 27 November 2020, 18:41
- Press secretary of Belarusian Orthodox Church who condemned dismantling memorial to late activist Bondarenko in Minsk resigns 27 November 2020, 15:31
- Courts extends detention of 3 managers of Jehovah's Witnesses Administrative Center in Russia, all charged with setting up extremist organization 26 November 2020, 20:11
- Amendments to Russian Family Code affirming supremacy of Constitution, 'moral fundamentals' over int'l law pass 1st reading in State Duma 26 November 2020, 16:08
- Jehovah's Witnesses Detained in Russia charged with setting up extremist organization, Investigative Committee requests their arrest - court 26 November 2020, 16:06
- Rabbi Lazar rejected accusations of Jewish communities in irresponsible attitude to the pandemic 26 November 2020, 15:19
- Russian expert sees danger in Turkey's aspiration to become Islamic world leader 26 November 2020, 14:53
- Rostov-on-Don court sentences leader of Aum Shinrikyo, banned in Russia, to 15 years in high-security penitentiary 26 November 2020, 13:24
- Lawyers appeal extension of custody for Church of Last Testament founder, 2 other defendants 25 November 2020, 20:09
- Russian Orthodox Church appreciates Cypriot bishops who refuse to recognize new church of Ukraine 25 November 2020, 18:45
- Church of Cyprus's Synod supports recognition of new church of Ukraine 25 November 2020, 16:03
- Jehovah's Witnesses' activities still banned in Russia - Peskov 25 November 2020, 12:51
- Several Jehovah's Witnesses leaders detained in Russia - Investigative Committee 24 November 2020, 11:39
- Court fines Pussy Riot member Nikulshina for event in support of LGBT in Moscow 23 November 2020, 13:35
- There's some progress in Alexander Metochion issue - Israeli ambassador to Russia 23 November 2020, 10:00
- Putin urges preservation of historic sites, sacred religious places in Karabakh conflict zone 20 November 2020, 19:55
- Patriarch Kirill ceases liturgical commemoration of archbishop of Cyprus for backing schism in Ukraine 20 November 2020, 17:47
- Putin offers condolences to president of Serbia on death of Patriarch Irinej 20 November 2020, 17:35
- Russian Orthodox Church mourns death of Serbian Patriarch Irinej 20 November 2020, 13:05
- Metropolitan of Tatarstan dies of Covid-19 <>(updated) 20 November 2020, 11:37
- Armenian church leader thanks Putin for preserving Armenian cultural heritage in Karabakh 20 November 2020, 10:58
- Russian Orthodox Church denies Serbian Patriarch Irinej deceased 19 November 2020, 17:40
- Free visits may be arranged for believers to ancient Christian monastery in northern Karabakh - Russian military 16 November 2020, 17:34
- Karabakh archbishop hospitalized after heart attack 16 November 2020, 14:23
- Putin calls for preserving churches in the transferred territories of Karabakh 16 November 2020, 11:23
- Azerbaijanis desecrated cathedral in Shushi - Armenian Church 16 November 2020, 11:11
- Metropolitan Hilarion speaks of risks of start of third world war 16 November 2020, 11:09
- Russian Orthodox Church expects Biden to stop supporting abortion, sex change operations 16 November 2020, 10:49
- Spiritual Muslim Board of Russia denies existence of overwhelming support for ban on marrying non-Muslim women 11 November 2020, 19:21
- Novosibirsk court outlaws Khakassia branch of Chinese sect Falun Gong for first time in Russia 10 November 2020, 15:32