28 October 2020, 20:07
Former schema-hegumen Sergy refuses to go to questionings for fear of contracting Covid-19
Yekaterinburg, October 28, Interfax - Former Schema-Hegumen Sergy Romanov has a right not to come to questionings about the criminal cases opened in connection with the visit by a commission of the Yekaterinburg Diocese of the Sredneuralsky Convent, Sergy's associate Vsevolod Moguchev said.
"The directorate of the Investigative Committee, which is conducting the investigation [...] are making Schema-Hegumen Sergy to personally come to the Investigative Committee for a questioning [...] The Investigative Committee is losing more and more employees because of Covid-19. Schema-Hegumen Sergy has every reason not to go to this hotspot of a viral infection," Moguchev said in a video published on his YouTube channel.
Svetlana Gerasimova, a lawyer for the former schema-hegumen, earlier told Interfax that two criminal cases had been opened based on the articles dealing with violation of the right to freedom of conscience and religion and arbitrariness following the barring of the Yekaterinburg Diocese committee from the territory of the convent for an inventory. The former schema-monk is a witness in these cases.
The former schema-hegumen earlier said the coronavirus pandemic was a myth and called for disobedience of the church administration and the authorities. Among other things, he cursed those who closed churches during the pandemic. The court fined Romanov 90,000 rubles for disseminating fakes about coronavirus. In July, Patriarch Kirill approved the decision of the Yekaterinburg diocesan court to find Romanov guilty of breaching monastic vows and his priestly oath and defrock him. A diocesan court decided to excommunicate Romanov in September. Patriarch Kirill approved that decision in October.
The former schema-hegumen has said more than once he has no intention of leaving the Sredneuralsky Convent.
The Yekaterinburg Diocese has created a commission to inventory the immovable property in the Sredneuralsky Convent, where Romanov is. In September, the commission was barred from the territory of the convent and Romanov's associates said they intended to turn to the law enforcement agencies regarding the visit.
- Russian court refuses to arrest 3 Jehovah's Witnesses accused of setting up extremist organization 27 November 2020, 18:41
- Press secretary of Belarusian Orthodox Church who condemned dismantling memorial to late activist Bondarenko in Minsk resigns 27 November 2020, 15:31
- Courts extends detention of 3 managers of Jehovah's Witnesses Administrative Center in Russia, all charged with setting up extremist organization 26 November 2020, 20:11
- Amendments to Russian Family Code affirming supremacy of Constitution, 'moral fundamentals' over int'l law pass 1st reading in State Duma 26 November 2020, 16:08
- Jehovah's Witnesses Detained in Russia charged with setting up extremist organization, Investigative Committee requests their arrest - court 26 November 2020, 16:06
- Rabbi Lazar rejected accusations of Jewish communities in irresponsible attitude to the pandemic 26 November 2020, 15:19
- Russian expert sees danger in Turkey's aspiration to become Islamic world leader 26 November 2020, 14:53
- Rostov-on-Don court sentences leader of Aum Shinrikyo, banned in Russia, to 15 years in high-security penitentiary 26 November 2020, 13:24
- Lawyers appeal extension of custody for Church of Last Testament founder, 2 other defendants 25 November 2020, 20:09
- Russian Orthodox Church appreciates Cypriot bishops who refuse to recognize new church of Ukraine 25 November 2020, 18:45
- Church of Cyprus's Synod supports recognition of new church of Ukraine 25 November 2020, 16:03
- Jehovah's Witnesses' activities still banned in Russia - Peskov 25 November 2020, 12:51
- Several Jehovah's Witnesses leaders detained in Russia - Investigative Committee 24 November 2020, 11:39
- Court fines Pussy Riot member Nikulshina for event in support of LGBT in Moscow 23 November 2020, 13:35
- There's some progress in Alexander Metochion issue - Israeli ambassador to Russia 23 November 2020, 10:00
- Putin urges preservation of historic sites, sacred religious places in Karabakh conflict zone 20 November 2020, 19:55
- Patriarch Kirill ceases liturgical commemoration of archbishop of Cyprus for backing schism in Ukraine 20 November 2020, 17:47
- Putin offers condolences to president of Serbia on death of Patriarch Irinej 20 November 2020, 17:35
- Russian Orthodox Church mourns death of Serbian Patriarch Irinej 20 November 2020, 13:05
- Metropolitan of Tatarstan dies of Covid-19 <>(updated) 20 November 2020, 11:37
- Armenian church leader thanks Putin for preserving Armenian cultural heritage in Karabakh 20 November 2020, 10:58
- Russian Orthodox Church denies Serbian Patriarch Irinej deceased 19 November 2020, 17:40
- Free visits may be arranged for believers to ancient Christian monastery in northern Karabakh - Russian military 16 November 2020, 17:34
- Karabakh archbishop hospitalized after heart attack 16 November 2020, 14:23
- Putin calls for preserving churches in the transferred territories of Karabakh 16 November 2020, 11:23
- Azerbaijanis desecrated cathedral in Shushi - Armenian Church 16 November 2020, 11:11
- Metropolitan Hilarion speaks of risks of start of third world war 16 November 2020, 11:09
- Russian Orthodox Church expects Biden to stop supporting abortion, sex change operations 16 November 2020, 10:49
- Spiritual Muslim Board of Russia denies existence of overwhelming support for ban on marrying non-Muslim women 11 November 2020, 19:21
- Novosibirsk court outlaws Khakassia branch of Chinese sect Falun Gong for first time in Russia 10 November 2020, 15:32