30 October 2020, 16:41
Kremlin sees no connection between attack on police station in Tatarstan and events in France (updated)
Moscow, October 30, Interfax - The Kremlin does not see any direct connection between a teenager's attack on a police station in Tatarstan and the terrorist attacks which occurred in France after the publication of Prophet Muhammad cartoons.
"The events in France are French events. Here [in Tatarstan] this is just another crime. A completely criminal offense. What connection could there be here?" Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov said in response to a question from the media.
As to whether the attack perpetrated in Tatarstan might bear any relation to the terror attacks in France, Peskov said, "We don't know that. No doubt, there is some criminal trace here. This is an absolutely criminal offense. Clearly, there will be a criminal inquiry, but I think everything is quite obvious."
The Kremlin is "neither an investigative agency, nor the police," Peskov said.
Peskov referred to the existing legislation in his response to a question whether the Kremlin expects an outbreak of extremist attacks.
"Russia has the current legislation, and this isn't about religion or a particular religious denomination, this is about the legislation that we have now. If you commit a crime, you are punished consistent with the law. Punishment must be completely unavoidable. Also, Russia has definitive laws, which prevent people from committing actions that might hurt the feelings of believers. This is what we proceed from," Peskov said.
An informed source told Interfax earlier that the attack on the police station in Tatarstan might have been provoked by the recent tragic events connected with the publication of cartoons of Prophet Muhammad.
The Russian Investigative Committee reported the opening a criminal case on counts of an attempted terror attack after a teenager attacked a police station in Kukmor.
- Patriarch Kirill grants request to retire of Metropolitan Juvenaly 14 April 2021, 18:12
- Influx of migrants contributing to emergence of hotbeds of interfaith tensions in Crimea - Patrushev 14 April 2021, 17:25
- Jehovah's Witnesses cell busted in Russia's Tula 14 April 2021, 12:21
- Yekaterinburg Diocese says nuns, lay sisters from closed Sredneuralsky Convent may choose any of its convents 14 April 2021, 10:51
- Nuns leaving Sredneuralsky Convent, diocese reps sealing off premises 14 April 2021, 10:46
- Court orders residents of Sredneuralsky Convent to leave its premises 14 April 2021, 10:40
- Russian FM speaks of important global role of Russian Orthodox Church, supports its initiatives 08 April 2021, 18:02
- Court of appeals declines to soften sentence given to leader of Aum Shinrikyo's Russian cell 08 April 2021, 10:00
- Russian man charged with organizing erotic photo shoot in UAE facing at least 6 months in prison 05 April 2021, 18:16
- Moscow court keeps former Urals schema monk Sergy in custody 05 April 2021, 17:55
- Presumed supporter of Ukrainian nationalists detained in Barnaul confesses to plotting to blow up mosque – FSB 02 April 2021, 17:53
- The FJCR official calls "the oldest manuscript" of Torah a fake 02 April 2021, 10:00
- St. Petersburg court bans mobile app of Jehovah's Witnesses in Russia 01 April 2021, 10:00
- Serial destroyer of angel sculptures detained in St. Petersburg 31 March 2021, 13:31
- Abortions in Russia dropped almost 40% over past 5 years 31 March 2021, 10:00
- Putin pledges to prevent foreign interethnic conflicts from spilling over into Russia 30 March 2021, 16:01
- Polarized opinions on acceptability of in vitro fertilization observed in Russian Orthodox Church 30 March 2021, 10:00
- Russian Jews launch a project Be free through vaccination 26 March 2021, 11:28
- Patriarch Kirill stresses importance of ensuring life without upheavals at memorial service on 220th anniversary of Emperor Pavel I's murder 25 March 2021, 10:00
- Jewish publishing house refuses to participate in a book fair as it falls on Passover 23 March 2021, 18:53
- Islamic radicals intensifying activity in Urals due to uncontrolled immigration - Patrushev 23 March 2021, 17:51
- Security Council secretary calls West's aspiration to push its norms, ideals, reforms on Russia dangerous 23 March 2021, 17:13
- A Muslim woman from the Moscow Region searches for a second wife for her husband 22 March 2021, 16:45
- Pashinyan believes revolution in Armenia was based on Christian values 22 March 2021, 13:55
- FBK lawyer Sobol attends church service in violation of conditions of her house arrest 22 March 2021, 10:00
- Yakut shaman Gabyshev found insane 19 March 2021, 13:57
- Memorial to Holocaust victims unveiled at Israeli embassy in Moscow 18 March 2021, 09:31
- Resident of St. Petersburg beats a muscovite to death as he took him for devilry 16 March 2021, 18:55
- Moscow Jewish museum organizes an exhibition about the Holocaust in PACE 16 March 2021, 14:28
- One in 8 Russians plan to observe Lent this year - poll 16 March 2021, 10:00