30 October 2020, 16:41
Kremlin sees no connection between attack on police station in Tatarstan and events in France (updated)
Moscow, October 30, Interfax - The Kremlin does not see any direct connection between a teenager's attack on a police station in Tatarstan and the terrorist attacks which occurred in France after the publication of Prophet Muhammad cartoons.
"The events in France are French events. Here [in Tatarstan] this is just another crime. A completely criminal offense. What connection could there be here?" Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov said in response to a question from the media.
As to whether the attack perpetrated in Tatarstan might bear any relation to the terror attacks in France, Peskov said, "We don't know that. No doubt, there is some criminal trace here. This is an absolutely criminal offense. Clearly, there will be a criminal inquiry, but I think everything is quite obvious."
The Kremlin is "neither an investigative agency, nor the police," Peskov said.
Peskov referred to the existing legislation in his response to a question whether the Kremlin expects an outbreak of extremist attacks.
"Russia has the current legislation, and this isn't about religion or a particular religious denomination, this is about the legislation that we have now. If you commit a crime, you are punished consistent with the law. Punishment must be completely unavoidable. Also, Russia has definitive laws, which prevent people from committing actions that might hurt the feelings of believers. This is what we proceed from," Peskov said.
An informed source told Interfax earlier that the attack on the police station in Tatarstan might have been provoked by the recent tragic events connected with the publication of cartoons of Prophet Muhammad.
The Russian Investigative Committee reported the opening a criminal case on counts of an attempted terror attack after a teenager attacked a police station in Kukmor.
- Russian court refuses to arrest 3 Jehovah's Witnesses accused of setting up extremist organization 27 November 2020, 18:41
- Press secretary of Belarusian Orthodox Church who condemned dismantling memorial to late activist Bondarenko in Minsk resigns 27 November 2020, 15:31
- Courts extends detention of 3 managers of Jehovah's Witnesses Administrative Center in Russia, all charged with setting up extremist organization 26 November 2020, 20:11
- Amendments to Russian Family Code affirming supremacy of Constitution, 'moral fundamentals' over int'l law pass 1st reading in State Duma 26 November 2020, 16:08
- Jehovah's Witnesses Detained in Russia charged with setting up extremist organization, Investigative Committee requests their arrest - court 26 November 2020, 16:06
- Rabbi Lazar rejected accusations of Jewish communities in irresponsible attitude to the pandemic 26 November 2020, 15:19
- Russian expert sees danger in Turkey's aspiration to become Islamic world leader 26 November 2020, 14:53
- Rostov-on-Don court sentences leader of Aum Shinrikyo, banned in Russia, to 15 years in high-security penitentiary 26 November 2020, 13:24
- Lawyers appeal extension of custody for Church of Last Testament founder, 2 other defendants 25 November 2020, 20:09
- Russian Orthodox Church appreciates Cypriot bishops who refuse to recognize new church of Ukraine 25 November 2020, 18:45
- Church of Cyprus's Synod supports recognition of new church of Ukraine 25 November 2020, 16:03
- Jehovah's Witnesses' activities still banned in Russia - Peskov 25 November 2020, 12:51
- Several Jehovah's Witnesses leaders detained in Russia - Investigative Committee 24 November 2020, 11:39
- Court fines Pussy Riot member Nikulshina for event in support of LGBT in Moscow 23 November 2020, 13:35
- There's some progress in Alexander Metochion issue - Israeli ambassador to Russia 23 November 2020, 10:00
- Putin urges preservation of historic sites, sacred religious places in Karabakh conflict zone 20 November 2020, 19:55
- Patriarch Kirill ceases liturgical commemoration of archbishop of Cyprus for backing schism in Ukraine 20 November 2020, 17:47
- Putin offers condolences to president of Serbia on death of Patriarch Irinej 20 November 2020, 17:35
- Russian Orthodox Church mourns death of Serbian Patriarch Irinej 20 November 2020, 13:05
- Metropolitan of Tatarstan dies of Covid-19 <>(updated) 20 November 2020, 11:37
- Armenian church leader thanks Putin for preserving Armenian cultural heritage in Karabakh 20 November 2020, 10:58
- Russian Orthodox Church denies Serbian Patriarch Irinej deceased 19 November 2020, 17:40
- Free visits may be arranged for believers to ancient Christian monastery in northern Karabakh - Russian military 16 November 2020, 17:34
- Karabakh archbishop hospitalized after heart attack 16 November 2020, 14:23
- Putin calls for preserving churches in the transferred territories of Karabakh 16 November 2020, 11:23
- Azerbaijanis desecrated cathedral in Shushi - Armenian Church 16 November 2020, 11:11
- Metropolitan Hilarion speaks of risks of start of third world war 16 November 2020, 11:09
- Russian Orthodox Church expects Biden to stop supporting abortion, sex change operations 16 November 2020, 10:49
- Spiritual Muslim Board of Russia denies existence of overwhelming support for ban on marrying non-Muslim women 11 November 2020, 19:21
- Novosibirsk court outlaws Khakassia branch of Chinese sect Falun Gong for first time in Russia 10 November 2020, 15:32